PDA

View Full Version : city names

cantab27
01-22-2011, 02:06 AM
its a link sorry ,,with hitting but :thumbsup:

http://thebestthings.wordpress.com/2007/06/01/the-22-worst-place-names-in-the-world/

4.3LXJ
01-22-2011, 10:06 AM
That was funny. Now for a true story.

When I was a student at Oregon State University, I met a middle aged Aussie woman, fresh off the plane. She told us without embarassment that she had a little language problem. In Aussie, a "rubber" is an eraser. Here it is a condom. She apparently tapped the shoulder of a young man in front of her and said: "Hey mate, may I borrow your rubber?" We got a good laugh over it here anyway.

4.3LXJ
01-22-2011, 10:14 AM
We have some good city names here too. Most of them are mining towns. Just up the road from me is the town of Paradise, where Payless 4X4 lives. However it used to be "Pair O' Dice" Lots of Christians moved in and decided they needed to get away from the gambling and prostitution the town was famous for, so they named it Paradise. It is just up the road from Helltown, which is now a ghost town. I know some conservative Christians who used to live there. They would head home from church and say. "We are going to Hell now"

Up by where my sons live is the town of Rough and Ready. It is not far from You Bet and Red Dog. You cannot find Red Dog now. I finally found out why. They found out there was gold under the town and began hydraulic mining there and washed it away.

OrangeXJ
01-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Down here we have a town named Cut N Shoot

4.3LXJ
01-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Went to a Ghost Town today called Shasta City. To get there we had to go through Poverty Flat. However when the county seat was moved from Shasta City to Poverty Flat, it was renamed to what you now know as Redding, CA

BlueXJ
01-23-2011, 09:54 PM
I wanna go to Titty Hill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OrangeXJ
01-24-2011, 04:32 AM
I wanna go to Titty Hill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What he said

ice_cold
01-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Dildo, Newfoundland...been around since the 1700"s

Just "down " the road from Titty Hill....grin

4x4Dalton
01-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Town close to where I used to live is called Hell Bend. It was named for the 90 degree turn you have to make to get there.

PolarXJ
01-25-2011, 01:32 PM
:smiley-laughing021: And I thought Tooele (To-willa) was odd that way it was spoken compared to how it was written.

prerunner1982
01-25-2011, 01:55 PM
All of these in Oklahoma..
Ghost towns:
America
Beer City
Boggy Depot
Button Springs
Cowboy Flats
Gotebo
Gumbo Pit
Hext