PDA

View Full Version : arb bar movement

cantab27
01-20-2011, 12:42 PM
hey all ,,i run a arb front bar
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/Image0292.jpg

now the d shackles all look good sitting there but not much cop for quick recoveries .....point being when it got stuck last (i was not driving ) it was in deep water ,,have been told it took 3 good goes with strop to get it out in a hurry :boohoo:
now with the shackles being on the bottom the force of the pull has pulled bar up :headshake:.... not good ... i was thinking of bolting a couple of recovery hooks up in middle of bar ,,, or should i just sell it and get a new one made up ,,, i have a airbag (sometimes two if wife is in jeep ) so it would have to be airbag compatible

any thoughts .......

ironmanandy
01-20-2011, 01:14 PM
I have always loved to look of this bumper but never understood why they put those mounts so low. I had a few buddies with these in college and we just cut the rock catchers off and mounted new ones through the face of the bumper as high a we could on either side of the winch mount.

all 3 of them turned out great. we just painted the new parts and the grinds a satin black to try to match the powder. Its not a perfect match but we scratched them up all the time anyway.

Good luck
Andy

cantab27
01-20-2011, 06:34 PM
I have always loved to look of this bumper but never understood why they put those mounts so low. I had a few buddies with these in college and we just cut the rock catchers off and mounted new ones through the face of the bumper as high a we could on either side of the winch mount.

all 3 of them turned out great. we just painted the new parts and the grinds a satin black to try to match the powder. Its not a perfect match but we scratched them up all the time anyway.

Good luck
Andy

yep strange set up alright ,,, Aussie stuff ,, maybe no mud over there to get stuck in .... any pics of that set up Andy ,,, no worries if not ,,,,:thumbsup:

gary63
01-21-2011, 07:31 AM
I would leave them and just add 2 more higher up that way you have diffent piont to hook up. exampul when you are in deep mud the low ones will pull the front up out of the mud so it's not sucked down and pushing as much mud.And the higher ones are for straght pulls for more fores.I have use both one time the low ones with my winch hook up high on a tree to lift and them the high ones hook up with a pull strap for pull straight out.

4.3LXJ
01-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Wayne

You said it pulled the bar up. Did it bend it or move the mounts on the frame?

cantab27
01-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Wayne

You said it pulled the bar up. Did it bend it or move the mounts on the frame?

yes i would say they have been damaged ,, no way bar has been bent , not the amount of bolts its got hanging on to it ... bar has to come off again and will have to beef mounts up ...still waiting for pics Steve ,,, she must have been well stuck ....:headshake:...i know the dizzy had to be dried out ...
and when centre console has water in it ,,, well look at my avatar...:smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
01-21-2011, 07:04 PM
yes i would say they have been damaged ,, no way bar has been bent , not the amount of bolts its got hanging on to it ... bar has to come off again and will have to beef mounts up ...still waiting for pics Steve ,,, she must have been well stuck ....:headshake:...i know the dizzy had to be dried out ...
and when centre console has water in it ,,, well look at my avatar...:smiley-laughing021:

That is not a periscope on that sub, its a snorkel :D