PDA

View Full Version : thinking about changing your differential gears yourself?

LizardRunner
01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
When I first started racing I tended to stay out of the way of the mechanics. I figured that since I was only hired to drive the car, offroad "truck" or bike, that I needed to know at least a little about how things worked on what I was expected to drive as fast as it could go. I found that the head mechanics were willing to show me things as long as I stayed out of their way and I was very willing to do that.

One of the things that always intrigued me was the rear end. most of the cars I was in had "quick change" rear ends. It was pretty wild to watch a guy pull bolts and carefully lift out a hanger and then reverse the operation to get me a higher top end or more torque for take off. Even wilder was watching him take a gear set apart and put in brand spanking new ones to make sure I could at least get to the finish line. The ones that were really interesting were the four wheel drive Baja 1000 rigs, I can only say that I was an expert at breaking things and that this race gave me all the opportunities one driver could ever want.

Now that I have a jeep, I so want to make sure I have the right gearing for all the things I want to do with Da Lizard especially when I get to the lift and larger tires. The one thing I learned a long time ago was, when it's something that takes an expert to do right as well as quick, pay the money and get out of the way. For those here that are wanting to do a gear swap themselves, it can be done. The questions are few, do you have the right tools? do you have the patience? do you have the meticulous nature to not screw up?

The following link is to an excellent write up with pictures and most all the information you need to tackle this daunting (to me) task. I know a good rear end guy so I will be letting him earn my bucks.

http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

msmoorenburg
01-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Great info:thumbsup:

gary63
01-21-2011, 10:20 AM
that is a good wright up and web site thanks:thumbsup:

03ghosthemi
01-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the link! I check out Pirate from time to time and never noticed this write up. Im getting ready to try to set up my own gears in my HP44 and 9in. Its about the only thing I havent tried. But just in case I have a friend who will be there for back up.

Bill

TeXJ
01-27-2011, 10:21 AM
i wanna know more about the racing you did, like most i always wanted/want to be a Racecar Driver!

So lets hear some stories, like how you got started, how you got sponsors and such, and why you are living in Arkansas and not the southwest anymore :D

LizardRunner
01-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Man, that could probably be a book, but I guess I could start a thread about the life and times of LizardRunner. LOL

PolarXJ
01-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the info an link. I've always wanted to install it myself, mostly because the first shop I took mine to wasn't to careful in keeping the inside clean. I've since found a better shop.