PDA

View Full Version : leaf springs to coils

tom tom
01-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Any one know of a good write up on how to do away with the xj rear leaf springs and go to coils ?

4.3LXJ
01-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Are you fabricating or looking to buy a kit?

BlueXJ
01-21-2011, 05:45 PM
I have seen articles on doing this on PBB but never have actually seen one completed. Good luck tom tom.

4.3LXJ
01-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Tom Tom

There are kits available for this, several I have seen. If you are not a GOOD fabricator, then I suggest you buy a kit. However, most of the kits I have seen are aimed at off road only and not daily drivers. Things like legal exhaust just done find any room in a four link set up.

xj4life2
01-21-2011, 07:50 PM
There are a few good write ups on naxja , most people are doing away with the coils all together and doing the coil over shocks pricey but very cool

Tural
01-21-2011, 07:59 PM
There are a few good write ups on naxja , most people are doing away with the coils all together and doing the coil over shocks pricey but very cool

that sounds kinda iffy... shock brackets are not mounted above the axle. recipe for disaster

tom tom
01-21-2011, 11:04 PM
I am kicking around the idea of fabing something up.Would like to get better flex . First I was thinking of useing a grand cherokee set up but leaning toward a tj . Still in the planing and research stage . The finnished idea would be a rubicon xj complete with the locker axles and long arms front and rear.

PolarXJ
01-24-2011, 01:37 PM
I would check out NAXJA for ideas. Keep us posted, I'm thinking of doing it as well, though that is probably a bit down the road. I've got to get some other stuff done first.

tom tom
01-24-2011, 01:45 PM
yes I hear you on others things to get done first. Just doing the research and a parts list for now . This way I can pick up parts along the way. The main thing is getting my xj ready for the up and coming year. the jeep blessing is less than 3 months away. Plus at this time I have a stroker project in the works

PolarXJ
01-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Are you going to do a write up on your stroker build? My BIL wants to build one.

xj4life2
01-26-2011, 11:50 AM
that sounds kinda iffy... shock brackets are not mounted above the axle. recipe for disaster

Very true, you would need to move the lower brackets and re enforce the top via a hoop or something of that nature , Ive seen a few done, thier very nice and articulate extreamly well

tom tom
01-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Thinking of using a hoop for the rear shocks . I have not done a build thread yet for anything that I have done but it is tempting

XJ4IV
02-06-2011, 03:42 PM
the easiest thing to use is gonna be ZJ setups... How much lift are you wanting? I know that the factory FRONT coils on the rear gives you 3 inches of lift.. take it from there as far as how HIGH you wanna go! but yes in ALL honesty the easiest way to go is to just do coilovers and make a cross member on the frame... not the CHEAPEST but will give you the BEST results! remember you gotta add upper and lower control arms and a track bar to do the coils in the back and unless your staying around 3-4 inches you gotta go aftermarket for everything!

GGXJ
03-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Can't do a radius arm style setup on the rear in leiu of upper/lower control arms?

It is cool in theory, but I think it's more trouble than it's worth for the relatively small gain in articulation. But to each his own. Good luck with it and I'd love to see a write up!