PDA

View Full Version : Used Motor

BrianXJ
01-20-2011, 02:53 AM
I have found a 4.0 that came out of a buggy. The price is right but I dont want to be took to the cleaners. What would be all the issues that I would need to check before committing to a buy? I know that I will replace all the gaskets and seals before installing the motor into my XJ. I would like some advice on the majors. Granted this 4.0 was fuel injected and has been converted to carb injected. I am planning on putting all my fuel injection parts from my motor on this motor if bought. What are you guys suggestions? Should I look the motor over and replace or should I look for another Jeep and remove my D44 rear and put into a newer jeep that is better condition than mine and use mine for a parts jeep

Weldmen
01-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Well if you can here it run, listen for ticks and knocks. If not... then I would call the psychic hot line. Cuz you never know ya know? :cool:

bigjim350
01-20-2011, 02:29 PM
If you can't here it run, I would be a little leary over buying it. Cause its in a buggy you know it was used hard many times. And also since it was converted to carb, that means there was no ecm to hit the rev limiter, so it could have been over reved many times.

BrianXJ
01-21-2011, 01:18 AM
So should I buy it and go through it from top to bottom and rebuild the thing to a stroker before installing it?

LizardRunner
01-21-2011, 04:10 PM
if you are going to build a stroker, go for it cause your going to do a complete strip job, magniflux, hot tub on the block and head anyway. Aren't you?

may pop
01-22-2011, 03:02 PM
If you decide to buy it tell the owner you will only pay 1/2 price upon delivery. The second 1/2 will be given when it is proven that its a solid running quiet engine. If he says no than its probably junk. Other option is buy a junk XJ and throw its engine in yours so you can hear it run and maybe drive it.
Ron

BrianXJ
01-22-2011, 08:46 PM
I talked to him again and he said I could come and get it and he will even let me borrow a stand to disassemble the engine on and check everything out. I am thinking that it is a good motor. But, I still want to be sure before I put it in my XJ

Weldmen
01-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Whats he askin for it $ Brian?

BrianXJ
01-22-2011, 10:27 PM
$150

BrianXJ
01-23-2011, 04:54 AM
Anyone know where is the best place to buy a good quality rebuild kit for the 4.0??? Reasonably cheap but good quality. i know you have to pay for quality but someone may know something

LizardRunner
01-24-2011, 09:27 AM
http://www.rpmmachine.com/engine-rebuild-kits-budget.shtml http://www.enginepartsstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=1053 There's two really decient kits at good prices.

PolarXJ
01-24-2011, 01:22 PM
I find it odd that a buggy guy convert a injected motor to be carb'ed. Check out the bosses on the side of the engine for cracks. Being a buggy, the chances it rolled are great and the stress will show up on the motor mount bosses.

If you can't here it run, I would be a little leary over buying it. Cause its in a buggy you know it was used hard many times. And also since it was converted to carb, that means there was no ecm to hit the rev limiter, so it could have been over reved many times. This is very good point. :thumbsup:

tom tom
01-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Sorry to say but if the engine had no problems he would be asking more it would seem. Unless the seller is one of those guys that just give stuff away.

BrianXJ
01-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Well he has been a friend of the family for years. He was going to put it in another jeep then things changed and he sold the jeep and now the motor is sitting in his way.

LizardRunner
01-24-2011, 03:26 PM
sounds like he just wants it to go to a good home maybe? at that price it is worth at least looking at carefully I'd think.