PDA

View Full Version : Not charging

Weldmen
01-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Ok, as most of you know about a month ago my xj died. Found out after replacing the CPS plugs wires coil and the pick up coil in the distributor, I had a blown fuse in the under hood box. So now I have another issue. It still starts and runs but for some reason will not charge.
Before any of this started I re centered the front axle by unbolting the pan Hard bar, drilled a new hole and Welded in some washers where the bolt goes threw. Does anyone think that by welding on my rig would have fried the voltage regulator in the computer? I have had some yes and No's to this from parts people. I have welded on countless vehicles before without any problems with computers. I dropped off the Alternator to be tested, will know tomorrow if its bad.
So the question is, is it bad to weld on a vehicle with a computer and could this cause ECM to fail?
Tell me what you think. :confused:

88AMCOMANCHE
01-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Cant answer the ? , But I will soon have my floorboard welded on,so I will be checking back to se if anyone answers this within the next few weeks.

4.3LXJ
01-19-2011, 11:24 PM
I ruined an Optima yellow top welding on the rig without disconnecting the battery, and almost the red top too, but managed to save it.

Mudderoy
01-20-2011, 01:21 AM
I ruined an Optima yellow top welding on the rig without disconnecting the battery, and almost the red top too, but managed to save it.

Why? There's no connection between the positive and negative of the battery.

Weldmen
01-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Ok guys got the call back from Napa on the alternator. It tested bad, nothing, notta. So going with a new 90 amp one for $145.00 :shocker:

4.3LXJ
01-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Why? There's no connection between the positive and negative of the battery.

That was my reasoning Tony. However after I was through welding on my front axle to fix my track bar mount, both of my batteries were discharged completely. My yellow top would accept a charge and quickly in the space of a few minutes go from 12 to 10V. Dead cell. My red top would discharge in a few hours. I finally got it straightened out so it is OK. I had heard you were supposed to disconnect them when welding and never had a problem before. But apparently they discharged backwards through the ground after a considerable amount of welding.

Mudderoy
01-20-2011, 02:26 PM
That was my reasoning Tony. However after I was through welding on my front axle to fix my track bar mount, both of my batteries were discharged completely. My yellow top would accept a charge and quickly in the space of a few minutes go from 12 to 10V. Dead cell. My red top would discharge in a few hours. I finally got it straightened out so it is OK. I had heard you were supposed to disconnect them when welding and never had a problem before. But apparently they discharged backwards through the ground after a considerable amount of welding.

That is really interesting. First hand experience goes a long way with me. I'm adding that to my verified info. :patriot:

may pop
01-22-2011, 03:07 PM
I have weld on many many vehicles,Jeeps included and NEVER had a problem. I believe you just had a bad coinsedence that day. If ever welding on a vehicle again keep the ground cable as close to the welding as possible to play it safe.
Ron

Weldmen
01-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the info, Ya not really sure if that was the reason the alt... Went, but it did test bad. So I will have the new one in on Monday. And hope that does it.. :smiley-gen165:

4.3LXJ
01-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info, Ya not really sure if that was the reason the alt... Went, but it did test bad. So I will have the new one in on Monday. And hope that does it.. :smiley-gen165:

The ground was 4" away. The difference was this time I had the welder turned up to a higher amperage than usual

may pop
01-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Should not matter. How many miles on the alternator? Was it full of mud?

Weldmen
01-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Should not matter. How many miles on the alternator? Was it full of mud?

Nope still looked new.
The update is I bought a new one 100 something amp for $147 w/tx. Installed its yesterday Monday the 24th and it working perfect 14.28 volts at the batt.
:smiley-gen165: Glad it was that and not the PCM. Now the fan bearing in the big bracket is whining. $200+ bucks from the dealer and $79.. from Napa. :headshake:

LizardRunner
01-25-2011, 09:50 AM
I have always been told to disconnect the battery any time your going to weld on a vehicle. The reason, the grounds connect to the frame. I've not done any welding on a live vehicle but the guys that told me did a lot of it. I don't know if that could have fried the alt. but it might be possible. I'm Glad you got your new alt. and all is good.