PDA

View Full Version : Tube fenders

Firemanray
01-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Due to the damage I've caused by not running correct bump stops I'm looking at moving ahead with the tube fenders that I had planned for a much later time. Here is my delima, everyone uses round tube to build there fenders etc. I keep a good selection of square and rectagle tubing on hand. I'm thinking of making my fenders from square tubing. Open for thoughts?!?

bigjim350
01-17-2011, 06:20 PM
I think your best option would to build a set out of both, and give me the set you don't like. But to be serious I think sq. would be okay. Its just hard to bend corners into them, and the tube fenders might look kind of funny if you just did angled cuts welded together. But in the end im sure it would look great either way.

4.3LXJ
01-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Round has better lines.

bluedragon436
01-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Going to have to say that either would be awesome to have... As side square would be harder to bend, so you would pretty much have to notch and then weld on your angles/corners.... instead of just bending them like you would with a common round fenders... I mean if you have plenty of the square stock on hand... I would play around and maybe start making one fender, and see if it comes out like you want it to look...

LizardRunner
01-17-2011, 08:01 PM
well,since you state you have a selection of round, square and rectangle tubing on hand. I say use the rectange. I posted some pics (in this forum for Bear) of a bumper built with that type of tubing that looks simply sweet. then you could use the round for a guard, the square for the end pieces. Just an option of course. I've seen a lot of bumpers built and I have yet to see one that didn't look good that was built by the owner.

jdougn
01-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Are you able to bend the square tubing? I think square would look okay if you can bend the corners. If not, I'd go with the round tubing since it'd bend and look way better.

XJ4IV
01-17-2011, 10:38 PM
KNowing how ray likes to make people drool over his ability... I bet he would miter the square tubing enough that the bends LOOK like rounded bends and not mitered edges.
that would be what I would do... just to be different, also IF it turns out nice I might hit you up for some plans!!!

XJ4IV
01-17-2011, 10:42 PM
matter of fact... you just spurred a thought in my mind... to be different... I MIGHT do a square Exo.... no bending involved since I dont trust my bending ability and Im also GREAT at geometry and I have a cool miter saw chopping blade.... thanks ray

tbone
01-17-2011, 11:28 PM
I've been thinking along those lines my self for a while. I think it would look good on the older, square XJ's. Will be watching to see what you come up with. :thumbsup:

LizardRunner
01-18-2011, 02:55 PM
you can make nice looking, smooth bends by cutting extended pie sections out but leaving the top strap intact. heat with a rose bud and bend over a section of pipe held in a vise to get your desired shape. The pie ends won't meet, so then you cut fill material (take some matching material, hold it underneath the cut and mark the edges with your soap stone, cut these out) and spot weld on one side then the other before welding it all solid. grind smooth and no one will know how you did it once the paint or rhino liner is on. If you need pictures, let me know I can do you a drawing and post it here.

Captain Ruggy
01-18-2011, 04:24 PM
I like the round tube myself, though I may be biased a little. :)

Firemanray
01-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks for everybody's input. It looks like it could go either way. Now that my sliders are done (using square tubing), I kind of like that look. I'll wait and see.