PDA

View Full Version : Safety Reminder

XJ Rat
01-14-2011, 06:07 AM
Last Sunday I was welding and grinding making a bracket for the XJ.

In the evening my left eye was a little sore, no big deal. Monday morning I woke up and my eye was swollen and red. About 6AM boy did it start hurting. Went to the family doctor and he told me, "yep, there is something in your eye, but it appears to be more than I can handle." So he sent me to an opthamologist. I had a metal sliver in my iris. The first doctor got half of it out but then told me the other more experienced doctor needs to take the rest out. After numbing my eye, he got the other half out, then used a 'power reamer' to get the residual rust out. He told me after the pain med wears off it is going to hurt. He wasn't kidding. Tuesday morning driving to work was an experience. I never knew stop lights could make your head pound.

Now it is Friday, two doctor visits and one to go. My vision is still a little blurry in my left eye, but it does not hurt anymore.

I have been a Marine, service mechanic, and machinist. Never got anything in my eyes. Now I did and boy is it painful. Moral to the story, use a faceshield or goggles. I had glasses on, but they did not offer enough protection.

cherok
01-14-2011, 08:14 AM
As I am a SHEQ-officer for profession, safety is my middle name, I think this i a useful thread for everyone.

Eyes are two expensive and useful items in your body.
It would be terrible to miss this:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:MKqjZJFJSYJKBM:http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9276/000597800.jpg&t=1

Mudderoy
01-14-2011, 09:05 AM
As I am a SHEQ-officer for profession, safety is my middle name, I think this i a useful thread for everyone.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:MKqjZJFJSYJKBM:http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9276/000597800.jpg&t=1

But who do you call if you get that in your eye... wait never mind, I'll figure it out... :patriot:

Outlaw
01-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Last Sunday I was welding and grinding making a bracket for the XJ.

In the evening my left eye was a little sore, no big deal. Monday morning I woke up and my eye was swollen and red. About 6AM boy did it start hurting. Went to the family doctor and he told me, "yep, there is something in your eye, but it appears to be more than I can handle." So he sent me to an opthamologist. I had a metal sliver in my iris. The first doctor got half of it out but then told me the other more experienced doctor needs to take the rest out. After numbing my eye, he got the other half out, then used a 'power reamer' to get the residual rust out. He told me after the pain med wears off it is going to hurt. He wasn't kidding. Tuesday morning driving to work was an experience. I never knew stop lights could make your head pound.

Now it is Friday, two doctor visits and one to go. My vision is still a little blurry in my left eye, but it does not hurt anymore.

I have been a Marine, service mechanic, and machinist. Never got anything in my eyes. Now I did and boy is it painful. Moral to the story, use a faceshield or goggles. I had glasses on, but they did not offer enough protection.

I had metal in my eye and it started rusting in like 3hrs! The eye doctor pulled out a what looked like a micro machine melon baller!! worst experience ever... and no kidding about the stop lights, my buddy drove me home and I couldnt even open my eyes it hurt so bad. The blurry vision went away fully after about two days.

PolarXJ
01-14-2011, 11:45 AM
WOW, best of luck to your recovery.

bwh0069
01-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Thanks for heads up.

rugidone
01-18-2011, 08:19 AM
been there. hope it never happens again. I have been in outpatients 6 times in as many months for something in the eye.

LizardRunner
01-18-2011, 01:33 PM
After almost loosing my left eye vision to splinters way back in 73, I now wear saftey glasses and a full shield any time I am working with wood or metal. I had fragments that stuck into the retena, it pulled loose when the doc was removing them, which required "welding the retena back where it belonged. It took two days to get everything out and a year to fully recover from the "accident". I was stupid and didn't have my face shield on. Now I am paranoid to the max when it comes to my eyes, nothing is to good or expensive when it comes to protecting them.

DETOURS
01-19-2011, 07:42 PM
My eyes bleed rust somedays.......only had an exstraction once in 29 years of the trade.......after saying that, I'll most likely be at the doctor tommorrow!

I've gotten pretty good at eye washing......and ALWAYS wear glasses.

Jeepster19
01-19-2011, 09:24 PM
I had the same thing in my eye about eight years ago at work.I was sharpening my scraper on a grinder with the shield down with no safety glasses.Bad idea!!!Had to go to the eye doctor the next day because it wouldn't stop hurting.Eye doc said it was a small sliver of metal,took only a few minutes to remove.Man it sure felt better after he got that damn thing out!!!Now safety glasses are worn always ever since that day.:thumbsup:

TeXJ
01-25-2011, 10:18 AM

Nice R1!

Tural
01-25-2011, 01:04 PM
it's best to use a full face shield or goggles if you're grinding. the air from the grider can push the debris around the safety glasses. i've had to see an eye doctor twice for this. the second time it was stainless and it was already rusting in my eye. it was more painful than a toothache.

cherok
01-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Nice R1!

Yes TeXJ, but if you stare long enough at the R1 a pretty girl will appear in front.:shocker:

BlueXJ
01-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Just had Lasik surgery to correct astigmatism and the eyes have not recovered from that. I can't imagine the pain you went through. Glad you are recovering so well.

TeXJ
01-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Yes TeXJ, but if you stare long enough at the R1 a pretty girl will appear in front.:shocker:

LIES!!!!! :sad0147: