PDA

View Full Version : Rustys Lifts

Outlaw
01-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Ok I've been reading a ton of stuff on lifts here on the forums and have been getting alot of good info. I've pretty much got my heart set on a Rustys lift but I'm torn on which one. So I give the two options Im looking at and would love to hear which one you prefer and why(preference on how high not brand). Oh and Im dealing with and all stock 88 XJ laredo that will be my DD but also my "get the family out of the damn house truck!" Thanks in Advance for you time.

The first one is the 4.5" Spring pack with wheels and tires
The Second is the 6.5" Spring Pack with wheels and tires.

4.3LXJ
01-13-2011, 12:00 PM
A lot of opinions will be based on what part of the country and type of wheeling you do. For instance here in CA where rock crawling is king, my 7.5" lift is kind of normal. The toyotas dwarf me. However in other parts of the country where you might wheel on trails mostly, 4.5" would be very adequate, especially for a family rig. My wife says if mine goes any taller, she won't be able to get into it. Watching my 10 year old granddaughter get in is amusing.

bigjim350
01-13-2011, 12:08 PM
In my opinion you should buy the biggest lift you think you will ever want. All lot of times people with start out with a smaller lift and then change their mind, and spend more money again to get more lift.

Outlaw
01-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Should have added that part haha. Uhwarrie is the most popular place to go which has a great mix of trails rocks and mud. I lived in Phoenix for a long time and I've done the rock crawls but Im looking for something that is capable in ALL conditions. I have three daughters and they all say GO BIG!! haha but I just want something that is a good lift and can get me almost anywhere. And I've never owned a jeep until now so I like to get as much info as possible. Last 4X4 I owned was an 85 Dodge Power wgon with 10" lift in AZ

Mudderoy
01-13-2011, 12:19 PM
I've heard too many bad things about Rustys. Either the product, or when people like the product they didn't like the high shipping.

I've heard they got big really fast and they were not able to grow with the pace of their business. So maybe I'm only seeing the result of another business that has problems because of their stellar success.

Too many questions in my mind to risk it. I look forward to reading about your experience with them.

Outlaw
01-13-2011, 12:36 PM
I've heard too many bad things about Rustys. Either the product, or when people like the product they didn't like the high shipping.

I've heard they got big really fast and they were not able to grow with the pace of their business. So maybe I'm only seeing the result of another business that has problems because of their stellar success.

Too many questions in my mind to risk it. I look forward to reading about your experience with them.

I would have asked which mfg but figured I would get a million different answers... Rustys isnt deffinate as things can always change but I really am new to jeeps so I dont know which to buy. The more research I do the more confused I get, its like trying to figure out women... the more I know about them the more I like my jeep :smiley-laughing021:

bigjim350
01-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Well im biased towards Rough Country cause thats what I run. But the reason I went with them was because I had heard how great their customer service is, and because they have a lifetime warranty. Oh and they are cheap:D

Mudderoy
01-13-2011, 12:41 PM
I would have asked which mfg but figured I would get a million different answers... Rustys isnt deffinate as things can always change but I really am new to jeeps so I dont know which to buy. The more research I do the more confused I get, its like trying to figure out women... the more I know about them the more I like my jeep :smiley-laughing021:

I've heard great things about Rubicon Express. Like BigJim I'm a Rough Country kind of guy. It was cheap.

Outlaw
01-13-2011, 12:43 PM
I've read on alot of company websites that an SYE is recommended on 4.5 and bigger... do any of you have one and if not do you have any issues at full droop?

bigjim350
01-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Im at 6.5" and don't have one. No problems at full droop either. All i have is a transfer case drop, and 4 degree shims on my axle

Mudderoy
01-13-2011, 12:46 PM
I've read on alot of company websites that an SYE is recommended on 4.5 and bigger... do any of you have one and if not do you have any issues at full droop?

My RC 4.5" lift came with a 1" transfer case drop. I don't like it I mean the point of the lift is to raise things up not drop them down, but since I have a NP242 transfer case I'm going with the Tom Woods SYE and that is about $500.

Outlaw
01-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Im at 6.5" and don't have one. No problems at full droop either. All i have is a transfer case drop, and 4 degree shims on my axle

Thats awesome! I know they are useful but really didnt want to spend the extra money and I can fix 99% of anything on a vehicle... that 1% that I cant is Transmission and T-case haha dont really want to get into that just yet.

Mudderoy
01-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Thats awesome! I know they are useful but really didnt want to spend the extra money and I can fix 99% of anything on a vehicle... that 1% that I cant is Transmission and T-case haha dont really want to get into that just yet.

I believe the pre-1997 XJs are more forgiving in the SYE arena.

Outlaw
01-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks you guys for all the great info. I'm off to work, but hope to see alot more opinions when I get home :thumbsup:

rguignard
01-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Well im biased towards Rough Country cause thats what I run. But the reason I went with them was because I had heard how great their customer service is, and because they have a lifetime warranty. Oh and they are cheap:D

I've heard great things about Rubicon Express. Like BigJim I'm a Rough Country kind of guy. It was cheap.

x 3 on the Rough Country :thumbsup: i had a shock start leaking and they sent me a new one no ? asked and sent me some more stickers :thumbsup:

4.3LXJ
01-13-2011, 02:52 PM

The thing about SYEs is that once you get them in, you don't have to mess with them. Also if you go to a larger lift, they are real handy. The NP231 is an easy tcase to take apart and reassemble. So if that is the one you have (check the tag on the back) then it is easy to do. The NP242 has only one option I am aware of and that is the Iron Rock Offroad kit that does not require disassembly. You can also use this kit on the 231. But the AA kit is far superior in strength and has the option of adding a parking brake from Parts Mike on the output flange which is handy if you ever change axel housings or types.