PDA

View Full Version : 94 XJ ltd Dome lights not working

MuscleJeep
01-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Hey guys,

Just bought my first 2 jeeps today :D
One is a 1998 ZG TSI and the other a XJ Ltd 1994

After I picked them both up today came across a problem with the XJ...
None of the Dome (interior) lights work.

Checked the fuse box and all fuses seem to be fine, Stereo works...
and yes... I have checked and globes are fine:smiley-gen165:

If anyone could give me any insight it would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Sam

LizardRunner
01-13-2011, 11:42 AM
check the fuse box under the hood, we have two fuse panels, one under the hood and one inside. If you have the book Just a note; always check the quality of your ground wires (all of them) if they aren't making good contact or look worn, you will have problems that seem to come from no where.

MuscleJeep
01-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanx for your info...

Ive checked the fuses under the hood and they are all fine, unfortunately I dont have a book to cross check the interior fuse box against :(
note: none of the lights work inside (glove box, foot well, front, middle and rear dome lights)

Mudderoy
01-14-2011, 03:49 AM
Thanx for your info...

Ive checked the fuses under the hood and they are all fine, unfortunately I dont have a book to cross check the interior fuse box against :(
note: none of the lights work inside (glove box, foot well, front, middle and rear dome lights)

Silly question. When you rotate the light switch, do they come on?

How about the fuses under the hood?

MuscleJeep
01-14-2011, 04:27 AM
Unfortunately they dont come on when the switch is turned...
I have checked all the fuses under the hood and they seem fine!
The interior fuse board has alot of fuses missing, I do not have a owners manual so im not sure which is for what, but the fuses that are already there are all fine.

I also took the centre roof panel with the lights and trip comp on it off and all wires are connected.

Such a simple thing causing such a headache :(

BrianXJ
01-14-2011, 04:30 AM
I found this for ya its a 1992.

FUSES & CIRCUIT BREAKERS
Selected Block
1992 Jeep Cherokee
For 1
Copyright © 1998 Mitchell Repair Information Company, LLC
Tuesday, May 04, 2010 01:12PM
Courtesy of Chrysler (http://www.cherokeeforum.com/#) Corp.
FUSE & CIRCUIT BREAKER I.D. (PASSENGER COMPARTMENT)
1 - 25 Amp (Natural)
Rear Window Wiper, Washer.
2 - 15 Amp (Lt. Blue)
Radio, Cigar Lighter, Dome Lamp.
3 - 10 Amp (Red)
Security Alarm Module.
4 - 15 Amp (Lt. Blue)
Headlamp Dimmer Switch, Security Alarm Module, Security Alarm
Relay.
5 - 25 Amp (Natural)
Blower Motor.
6 - 30 Amp (Circuit Breaker)
Power Door Locks, Power Seats, Trailer Towing Wiring Harness
Keyless Entry.
7 - 2 Amp (Pink)
Antilock Brakes (ABS).
8 - 20 Amp (Yellow)
Turn Signal Flasher.
9 - 10 Amp (Red)
Radio/Clock & Memory, Courtesy Lights, Glove Box, Cargo, Dome
Lamps, Teltak Connector, Illuminated Entry.
10 - Not Used
Not Used.
11 - 25 Amp (Natural)
Headlamp Delay Module, Horns, Security Alarm Module.
12 - Not Used
Not Used.
13 - Not Used
Not Used.
14 - 10 Amp (Red)
Power Antenna
15 - 15 Amp (Lt. Blue)
Instrument Panel Lamps, Clock, Radio/Clock & Memory, Headlamp
Switch, Parking Lamps.FUSES & CIRCUIT BREAKERSSelected Block (p. 2)1992 Jeep CherokeeFor 1 Copyright © 19
16 - 30 Amp (Circuit Breaker)
Power Windows.
17 - 7.5 Amp (Violet)
Instrument Cluster Guages, Headlamp Delay Module, Chime
Module, Overhead Console.
18 - 25 Amp (Natural)
Heated Rear Window.
19 - 5 Amp (Tan)
Instrument Panel Lamps, Radio Illumination.
20 - 5.5 Amp (Circuit Breaker)
Windshield Wiper/Windshield Washer.

Mudderoy
01-14-2011, 04:30 AM
Unfortunately they dont come on when the switch is turned...
I have checked all the fuses under the hood and they seem fine!
The interior fuse board has alot of fuses missing, I do not have a owners manual so im not sure which is for what, but the fuses that are already there are all fine.

I also took the centre roof panel with the lights and trip comp on it off and all wires are connected.

Such a simple thing causing such a headache :(

you could take a say 10 amp fuse and try plugging it in those open fuse holders, maybe a 5 amp. Something that would blow easily. I bet you find the fuse holder for those lights.

default83
01-14-2011, 07:38 AM
you could take a say 10 amp fuse and try plugging it in those open fuse holders, maybe a 5 amp. Something that would blow easily. I bet you find the fuse holder for those lights.

yup, just start throwing fuses in the empty slots, it might help, it cant hurt it.

my 5.0 was like this when i got it, the running lights wouldnt work, turned out the fuses were pulled for whatever reason? but threw a fuse in it worked like a champ.

MuscleJeep
01-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Hmm all the fuse locations seemed to not need anything in there as the fuse seemed lose... so means its not meant to have anything there!

Could there be anything else? looks as though the car had a alarm/immobiliser fitted, but the previous owner had it disabled as they lost the controller...

So with the drivers door I unlock it with the key and then use the door lock button to unlock the other doors.

Was thinking maybe the lights have something to do with the disused alarm system also?

4.3LXJ
01-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Stupid question. Have you tried opening all the doors to see if any of then will operate the dome light?

If you cannot find the problem with fuses, the thing to do is see if you are getting current to the light. You can use a test light for this, you don't need anything fancy. Ground the test light well and touch the probe to the connectors for the bulb. If the light comes on, then you have a ground problem. Just reestablish it. If not, then you will have to do a little digging and find out where the switches get power and possibly add a fused wire with power to them. The previous owner could have done any number of stupid things, like splicing in a stereo unit and grabbing power from anywhere.

4x4Dalton
01-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Stupid question. Have you tried opening all the doors to see if any of then will operate the dome light?

If you cannot find the problem with fuses, the thing to do is see if you are getting current to the light. You can use a test light for this, you don't need anything fancy. Ground the test light well and touch the probe to the connectors for the bulb. If the light comes on, then you have a ground problem. Just reestablish it. If not, then you will have to do a little digging and find out where the switches get power and possibly add a fused wire with power to them. The previous owner could have done any number of stupid things, like splicing in a stereo unit and grabbing power from anywhere.

That sounds like the issue I am having....power locks,dome lights and radio all will not come on til key is turned to the on position.

4.3LXJ
01-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Bear

Someone has messed with your main circuits. Those are supposed to be hot all the time.