PDA

View Full Version : Is that money I smell burning?

BrianXJ
01-13-2011, 06:10 AM
What all issues can make an xj run rich? I have a heavy smell of fuel in the exhaust. Just need to know where to start looking.

oderdene
01-13-2011, 06:42 AM
I guess mine is injector. But start check O2 sensor, air cleaner, distributor cap, spark plugs, spark plug wires. BTW, what about mpg?

Mudderoy
01-13-2011, 07:14 AM
What all issues can make an xj run rich? I have a heavy smell of fuel in the exhaust. Just need to know where to start looking.

O2 sensors. Leaky injector. Hmmm vacuum leak?

default83
01-13-2011, 07:36 AM
is there a CEL?

Cat? spark plugs? wires

coolant temp sensor? it could be a LOT of things...like previously mentioned how is the MPG?

BrianXJ
01-13-2011, 09:17 AM
I guess mine is injector. But start check O2 sensor, air cleaner, distributor cap, spark plugs, spark plug wires. BTW, what about mpg?

I am not sure about MPG all I know is that it sucks.

BrianXJ
01-13-2011, 09:18 AM
is there a cel?

Cat? Spark plugs? Wires

coolant temp sensor? It could be a lot of things...like previously mentioned how is the mpg?

cel????????

Mudderoy
01-13-2011, 10:01 AM
cel????????

It's a Check Engine light.

LizardRunner
01-13-2011, 11:29 AM
first off, see if you can pull any codes. If No Codes show up you have some choices. Go to either the o2 sensors, the fuel pump, the fuel filter or the injectors and test to see if they are the problem. Then check the ECM. pull one plug at a time from the ECM and use electronics cleaner on the pins and the plug then reattach and do the next one. you might also reset the ECM by pulling the psoitive battery cable for 5 minutes then reattach and see if that solves the problem.

4.3LXJ
01-13-2011, 11:42 AM
There are a couple of issues here. One is gasoline formulation. We have our own special formulation, which of course makes it more expensive. My engine has been pronounced very clean, yet you can smell a gasoline like smell in the exhaust.

But if it is running rich, the first thing to do is replace the O2 sensor(s) They are responsible for telling the engine what the exhaust is like and letting the ECM determine the proper air/fuel ratio. If it has been a long time since they were replaced, then replace them.

steph74
01-13-2011, 02:51 PM
He has an 87 so he should not have any CEL or possibility to pull codes.
Start testing your sensors before you try to change parts.

As said before, O2 sensor is definitely a good place to start, other easy things will be air intake, filter etc....
Don't forget your sneaky EGR

BrianXJ
01-13-2011, 04:23 PM
It's a Check Engine light.
I could not think this morning after work. lol

Mudderoy
01-13-2011, 04:25 PM
I could not think this morning after work. lol

hey I typed in "Computer Error Light" and then continued with saying mine says "Check Engine Light" and it dawned on me thats what CEL stood for!!!! So I just deleted the first part of the sentence. :thumbsup: :smiley-laughing021: