PDA

View Full Version : For This With LunchBox Lockers

Metlic53
01-11-2011, 01:08 PM
97 XJ 4.0. I have an aussie locker in my rear 8.25 and i dont know if it is installed correctly. i recently got an alignment because it was pulling to the right, now the jeep drives straight while coasting but if any gas is applied is starts going right, feels like the left rear has more power than the right rear. so it is pushing it to the right upon accceleration. i have to use force to turn the steering wheel left to keep it going straight. It gets worse the faster i go. But if i drive around in full time 4x4 it drives straighter because the front is pulling some i believe. maybe there is not enough backlash or too much backlash i dont know. and i heard something about using shims to adjust the locker. Have any of yall had this problem?

Ive asked this question alot and nobody can answer it. :sad0147:

Mudderoy
01-11-2011, 01:36 PM
97 XJ 4.0. I have an aussie locker in my rear 8.25 and i dont know if it is installed correctly. i recently got an alignment because it was pulling to the right, now the jeep drives straight while coasting but if any gas is applied is starts going right, feels like the left rear has more power than the right rear. so it is pushing it to the right upon accceleration. i have to use force to turn the steering wheel left to keep it going straight. It gets worse the faster i go. But if i drive around in full time 4x4 it drives straighter because the front is pulling some i believe. maybe there is not enough backlash or too much backlash i dont know. and i heard something about using shims to adjust the locker. Have any of yall had this problem?

Ive asked this question alot and nobody can answer it. :sad0147:

Where did you have it aligned? Did they do a full alignment or just adjust the toe in, toe out?

LizardRunner
01-11-2011, 02:10 PM
ok metlic, here's what you gotta do now. take to a shop that specializes in rear ends, not just any shop will do, they gotta know how to setup rear gears correctly. the problem you are having sounds very much like the locker was not installed correctly. It will be worth the money to have it checked out by a real expert. that much pull is not right for any locker and it indicates that you are not getting any benifit from having that locker installed. if it were working correctly, you would be going straight down the road in rear wheel drive.

Metlic53
01-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Where did you have it aligned? Did they do a full alignment or just adjust the toe in, toe out?

Yeah they did a full alignment. at M&P wheel alignment.

I don't know of anyone around the houston area that specializes in that stuff, i'll start looking around.

LizardRunner
01-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Yeah they did a full alignment. at M&P wheel alignment.

I don't know of anyone around the houston area that specializes in that stuff, i'll start looking around.

http://www.249drivetrain.com/ try these guys

default83
01-11-2011, 04:35 PM
just a thought...is something other then the locker?

my jeep was doing this when i hit the gas it would shift to the right. it turned out the bolt that holds my left upper control arm fell out.

Metlic53
01-11-2011, 06:06 PM
http://www.249drivetrain.com/ try these guys

Thank you, I will give them a call tomorrow!!! :thumbsup:

just a thought...is something other then the locker?

my jeep was doing this when i hit the gas it would shift to the right. it turned out the bolt that holds my left upper control arm fell out.
I have checked everything, i just had a front end alignment so the control arms are out of the question, i installed them myself.

Firemanray
01-11-2011, 08:04 PM
How about tire pressure, very critical when running lockers.

gary63
01-11-2011, 10:02 PM
you may have 1 weaker spring in the rear or worn spring bushing so when
you give it power it twist alittle I had the some type of problem when I installed a detrot locker in my Dodge.

Metlic53
01-11-2011, 11:21 PM
How about tire pressure, very critical when running lockers.

Tire pressure is all the same, 28 on the dot.

you may have 1 weaker spring in the rear or worn spring bushing so when
you give it power it twist alittle I had the some type of problem when I installed a detrot locker in my Dodge.

How can i figure out if one is weaker? I looked at the bushings and the driver side leaf springs polyurethane bushing is pushed to the right and the leaf is toward the left. Should it be like that? They are only a year old...It didn't start this pulling until after i installed the aussie locker...I will take some pictures and post for yall

modestmar00xj
01-11-2011, 11:41 PM
hmm thats not good cause i was thinks about getting a locker and installing it but now i know what to look for if installed wrong!

Metlic53
01-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Its freezing out right now so i'll post pics up tomorrow morning!

muddeprived
01-12-2011, 12:54 PM
My jeep is doing the same thing, except it's going left instead. I have the aussie in the rear as well. I don't think it's the locker doing it. Did the alignment guys give you a print-out of the specs so you can see wheelbase, caster, camber, etc? Sometimes when lifts are installed, the wheelbase on each side gets out of whack and needs to be adjusted. I haven't had mine to a professional alignment shop yet but when I do I will ask for the print-out of the specs so I can see what's causing the left pull. I have no odd tire wear and it's been like this for a year now.

Weak or worn springs and bushings can also cause this.

Metlic53
01-12-2011, 06:15 PM
My jeep is doing the same thing, except it's going left instead. I have the aussie in the rear as well. I don't think it's the locker doing it. Did the alignment guys give you a print-out of the specs so you can see wheelbase, caster, camber, etc? Sometimes when lifts are installed, the wheelbase on each side gets out of whack and needs to be adjusted. I haven't had mine to a professional alignment shop yet but when I do I will ask for the print-out of the specs so I can see what's causing the left pull. I have no odd tire wear and it's been like this for a year now.

This happens to you under torque only?

muddeprived
01-12-2011, 06:57 PM
This happens to you under torque only?

Yeah at speeds above 30 mph. When I'm going slow it seems to steer straight but on the highway it requires constant corrections. Very annoying.

Metlic53
01-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Yeah at speeds above 30 mph. When I'm going slow it seems to steer straight but on the highway it requires constant corrections. Very annoying.

It is very annoying!!! i get pissed and drive my moms hyundai sonata or my dads camaro :thumbdown:

teamwestoutdoors
01-12-2011, 07:33 PM
May I suggest taking the locker out and putting the gears back in and see if you still get the pull? If your going to look over your spring in the locker anyway it's easier to take it out of the axle, so while you have it out throw the old gears in and give it a test drive.

Metlic53
01-12-2011, 09:51 PM
May I suggest taking the locker out and putting the gears back in and see if you still get the pull? If your going to look over your spring in the locker anyway it's easier to take it out of the axle, so while you have it out throw the old gears in and give it a test drive.

Good idea, i'll try that next week

gary63
01-12-2011, 10:23 PM
with a locker it will magnify things like worn or bent spring and buchings. you
said one spring and bushing isn't strate. So when you put power to the axle the locker locks up and will put more tork on the springs witch will tweek the axle and off you go.

Weldmen
01-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Ok first off no shop will give you a 4 wheel alignment gauetee. I drives straight in 2 wheel dive your good to go. 4 wheel drive if optional is mearly a extra for gettin you there. If ya get my point. So go with that. Hope that helps.

Metlic53
01-13-2011, 09:54 AM
i didnt understand anything you just said. it doesnt drive straight in 2wd.

4.3LXJ
01-13-2011, 11:51 AM

Hey Chris

I remember you had a thread on this awhile back. So you narrowed it down to the locker?

default83
01-14-2011, 07:35 AM
i didnt understand anything you just said. it doesnt drive straight in 2wd.

i can let you borrow a lighter and some gas. that should fix her up.

like it was mentioned lockers (though i have no experience in this field but it makes a lot of sense) would bring out worn bushings. i would check bushings, joints everything before pulling the locker out.

Metlic53
01-23-2011, 11:45 AM
i just noticed somethin, i went to rev it up and forgot i was in drive and when i rev i usually push it down twice fast and i did and the first time it pulled to the right but when i pushed it again it pulled to the left and slowly went back right if i kept pressure on the gas. just one pump of gas steadily will make it go right, two quick pumps make it go left. hmmm, i haven't had time to take my locker out yet..

muddeprived
01-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Hey Chris

I remember you had a thread on this awhile back. So you narrowed it down to the locker?

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been getting instant notifications via email anymore. I wonder what's up with that? I haven't changed my settings...hmmm.

I need to get the alignment and look over the specs before I can narrow it down. I did a self align on all four corners using bobs at the same place on each side and got it pretty much close on both sides plus the toe in and caster. I still rather have a pro go over it and see what I missed, or if something else is wrong that I overlooked.

i just noticed somethin, i went to rev it up and forgot i was in drive and when i rev i usually push it down twice fast and i did and the first time it pulled to the right but when i pushed it again it pulled to the left and slowly went back right if i kept pressure on the gas. just one pump of gas steadily will make it go right, two quick pumps make it go left. hmmm, i haven't had time to take my locker out yet..

This really sounds like something fishy in your rear springs.

Metlic53
01-25-2011, 11:44 AM
yeah i hear ya. I just bought a 90 model XJ with a brand new rough country 4.5 lift. im gonna swap the leafs over to mine and see what happens. But first i gotta drive to oklahoma and drive the sucker back :D