PDA

View Full Version : Modifications "NOT" to "AVOID"

oderdene
01-11-2011, 05:36 AM
We always have such great plans for modding our XJs. Please post here your great mods.

I will start.

I fabbed my front winch bumper and result is ocean of satisfaction; some skill of stick welding and finally enthusiasm to fabricate ...:D:D:D

rguignard
01-11-2011, 08:10 AM
lift and big tires

teamwestoutdoors
01-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Lockers have been my favorite upgrade. I ride with some friends some only have locked rear ends some have nothing and I am always amazed at how much easier I can get through obstacles without busting my junk up in the attempt.

LizardRunner
01-11-2011, 12:15 PM
lockers, fabricated parts such as; bumpers, roof racks, tire holders, skids, engine compartment vents for extra cooling, headers, sliders. alternator exchanged up for more juice, dual batterys, better air intake/snorkel (hidden or not) upgrade radiator.

LizardRunner
01-11-2011, 12:23 PM
lockers,or LSD, lift kit, tire/wheel combos, heavy duty front end, transfer case swaps,etc. Fabricated parts such as; bumpers, roof racks, tire holders, skids, engine compartment vents for extra cooling, headers, sliders. alternator exchanged up for more juice, dual batterys, better air intake/snorkel (hidden or not) upgrade radiator, extended/raised wheel wells. That's about all I can think of on my to do list right now.

Mudderoy
01-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Recovery points, SYE and Heavy Duty Grand Cherokee clutch fan.

LizardRunner
01-11-2011, 02:43 PM
yeah, I forgot to list those. I want to strike the hood vents for anything but the cool factor cause that is all that mod really is. I would add: heavy duty steering box from durango, rear disc brakes with emergency fitment, and using stainless braid hoses everywhere is a great way to up the cool factor and not have worries about your hoses.

recovery points I build into bumpers and these pull through the "frame attachments".

cantab27
01-11-2011, 08:04 PM
sounds ,,,got have sounds so ya can hide all them little new noises after wheeling

xjrev10
01-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Recovery points should be the first mod. Upgraded lighting and a aftermarket stereo with iPod hookup! Lol

PolarXJ
01-12-2011, 02:34 PM
This is my opinion if I were to start over with a stock XJ, and I knew it was going to take a few years to get it to the point I'm at now. Revovery point, homebrewed dicos, rock slidders, lift, gas tank skid plate, lockers and gears at the same time (reduce setup cost), bumpers. Other performance and appearance mod's can and probably would happen in between the body mod's.

LizardRunner
01-13-2011, 12:16 PM
now that sounds like a good plan of attachment !

LizardRunner
01-13-2011, 12:20 PM
I have to first get all my mechanicals up to snuff. I am doing this in this order; brakes, steering, engine. I have completed the rear brakes, found out I need a new steering box and highpressure hose, brake booster and master cylinder, engine rear seal, then new front discs. These will take care of most all my leaks. I will be upgrading with heavyduty parts everywhere I can so I don't have to go back cause I hate re-dos.

Once that is all done, I can get into my mods list starting with front linkage from currie, then the welder will come into play for front and rear bumpers with two shackle points each and front winch, sliders then I'll make skids for the front, trany and TC, front and rear will then get lockered/geared and heavy duty diff. cases. the last thing will be the lift and 31's or 32's. I think this order will allow me to make sure of my height with the lift, I am wanting 4-5" but I also may need heavier springs with the other stuff to get my height right, so doing everything else first will hopefully mean only one spring setup purchase.

oderdene
04-25-2011, 09:57 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TaCm6BCLIhI/AAAAAAAAA0M/-UDmGfNXV1k/s912/2011-04-09%2012.53.38.jpg

oderdene
04-25-2011, 09:58 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/Detoursusa/final205Choo.jpg

oderdene
04-25-2011, 10:08 PM
http://ironman4x4fab.com/images/STD_LCA-F.JPG

hookedonxjs
04-25-2011, 11:30 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/lkd53/p_9603.jpg
I would use them even if I was replacing stock shocks. Don't have to be JKS's any kind will do.

4.3LXJ
04-26-2011, 09:56 AM
I think this is a highly subjective question. It depends on where you live, and wheel. My best mod was the front bumper and winch. The winch makes up for not having lockers in yet and the bumper is designed for deflecting animals under the rig when hit. I have already hit one. It would have killed the animal and messed up a stock bumper and header panel. Both lived through it just fine instead. I have used the winch a half dozen times for extraction and a several times for moving things around, like my son's mighty mite into the shop when it wasn't running.

DETOURS
04-26-2011, 10:10 AM
My 'no fat chicks' decal was cheap and easy! ;)

hookedonxjs
04-26-2011, 12:54 PM
My 'no fat chicks' decal was cheap and easy! ;)

Detours remember the surf punks song no fat chicks? If it was 1977 it would have been my disco sucks sticker.

DETOURS
04-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Can't say I know that one.:sign0181:

hookedonxjs
04-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Can't say I know that one.:sign0181:

http://youtu.be/lWJEDLaW0RY
Detours couldn't find the whole vid but a portion is in there.

1997_sport
04-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Locker 100%

uberxj92
05-06-2011, 10:24 PM
axleswaps...d30 from v8zj & 8.8 both selectably locked. bumpers & overpowered mile marker. piaa lights. on-board air & water. 6.5 hd lift. bfg a/t's front & maxxis muds rear. snorkel. LEDS lights to replace all but headlights. dvd player & ps3 on board. strong cb.

4x4Dalton
05-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Would have to say recovery points is a biggie on the list. Bigger tires,stronger front and rear axles,SYE,lockers and a complete engine top end redo would be the others for me.

may pop
05-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Recovery points Stereo,TruTrac in the front.

farmjeep
05-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Ummm, A plow if you live up north! and all the goodies to keep the plow from killing the DD Jeep.

jccatt
05-11-2011, 05:11 AM
Traction Mods

Tyres
Suspension
Lockers

Protection

Sliders
Rear bar (to stop tail light and quarter panel damage)

Oh sh!t

Winch

Nicksdsm
05-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Best cheap mods... Bored TB ($80), Junk yard Injectors ($40) and Junk yard electric fans ($26).

rugidone
05-17-2011, 07:31 AM
axleswaps...d30 from v8zj & 8.8 both selectably locked. bumpers & overpowered mile marker. piaa lights. on-board air & water. 6.5 hd lift. bfg a/t's front & maxxis muds rear. snorkel. LEDS lights to replace all but headlights. dvd player & ps3 on board. strong cb.

Just curious whats special about the d30 from v8 ZJ?

nota944mechanic
05-17-2011, 09:49 AM
OK, I'll play. In no particular order:

Recovery points
Recovery gear (not a mod, but still a must have)
Winch
Lockers
Tires plus full size spare
Swaybar disconnects
Gas tank and trans/TC protection
A couple of off road lights
Bumpers
3.5" or greater lift
:watermelon:

xj4life2
05-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Since were speaking of mods not to avoid heres my thoughts
1. cooling system upgrades
a. heavy duty rad
b. convert closed sys to open sys (older models)
c. vents or raised rear hood
d. zj fan clutch
e.Elec fan override
2. steering mods
a. steering box brace
b. zj v8 tie rod / drag link set up
c. smaller pully on pump (genrite)
3.armour
a. front and rear bumpers w/ tow points
b. winch
c. fold rear quarter panels
d.sliders or nerf bars
e.diff covers stronger than stock not chrome or aluminum
4. suspension
a. lift of your choice
b. upgraded shocks w/bar pin eliminaters
c. proper size tires based on lift and wheeling
5.upgrade sterio system
6.trans shift kit / allows use of all gears individually and allows youto be able to shift your auto trans
7.Fire extinquisher and first aid kit PRICELESS !!!!
8. Some type of comunication system other than a cell phone.
9. Boony kit .... back up supplies for trips into the wilderness, blanket,food, water, toilet paper, heat source (a metal coffee can with a roll of TP in it , pour a little alcohol from first aid kit on the TP , it will burn for hours , safe and will heat up a jeep interior) Basically anything you think you might need if you break down and can't get home to keep you and your family alive.
10. recovery kit with a tire plug kit in it I use the trail gear kit cheap and it works well

The last two you may not consider a mod but being safe and keeping your passengers safe and doing all you can to have a great time and still get home is a mod you can't ignor in my book .

11. axle upgrades
a. gear ratio to match tire size
b. high pinion 30 frt chrome molly axles w/ over size u joints
c. anything but a 35 :)
d. traction control device if you have the need
12. accessories?
a. high lift jack
b.axe/shovel
c. air compressor or on board air
d. secure way to mount it all
Yes the list is long but everything here in my opinion is a mod not to avoid if your gonna wheel it. As Steve said alot of this would be based upon demografics, money, and ability. Which is why this fourm is so important , if you cant do it or haven't I'm sure somebody here has and more than likely would be willing to help you do it.