PDA

View Full Version : Decisions Decisions

bigjim350
01-08-2011, 03:01 PM
So as some of you know I blew up my daily driver truck. So im looking for something to replace it. Well a friend of mine has two Jeeps for sale. They are both 1995. The first is a 4cyl 5 speed YJ in pretty decent shape. The other is a 5.2L 4x4 Grand Cherokee, that is completly stock. They are both around the same price. So which one would you go with? Im leaning towards the GC mainly cause its stock, and when built will be a much more capable vehicle. The YJ is nice to cruise with, but lets be honest, they dont have much flex. Now keep in mind this will be my daily driver, so neither would get built as much as my XJ. But I sure can't keep it stock either

cantab27
01-08-2011, 03:20 PM
get a yota ya pussy

(get the green one )

XJ4IV
01-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Ill be honest with ya Id get the wrangler... you dont have kids to cart around the 4 cyl is getting better gas mileage and its nice to take the top down... SINCE your not really gonna wheel it that much I would just toss some 31's on it and call it good... the ZJ is a REAL pita to lift and get ANY articulation out of without emptying your budget FAST, YES they look a little nicer and ride a LOT nicer but in all honesty we are jeep folks... WHO CARES about ride quality lol sooo MY vote is the YJ

Mudderoy
01-08-2011, 03:42 PM
You know how I feel about Grand Cherokees. For the same price the choice is easy. With a XJ and a Wrangler, you'd have the coolest of all the Jeeps made.

So the Jeep is cheaper than rebuilding the engine in the truck?

bigjim350
01-08-2011, 03:45 PM
So the Jeep is cheaper than rebuilding the engine in the truck?

No but I hate the damn truck, haven't had anything but problems with it since I got it. You only get so many chances

4.3LXJ
01-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Those Gc 5.2 really suck the gas

DETOURS
01-08-2011, 03:48 PM
I went with the 4 banger, it's got factory 4:10's installed in it's axles.

bigjim350
01-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Im not too worried about gas milage. The only thing keeping me from wanting the YJ is the 4banger and the leaf springs. Yeah I know they could be fun with the top down, but I hate convertables, and would NEVER take it down.

DETOURS
01-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Sounds like you've made your mind up then.

bigjim350
01-08-2011, 03:53 PM
I pretty much have, was just making conversation.

DETOURS
01-08-2011, 03:57 PM
The Grands are plegged with little issues, I had a 95 I could'nt get a smell out of, lots of cracked plastic.....few electrical gremlins.......but it was comfy.

bigjim350
01-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Well the biggest selling point on the GC is its towing capacity and the V8

4x4Dalton
01-08-2011, 04:37 PM
i would go with th GC. All and all it would be the better choice,better ride,24/7 top..lol,if you ever decided to lift it wouldnt drain yer wallet and IMO would last longer. Even if it is gonna be driven by you :smiley-laughing021:

BrianXJ
01-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Stop whining and DD the XJ like me

gary63
01-08-2011, 07:16 PM
I have a cj5 and a xj I don't know what you hall in your dd but the gc will have more room and later on it can be parted out.

Jeepster19
01-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Not to keen on the 4 banger in the Yj,but I would pick it over the Grand Cherokee.Grand Cherokee's are a cheaper made Xj,lots of little problems that add up to alot of frustration&extra money out of your pocket.You could always swap in a 4.0L in the Yj later!:thumbsup:Get some pics so we can see both of them.:camera:

Punisher
01-09-2011, 08:43 AM
I saw flip a coin... i use to have a 1991 YJ with 31" and 3 " body lift and yeah I know it dont flex much but I just did trail riding and it was a very strong 4 banger and I got out of alot of hole that others cant... but the GC is nice also as you can look forward in buliding it up and at least you keep dry so the choice is yours.... you cant go wrong... A Jeep is a Jeep, As long as they have Jeep writing on it you know their goin to last a long time... (if you take care of it):patriot:

But whatever you get I want photos!!:camera:

ice_cold
01-09-2011, 11:13 AM
as a DD...GC, the ride and the reving of the 4 cylinder if you have to run on the highway will grow old real fast. Want to pass someone you will need a good run at them. Voice of experience here. Off road it was a great learning tool as you dont have the power to do stuff. So you drive smart.
But as a DD...no thank you, I will take the GC.

XJ Rat
01-09-2011, 12:47 PM
You already have the XJ as an off road toy. You need a DD. Sorry, but a 4 cylinder YJ is not the best DD to have. We can start with theft, you cannot leave anything of value in a YJ. I know all about this as I had a TJ for 10 years. Next is the space (or lack of) in the interior. Forget about hauling more than three people and extra gear. The Grand will be more comfortable all around ride wise, and if you are going to have to drive it in cold weather, snow, or rain. I know there are many out there who do it, but I will wager that everyone of those people will be grateful the day they can make the YJ their second vehicle.

I vote get the Grand as a DD. Then after a few repairs (read upgrades) are made to it, get a trailer and pull the XJ to the trail. All the while knowing the YJ you just passed on the highway could have been you.