PDA

View Full Version : Chinese air locker ,,,maybe not

cantab27
01-06-2011, 07:38 PM
well maybe ya get what ya pay for ... am looking in to these ...so far

pros =price ,,when there winches came out everyone said no way ..heaps run those now ,they have improved heaps so maybe there lockers have ...

cons= well vid says it all ,,, but ya can make most things happen in a controlled environment ??????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewt7f-h8Wn4

:smiley-scared002::smiley-scared002: :eek:

anyway if ya know of anyone running them or any info post away

cheers the kiwi :thumbsup:

cantab27
01-06-2011, 07:54 PM
heres a bit of info in this link ......... 2nd page has links to some good write ups

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141095

ps i know its not a jeep forum

DETOURS
01-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Controlled enviroment: there is no better test, the tests were identical, the ARB broke the axle, test 2, the axle broke the locker.......locker looses, I'd be curious if such a violent break, would'nt effect the gears, and also consider the debris getting into the gears as well until vehical came to a stop, there were some pretty large chunks missing. The quality comparison between the ARB & Other, was hands down ARB.

Dunno.......could cost a person more in the long run, alot more.

4.3LXJ
01-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Those are the ones that Yukon sells now I think. I'm with Spanky on this. Their quality control just isn't what some of the good companies have. That diff coming apart would get real expensive quickly and far outstrip the money saved on the initial purchase.

One other thing. Those spider gears are cast, not machined. Although well cast, they will never hold up to a forged and machined gear. That is how they are making them cheaper, by cutting out much of the machining.

DETOURS
01-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Over on the Bronco site, there was the Yukon & The One At Sema Made In China..........are there 2 different knockoffs as being suggested?

I liked this:

"How do you know this?
What brand is in the video?
What is your association with Yukon?
What are the Yukon's comparisons vs. ARB?"

As far as Yukon goes, I've always been suggested to stay away....
Maybe a better question might be, who owns or owns a majority of stock in Yukon? Who are their investors?

Personally, I'd stay with the ARB, it's an investment with resale value.

4.3LXJ
01-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Those are the ones that Yukon sells now I think. I'm with Spanky on this. Their quality control just isn't what some of the good companies have. That diff coming apart would get real expensive quickly and far outstrip the money saved on the initial purchase.

cantab27
01-06-2011, 08:36 PM
yeah ,Chinese winch dieing out on the trails least ya can still wheel get home ,,, locker cooking itself , well like y'all say whats it done to gears and such before ya come to a stop.....,,more research needed

DETOURS
01-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Whats the actual cost difference for you?

cantab27
01-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Whats the actual cost difference for you?

trying to find some firm prices now ,,,,
this is a knock off.... not that cheap ,has dana ones coming :thumbdown:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Other-accessories/auction-345529438.htm

will get back with arb price ....may have to find aussie site

cantab27
01-06-2011, 09:23 PM
http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=index&keyword=Enter%20search%20keywords%20here&manufacturers_id=10&sort=20a&page=3

man wish i could get these prices .........cant find firm prices arb in nz

no one stocks these down here ...

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/axles-gears-lockers/ox-lockers.htm

will ring around monday for price arb

PolarXJ
01-07-2011, 04:04 PM
So how are you sure you are getting the right one?

cantab27
01-07-2011, 04:08 PM
So how are you sure you are getting the right one?

just threw that up as a price guide :thumbsup:

OrangeXJ
01-07-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't know why anyone would want an air locker over a manual or electric locker. You have to have an air pump that requires maintenance and dealing with air leaks which renders it useless just my 2 cents.

OrangeXJ
01-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Case it point on my trip to Creekside last weekend the white jeep has air lockers and was having problems staying locked up due to air leaks.

4.3LXJ
01-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't know why anyone would want an air locker over a manual or electric locker. You have to have an air pump that requires maintenance and dealing with air leaks which renders it useless just my 2 cents.

Having to have an air pump is not a problem if you have on board air. The biggest problem with the ARB is that people don't know how to route air lines. They end up being very unprotected. As for the Ox, those cables are just as much a problem, they are hard to route and end up exposed.

Mudderoy
01-14-2011, 09:26 AM

Probably a repeat for me, but I agree with you on the air locker. I don't like the air compressor thing, or the air lines. The electric has clutches that wear out and I don't like that more.

I like the manual locker the best, but having a daily driver I'd really rather have the small electric switch that I throw to engage the locker. So the air locker fits exactly what I want. Mechanical locker, no clutches to wear out, and I can engage and disengage by using a small electrical switch placed anywhere in the cab.

Oh also ARB is a well built locker.