PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Panel Lights

Kimber6331
01-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Hey guys it's been a while. glad to say my xj is alive and kicking. had the crank sensor taken care of. Just recently replaced compresssor with rebuilt one. :D Only snag I have now are the instrument panel lights aren't working. . . So, question is, how do you go about switching these bulbs? im assuming you would pop out the dash and gauges and replace them thatta way, however I just wanted to run this procedure by you xj experts just in case. And if this is the case, is it possible to change the bulbs so that when lit the gauges aren't glowing green with orange needles? are the bulbs colored or is there colored film over gauges? ANY help would be greatly appreciated! thanks guys

Mudderoy
01-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Hey guys it's been a while. glad to say my xj is alive and kicking. had the crank sensor taken care of. Just recently replaced compresssor with rebuilt one. :D Only snag I have now are the instrument panel lights aren't working. . . So, question is, how do you go about switching these bulbs? im assuming you would pop out the dash and gauges and replace them thatta way, however I just wanted to run this procedure by you xj experts just in case. And if this is the case, is it possible to change the bulbs so that when lit the gauges aren't glowing green with orange needles? are the bulbs colored or is there colored film over gauges? ANY help would be greatly appreciated! thanks guys

I think it's pretty easy on the 97+ XJs. I believe you have to remove the center section that goes around the environment controls, radio, vents.

You might want to look into the LED replacements for all the dash lamps. The last for much longer, they use less power, and are generally brighter. Plus you can get them in different colors.

I was going to do mine, but I went off in another direction on the Jeep.

Kimber6331
01-05-2011, 11:40 AM
could i reach them from the center section? im looking to replace the bulbs behind the speedometer, gas, oil, and rpm gauges. and yea while im at it id like to change those as well.

Mudderoy
01-05-2011, 11:45 AM
could i reach them from the center section? im looking to replace the bulbs behind the speedometer, gas, oil, and rpm gauges. and yea while im at it id like to change those as well.

No I only told you part of what I remembered reading. I think if you take that center section out, it will expose screws, or clips that allow you to remove the instrument panel. I'll look it up here in a bit. I probably just should have waited to post until I did. lol sorry.

Mudderoy
01-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Still looking. I found this...

1. Remove the dash. There are four Phillips head screws, all facing up. There are also some clips around the dash, including by the radio, and the heater vent on the right. Go around and pull straight out. If you have a ’95 or newer, you also need to remove the steering column cover to remove the dash bezel. To do that you need a T15 Torx driver.

:link: (http://jeepin.com/features/gaugeswap)

Kimber6331
01-05-2011, 11:59 AM
lol no apologies necessary sir. just glad someone got back to me quickly. I can't see **** at night. however it would be a good excuse for speeding. "sorry officer, i couldn't see how fast i was going."

JENSSEN
01-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Are all the dash lights out? or just the speedo? I find it odd that all the bulbs are out,..

Kimber6331
01-05-2011, 02:45 PM
all of them. the gas gauge temp gauge bat gauge oil gauge rpm and speedometer. i kow so did i. i figured one bulb may go eventually. but all at the same time seems odd.

JENSSEN
01-05-2011, 03:30 PM
all of them. the gas gauge temp gauge bat gauge oil gauge rpm and speedometer. i kow so did i. i figured one bulb may go eventually. but all at the same time seems odd.

VERY Odd,..

Is there fuses that supply those lamps? I would look for bad wires to be honest,...

oderdene
01-06-2011, 06:37 AM
headlight switch have a dimmer (potentiometer) for dash light. please try to turn CW; CCW. Instrument cluster have 22 bulbs total - does it make sense?

Kimber6331
01-06-2011, 12:47 PM
yea ive messed around with the headlight switch, pulled it turned it pushed it. lights just arent coming on. and i checked all the bulbs too and they seem fine. im guessing its fuse then?

PolarXJ
01-06-2011, 01:30 PM
VERY Odd,..

Is there fuses that supply those lamps? I would look for bad wires to be honest,...

Yeah, I would check for a fuse first, very odd that all the lamps would go out at once.

I think it's pretty easy on the 97+ XJs. I believe you have to remove the center section that goes around the environment controls, radio, vents.

You might want to look into the LED replacements for all the dash lamps. The last for much longer, they use less power, and are generally brighter. Plus you can get them in different colors.

I was going to do mine, but I went off in another direction on the Jeep.

I've heard of replacing the taillights with LEDs, but you have to have a resistor to make them work. Other wise they would blink really fast, like when you have a bulb out. The taillight system requires a certain amount of resistance to work right. Now IDK about the dashpanel, but I would think it would be similar. I could be wrong on that. Post a link if you have a company that sells LED dash panel lights for XJ. I'd be interested in it. I've always wanted a brighter panel.

Mudderoy
01-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Yeah, I would check for a fuse first, very odd that all the lamps would go out at once.

I've heard of replacing the taillights with LEDs, but you have to have a resistor to make them work. Other wise they would blink really fast, like when you have a bulb out. The taillight system requires a certain amount of resistance to work right. Now IDK about the dashpanel, but I would think it would be similar. I could be wrong on that. Post a link if you have a company that sells LED dash panel lights for XJ. I'd be interested in it. I've always wanted a brighter panel.

A resistor would work, but it's best just to change out the flasher module. They make them for LED tail lights, etc... Adding resistance increases the load to be that of the standard incandescent bulb. The would negate the power savings of using the LED.

4x4Dalton
01-07-2011, 05:09 AM
Yeah Kimber I agree with a few others. Sounds like the fuse for the dash lights went bad. For all the dash lights to go out at one time its highly unlikely that the entire thing of bulbs blew at once. I'd check the fuse.:thumbsup:

BrianXJ
01-07-2011, 05:32 AM
on this site, if you scroll down a bit you will find that they put a smal strip of led light to light up the gauges may be a solution for you.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/Whitebground.htm

Punisher
01-07-2011, 08:48 AM
on this site, if you scroll down a bit you will find that they put a smal strip of led light to light up the gauges may be a solution for you.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/Whitebground.htm

Damn, I like the white gauges... I'm going to have to do that..:thumbsup:

Kimber6331
01-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Yea it was the fuse, thanks guys. just gotta head to autozone and switch em out. glad its just fuse, I was not looking forward to having to take apart dash again.

And those gauges do look pretty cool. would it work for 01 xj?

PolarXJ
01-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Those gauges do look cool, I've gone to that site for various other things, but must always skipped over that one.

BrianXJ
01-07-2011, 01:29 PM
The guy has a table you choose which gauges you have I am sure he has them for an 01.

Punisher
01-09-2011, 02:10 PM
I GOT MINE!!!!

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab165/punisher1_972/IMG_0830.jpg

Gojeep
01-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Think they are very fitting considering the tag you use. ;)

BrianXJ
01-10-2011, 09:29 AM
I GOT MINE!!!!

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab165/punisher1_972/IMG_0830.jpg

:worthlesspics:

Punisher
01-10-2011, 09:37 AM

Looks like a photo to me LOL.....
Just chil... I'm trying to decide on the color for my lights.... be pataint:boohoo:

Kimber6331
01-12-2011, 09:47 AM
You guys wouldn't happento know anythign about fuses would ya? I changed the fuse and they worked fine for about an hour then they cut out again, checked the new fuse, bad. popped another new one in, and sadly it didn't even make it to 1 mintue, out again. does this means its not the fuse but rather a wire thats not grounded or wire interference? anybody have any experience checking them or switching them out?

and punisher those look sick! you make em yourself?

Mudderoy
01-12-2011, 10:04 AM
You guys wouldn't happento know anythign about fuses would ya? I changed the fuse and they worked fine for about an hour then they cut out again, checked the new fuse, bad. popped another new one in, and sadly it didn't even make it to 1 mintue, out again. does this means its not the fuse but rather a wire thats not grounded or wire interference? anybody have any experience checking them or switching them out?

and punisher those look sick! you make em yourself?

Basic; Fuses blow, break, etc... because the amount of electrical current running through them exceeds the max the fuse will allow. If, for example, you were to put a much higher rated fuse in there the fuse might not blow but the device that was drawing the higher than normal current would literally catch on fire. More likely the wire feeding the device would burn.

So what you have to do is find what is causing the issue. Most likely there is a device that is causing a short circuit. That would be where the 12 volts is being grounded (touching the metal) to the vehicle.

XJ Rat
01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Kimber, you definately have a short somewhere upstream of the fuse. Start with the easy stuff and work from there. Easy stuff = visually check the wires first. Usually one will have the insulation rubbed through from touching metal. It will then short out causing the blown fuse. Has the wiring been cut/repaired anywhere or has an accessory been added that is drawing current from the line? Look there.

Let us know what you find.

Mudderoy
01-12-2011, 01:43 PM
It's almost always a result of something you, or previous owner, hooked up or installed. Any recent changes to the electrical system?

Punisher
01-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Heres your photos brian... lol

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab165/punisher1_972/IMG_0878.jpg
http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab165/punisher1_972/IMG_0879.jpg
http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab165/punisher1_972/IMG_0885.jpg

Gabriel J
01-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Iam dealing with the same issue... Have you wheeled your rig? Does your windshield leak on the D.side? only way to find out is look for rust behind your dash... As said before, you most likely have a short.. I currently have no dash lights and my head light switch dims my running lights... Ya, I have water issues and shorts all over the place... Its a wheeler for the most part...

Hope you figure it out...

oh and The punisher bezel stickers look SICK!!:thumbsup:

BrianXJ
01-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Heres your photos brian... lol

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab165/punisher1_972/IMG_0878.jpg
http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab165/punisher1_972/IMG_0879.jpg
http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab165/punisher1_972/IMG_0885.jpg

Awesome

Gabriel J
01-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Is there going to be some more Tech going on in this thread? The bezel looks cool... But the problem needs some answers to... Not trying to step on toes, just run into alot of forums where side tracking and hi-jacking of threads happen and nobody gets there questions answered...

Kimber6331
04-04-2011, 08:52 AM
SO it's been a while, could say ive been a bit "BUSY". My instrument panels lights are still out, but i have found problem (atleast i think): My fuse. i switched out 4 new ones and in matter of seconds to mintues each blows. What would be my next step? is it something you can fix from box area or will i have to go taking apart my xj? any help would be greatly appreciated. i think its time to fix them.

4.3LXJ
04-04-2011, 10:56 AM
The first thing, as mentioned is to look for something a previous owner hooked to it. Like aftermarket radios etc. Also remember your interior lights run off that circuit too. If you don't have an ohm meter to chase it down, start unplugging stuff. Start with the dash pod, since you will need to access the wiring anyway. Unplug it and then turn on the head lights. Make sure you tape the button down on the door switch when you do to eliminate that part of it.

Kimber6331
04-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks man. I did and im alomst positive its the aftermarket radio. Got it about a month before problem started. I kept old wiring harness (radio was same model just newer) instead of inserting whole new set. looks like ill get to use my splicers. thanks again!

XJ408
05-05-2011, 02:15 PM
how many T12s in a 1998 jeep cherokee instrument cluster????

Kimber6331
05-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Found the sloution; removed radio with console and noticed an incorrect wiring harness. i recieved a wiring harness for a 88-96 xj. I own an 01. the shipper sent the corrct year model so i switched that wiring harness with the incorrect and wouldn't you know it, everythings back to b.c. thanks for input guys.

Kimber6331
09-18-2012, 06:45 PM
So uh, instead of creating a new thread for a quick question, just wanted to ask real quick, does anybody know if I could swap out a 01' TJ instrument panel cluster with my 01' XJs? Im really trying to change the nija turtle colors of my panel.

Kimber6331
09-18-2012, 06:48 PM
this is the one I was thinking of

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/9143256/129_0507_10z+jeep_tj+instrument_cluster.jpg