PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!!! cranks no start

skidmarks
01-04-2011, 04:22 PM
ok. this things going to be the death of me!! as i have looked everywhere to fix this problem. first thing checked and replaced was the crankshaft position sensor. new, still cranks no fire. next was spark plugs, wires, distributor cap rotor. still no fire. changed the block for distributor. still no fire. changed out fuel pump. crank no fire.. HELP ME PLEASE. i have no clue what to do now.

cantab27
01-04-2011, 04:28 PM
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5564&highlight=spark

dont know ,may help ....

BlueXJ
01-04-2011, 04:38 PM
I will bet that it still involves the CPS or related wiring. Renix era Jeeps are very sensitive about that signal. Check for a pinched or frayed wire all the way into the big harness.

skidmarks
01-04-2011, 05:13 PM
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5564&highlight=spark

dont know ,may help ....
thanks but mines a 89 and not the same as his.

skidmarks
01-04-2011, 05:15 PM
I will bet that it still involves the CPS or related wiring. Renix era Jeeps are very sensitive about that signal. Check for a pinched or frayed wire all the way into the big harness.
i will check when i get home and get back to you.

Punisher
01-04-2011, 07:40 PM
are you getting spark?

skidmarks
01-05-2011, 10:35 AM
yeah im getting spark but just found out that im not getting any power to my fuel pump. so i think that is it. im going to run a jumper wire to the pump to see if my brand new pump is bad!!

Mudderoy
01-05-2011, 10:40 AM
yeah im getting spark but just found out that im not getting any power to my fuel pump. so i think that is it. im going to run a jumper wire to the pump to see if my brand new pump is bad!!

Hmmm does the XJ have a fuel pump shut off switch that activates in a colision?

skidmarks; You've checked fuses, and relays already right?

bluedragon436
01-05-2011, 10:41 AM
** Was just typing the exact same thing as far as the relays and fuses when your post appeared Tony!! I hope it is something as simple as a relay... not having to pull your brand new pump out again!!

skidmarks
01-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Hmmm does the XJ have a fuel pump shut off switch that activates in a colision?

skidmarks; You've checked fuses, and relays already right?
yeah ive checked all the relays and fuses last night. my pump doesnt sound like its even coming on. but the best part is last friday i changed out my pump but instead of buttoning it up without checking it i leveled it and plugged everything in and checked it so its still down and out of the jeep.

Mudderoy
01-05-2011, 10:50 AM
yeah ive checked all the relays and fuses last night. my pump doesnt sound like its even coming on. but the best part is last friday i changed out my pump but instead of buttoning it up without checking it i leveled it and plugged everything in and checked it so its still down and out of the jeep.

That's good, but now I wonder if it is getting a good ground. Does it have a ground wire that runs back to the engine compartment, or does it ground to the body? To simple, already thought of that?

skidmarks
01-05-2011, 11:02 AM
didnt think of that but i will check tonight.

LizardRunner
01-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Don't overlook checking your grounds, those buggers seem to be a major cause of electrical problems with our XJ's.

skidmarks
01-17-2011, 11:45 AM
ok, to all that gave me suggestions. THANKS! I finally got it started and it ran for 20 mins before overheating. But now i have a problem with no cluster lights or anything working and i think my thermostat is stuck or dead. i had to run a seperate line to the fuel pump cause it didnt have power. sooo any suggestions???

teamwestoutdoors
01-17-2011, 02:09 PM
ok, to all that gave me suggestions. THANKS! I finally got it started and it ran for 20 mins before overheating. But now i have a problem with no cluster lights or anything working and i think my thermostat is stuck or dead. i had to run a seperate line to the fuel pump cause it didnt have power. sooo any suggestions???

No cluster lights means you have no tail lights. Double check fuses. Your aux fan my be on that same wire cluster and somethings not right there.

skidmarks
01-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Actually I have tail lights brake lights but I didn't check turn signals.