PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Build Question

chuck2000xj
01-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Ok....so i have NO experience welding. I have a neighbor that introduced himself to me a few weeks ago and we were talking about building bumpers for our jeeps. He said he would help me build one. I have been searching for a design that I really liked. I found this one by Hanson. http://www.hansonoffroad.com/proddetail.php?prod=JXJ1202-P Now because of my lack of knowledge my question is what size sheet metal should I use to be strong enough but not weigh a ton? Thanks guys!!:patriot:

XJ4IV
01-04-2011, 02:45 PM
3/16 is plenty strong and light enough for XJ's... have a looksey at mine that I built
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo167/seivey/8696b043.jpg

XJ4IV
01-04-2011, 02:47 PM
quick ammendment I used 1/4 inch angle iron for the portion that mounts TO the bumper... I have NEVER had an issue with it and I can hang my jeep in a tree... Ive had to do it to change a tire out once

chuck2000xj
01-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Thats exactly what I'm looking for. I love it man. I was gonna try to start figuring out how much all this was going to cost. I like the fog lights mounted in there.

LizardRunner
01-05-2011, 03:37 PM
cardboard is great for making patterns and using as a test fit. .25 is good for where you really want the strength, like your mounts. I agree on the 3/16 everywhere else, no need to just ad weight unless it is going to also add function.

chuck2000xj
01-05-2011, 04:04 PM
cardboard is great for making patterns and using as a test fit. .25 is good for where you really want the strength, like your mounts. I agree on the 3/16 everywhere else, no need to just ad weight unless it is going to also add function.

Thanks for the advice as well man.

LizardRunner
01-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Your welcome.
I plan on building my own front and rear bumpers and will mock them up in cardboard first. that way I can test fit for clearances and make sure I like the look before I start cutting metal. I am going to make extended mounts so they are also the clevis mounts for recovery points and I plan on having a drop built in for the winch mount so it sits as low as possible for air flow to the radiator. Mine will be gas welded unless I can get the money together for the miller TiG I want. I don't need the speed of a wire welder.

PolarXJ
01-06-2011, 01:03 PM
x2 on what lizardrunner stated. Have fun with your build, its great to make things yourself. Granted I bought mine, but I couldn't pass up on the price. And they are exactly what I was wanting in the front and rear bumpers.

chuck2000xj
01-06-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm excited about getting my metal together and getting this fab started. Gonna need to wait for me to get some money first though.

huntingfinatic
01-10-2011, 09:50 PM
XJ4IV- I really like that look you have going there!.... Do you have a side veiw? I am invisioning one for mine as well. I want to build from scratch. I will probably use tube form most of it.

LizardRunner
01-11-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm excited about getting my metal together and getting this fab started. Gonna need to wait for me to get some money first though.

Have any Scrap Yards nearby? we have three here and on occassion I can find the raw material I want for a project there and only pay a fraction of new cost. just depends on how "thrifty" you want to be, how much rust to start out with you can tolerate and if you wanted say, stainless steel. thicker pieces like half inch up to one inch thick can be found there for items like small welding tables pretty darn cheep since you will usually pay by the pound instead normal pricing.

XJ408
01-11-2011, 04:36 PM
3/16 is plenty strong and light enough for XJ's... have a looksey at mine that I built
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo167/seivey/8696b043.jpg

that looks awesome....i wish i can weld....

LizardRunner
01-13-2011, 01:31 PM
yes indeedie, that is plenty of beef for a bumper ! I love the look of your bumper.

03ghosthemi
01-23-2011, 02:14 PM
X2 on the scrap. Most steel venders have scrap bins. For bumper builds and most jeep fab, brackets/tabs/mounts could be found in these piles and are a hell of a lot cheaper than ordering new matl.
Good luck with the build and post pics.

Bill