PDA

View Full Version : To much damage?

teamwestoutdoors
01-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Think this is too much damage to the teeth of my Lock right?

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn203/wildwestbows/699936982_photobucket_19779_.jpg

Mudderoy
01-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Think this is too much damage to the teeth of my Lock right?

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn203/wildwestbows/699936982_photobucket_19779_.jpg

I'm still learning...

You mean in the upper right corner of the picture?

teamwestoutdoors
01-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Yeah, There are about six teeth with wear on them. Starting from about the 12 O'clock position the 3 O'clock position.

Mudderoy
01-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Yeah, There are about six teeth with wear on them. Starting from about the 12 O'clock position the 3 O'clock position.

I mentioned the learning part, but I would really be surprised if that was enough wear to cause it to fail.

teamwestoutdoors
01-03-2011, 09:07 PM
I swapped the drivers around to different sides to help as the other side was just fine, very minimal wear. I also put in another thrush washer to take up the extra slack in the tolerance and make the whole thing tighter. I was unable to get it all put together before it got to cold. So I will keep everyone updated. :thumbsup:

LizardRunner
01-05-2011, 02:06 PM
That damage could cause some trouble but it doesn't look so severe that you need to replace it. Are you sure you need an added thrust washer? you don't want the tolerances too close or you can turn it into a spool without meaning to.

PolarXJ
01-05-2011, 03:27 PM
That damage could cause some trouble but it doesn't look so severe that you need to replace it. Are you sure you need an added thrust washer? you don't want the tolerances too close or you can turn it into a spool without meaning to.

x2 It might slip in a really tight place, and again it might not. Its only 6 teeth out of all the others.

teamwestoutdoors
01-05-2011, 07:34 PM

with the extra thrush washer it is right where the instructions say it should be. I'm not sure why there is extra space. my bearings look to me like they are in prime condition. Could it just be my Carrier is a little big?

oderdene
01-06-2011, 06:18 AM
what about functioning? are there any problem? it is not many teeth and wear only, not a crack etc.

LizardRunner
01-06-2011, 12:34 PM
well if the extra thrust washer brought it into spec., then you are probably correct in suspecting too big a carrier. I doubt you would have serious issues with it functioning correctly, that damage doesn't look really serious. You could take some fine wet/dry paper to the damaged areas only just so there would not be an issue with hanging up. Just enough to get rid of any metal "pokies"

oderdene
01-07-2011, 06:46 AM
is it aligned correctly? I can't understand why wearing on this area? I guess, when locker in action "locked" all teeth match with opposite side teeth and when unlocking they will move apart evenly. Maybe axle shaft bent?

teamwestoutdoors
01-07-2011, 08:25 AM
is it aligned correctly? I can't understand why wearing on this area? I guess, when locker in action "locked" all teeth match with opposite side teeth and when unlocking they will move apart evenly. Maybe axle shaft bent?

The best I can come up with is this. Having just bought this jeep about eight months ago. When I bought it the driver side tire had a slow leak in it, the same side that has the damaged teeth on the locker. The PO was driving it as a back up Daily ride while he was working on his truck. In the research I did, I discovered that running different diameter tires due to lower pressure on one side, will prematurely wear out a lunch box locker. So adding the premature wear from the low tire pressure to the heavy clay mud I got into the other weekend and you can see the damage done. I'm not sure how the tolerance got out. I looked over the carrier and bearings and found nothing out of line. But, adding the extra thrush washer put my tolerance right on the money.

I did get it all back together and took it out for a ride. I have no more slipping other then the occasional pop that come when I'm taking a corner as is to be expected. As for how long it will all hold up we'll have to wait and see. :smiley-gen165:

LizardRunner
01-07-2011, 01:32 PM
sounds cool for now. and yeah with lockers you gotta keep the pressures the same. you might look into that new nitrogen thing at a tire store. It's pretty sweet and if you don't have a leak, no pressure woes.

teamwestoutdoors
01-07-2011, 07:14 PM
sounds cool for now. and yeah with lockers you gotta keep the pressures the same. you might look into that new nitrogen thing at a tire store. It's pretty sweet and if you don't have a leak, no pressure woes.
Nitrogen thing?

LizardRunner
01-11-2011, 04:12 PM
yes they fill your tires with nitrogen instead of air. you get cool green valve stems, so that no one will goof up and try to add air. Nitrogen doesn't expand and contract like air so your tire pressures will remain stable as long as you don't have any slow leaks in a. the tire and b. the rim. OH yeah, and air will allow your tires to degenerate from the inside out, nitrogen won't.

Mudderoy
01-12-2011, 11:18 AM
yes they fill your tires with nitrogen instead of air. you get cool green valve stems, so that no one will goof up and try to add air. Nitrogen doesn't expand and contract like air so your tire pressures will remain stable as long as you don't have any slow leaks in a. the tire and b. the rim. OH yeah, and air will allow your tires to degenerate from the inside out, nitrogen won't.

It's interesting that nitrogen only makes that big of a difference. Ya know since air is 78% nitrogen.

Jeepster19
01-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Do you guys have any idea what it costs to get Nitrogen put in your tires?I like that idea!Do they just let the air out of your tires or is it more involved?:confused:

oderdene
01-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Here it costs 5$ per tire, they de-inflate and fill with N2 gas. Lots of good opinions about nitrogen filling and I still have an air in my tire. No idea price in USA. :D

Weldmen
01-12-2011, 10:43 PM
nitrogen filling is about $6.50 buck a tire her in the USA Wisconsin that is. It is well worth it though.