PDA

View Full Version : Simple Mod Questions

4x4Dalton
12-31-2010, 10:37 AM
Hey guys. We all know I dont know that much about the mods and all to do to a XJ. Thats why I joined here was to learn :D. Ok question time..
#1-If the motor gives out completely ,I mean just dies,what size engines are out there available for XJ's?
#2-Can someone please tell me what is out there in the form of door panel and rocker panel protection besides sliders?
#3- What are the thinest and thickest you would go when building a custom bumper or sliders?
#4-I know a ACOS system will help the front end but whats to help hold up rear once custom bumper is added?

Ok I have asked enough this week :smiley-laughing021: Just some stuff thats been bouncin around in my head and wanted to know.Thanks

4.3LXJ
12-31-2010, 10:58 AM
#1 You are pretty much stuck with another 4.0, unless you want to do a lot of work with motor mounts or adaptors. Then you are restricted to what Advance Adapters or Novak has to offer there.

#2 Rocker panel there are only sliders unless you fabricate. Then you can weld in boat sides by cutting out the existing rockers and substituting heavier steel. Door panels don't have many options except extending out the sliders a little further.

#3 3/16 - 1/4"

#4 Use an add a leaf. If a bumper is all that is added, make it a thin one.

Mudderoy
12-31-2010, 11:52 AM
Hey guys. We all know I dont know that much about the mods and all to do to a XJ. Thats why I joined here was to learn :D. Ok question time..
#1-If the motor gives out completely ,I mean just dies,what size engines are out there available for XJ's?
#2-Can someone please tell me what is out there in the form of door panel and rocker panel protection besides sliders?
#3- What are the thinest and thickest you would go when building a custom bumper or sliders?
#4-I know a ACOS system will help the front end but whats to help hold up rear once custom bumper is added?

Ok I have asked enough this week :smiley-laughing021: Just some stuff thats been bouncin around in my head and wanted to know.Thanks

1. Stroke it! (a more direct response would be I don't know.)
2. I bet you could do the same thing people do with the rear quarter panel.
3. no idea
4. Personally I would go with the right size coils and leaves with shackles.

XJ4IV
12-31-2010, 11:52 PM
#1-If the motor gives out completely ,I mean just dies,what size engines are out there available for XJ's? BORE IT OUT and rebuild to a 4.6!!!
#2-Can someone please tell me what is out there in the form of door panel and rocker panel protection besides sliders?... A door SKIN??? like armore but your lookin at WAY more greenbacks as that would need to be custom made and not offer as much protection as sliders
#3- What are the thinest and thickest you would go when building a custom bumper or sliders? I use 3/16 at the VERY least and USUALLY use 1/4, I have SEEN but would NEVER myself use 1/2 steel for bumpers... only cause it not needed they are jeeps not TRAINS!
#4-I know a ACOS system will help the front end but whats to help hold up rear once custom bumper is added?You could buy an add a leaf kit for about 100 bucks usually gives you back what youd lose on a heavy bumper or adjustable shackles or even a solid 1 inch block try to avoid cast aluminum blocks of you really wheel it more than just mud... as far as ACOS they are great but pretty expensive when at the same time you could add a few junk yard coil isolaters on top to get your height back... they usually cost about 5 bucks for a pair at a JY just get two or three pair they are good to keep around also

LizardRunner
01-06-2011, 01:50 PM

#1-If the motor gives out completely ,I mean just dies,what size engines are out there available for XJ's? Go Stroker up to 5.0, transplant a V8 but you need to be a fabricator for this one.

#2-Can someone please tell me what is out there in the form of door panel and rocker panel protection besides sliders? Custom Fabrication, you can do as suggested above and even make the new rockers air tanks if you use .25 thickness tubing..

#3- What are the thinest and thickest you would go when building a custom bumper or sliders? Bumpers = 3/16 to 1/4 (.25), sliders = 1/4 to 3/16, any thicker is really only extra weight unless you are going to air tank your fabricated sliders then you might want a little more beef but I have seen 3/16" thick with the air tanks take some serious hits and not leak.

#4-I know a ACOS system will help the front end but whats to help hold up rear once custom bumper is added? you can have your springs re-arched or use add-a-leafs or you could just go with new springs or you could air bag