PDA

View Full Version : What are friends for....

Firemanray
12-24-2010, 05:38 PM
.....man I got some good one's to!!

Earlier this week the family decided to go spend a few days at Galveston. Of course that means the XJ HAS to go, you know for the beach and all. We started out with the Xj in tow behind the Dodge 2500 (diesel, lot's of power, this will be important later). We then decided that it wasn't really that far so we dropped the truck at my shop and went on our way in the Xj.

I noticed as we got into Houston that there was a roaring noise coming from the front end so I pulled into a nasty looking convenience store to check it out. I found the front right wheel bearing pretty much GONE! (Now can you imagine me pulling this thing behind the Dodge with no clue.) I had my trusty tool box and jack with me so I Garmin'd up an O'rielley part store and limped the 2.7 miles through some rough looking nieghborhoods to get there.

On the way I thought I might call BigJim for help, but decided to wait and see what I came up with at the store. I did however call a very good friend that builds elevators in Houston and put him on stand by in case I needed a ride home.

(Getting long I know). Now this is where the "good friend" part comes in. While I was in the store checking on parts he calls me back and ask's the address of my location. By time I had the parts and tools rounded up he rolls into the parking lot with his tool rig. (torches, hammers, hand tools,etc.).

At this point we set up shop with a bunch of homeless looking folks watching from every corner. After applying some "fire wrench" and large "convincing tools" we got the 137,000 mile bearing assembly changed.

We continued on our way less than 2 hours after the ordeal began. Now he's one up on me for the "pay backs".

Friends like that are hard to find. Big Thanks! to my "brother"!:thumbsup:

cantab27
12-24-2010, 06:04 PM
thats how the world should work eh ray ,,,i like to think i got mates to help out ,, well i do cause they have ,,, and i enjoy the pay back as well ...
good to hear ya got mobile again ...

bluedragon436
12-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Friends like that are certainly good to have... and awesome that they are willing to go the distance to hook you up like that..

bigjim350
12-24-2010, 11:18 PM
.....man I got some good one's to!!

Earlier this week the family decided to go spend a few days at Galveston. Of course that means the XJ HAS to go, you know for the beach and all. We started out with the Xj in tow behind the Dodge 2500 (diesel, lot's of power, this will be important later). We then decided that it wasn't really that far so we dropped the truck at my shop and went on our way in the Xj.

I noticed as we got into Houston that there was a roaring noise coming from the front end so I pulled into a nasty looking convenience store to check it out. I found the front right wheel bearing pretty much GONE! (Now can you imagine me pulling this thing behind the Dodge with no clue.) I had my trusty tool box and jack with me so I Garmin'd up an O'rielley part store and limped the 2.7 miles through some rough looking nieghborhoods to get there.

On the way I thought I might call BigJim for help, but decided to wait and see what I came up with at the store. I did however call a very good friend that builds elevators in Houston and put him on stand by in case I needed a ride home.

(Getting long I know). Now this is where the "good friend" part comes in. While I was in the store checking on parts he calls me back and ask's the address of my location. By time I had the parts and tools rounded up he rolls into the parking lot with his tool rig. (torches, hammers, hand tools,etc.).

At this point we set up shop with a bunch of homeless looking folks watching from every corner. After applying some "fire wrench" and large "convincing tools" we got the 137,000 mile bearing assembly changed.

We continued on our way less than 2 hours after the ordeal began. Now he's one up on me for the "pay backs".

Friends like that are hard to find. Big Thanks! to my "brother"!:thumbsup:

Any time you need some help please DO NOT hesitate to call me. I will gladly lend a hand.

Tural
12-24-2010, 11:35 PM
good to have friends like that. in times i've had to wonder if there are people like that left in this world.

Firemanray
12-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Any time you need some help please DO NOT hesitate to call me. I will gladly lend a hand.

I knew you would come if I called. I was just lucky my buddy was just down I-10 from where we ended up at.

Same goes for you, I'm not that far up the road!!

BlueXJ
12-25-2010, 06:34 PM
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj62/evil_twin1133/big482361.jpg

PolarXJ
12-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Thats awesome.

4x4Dalton
12-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I dont have many friends round here but the ones I do have I know I can trust them to be there if I need them.

XJ4IV
01-13-2011, 09:11 AM
LOL I got a call one morning at 2:30 and my buddy calls me up and says "dude I need you to come get me" I though oh hell he's in jail! but he then proceeded to tell me that he and his lady got into an arguement and had missed their turn on a street... this sounds odd but some streets in dallas have a turning lane PRIOR to the intersection and there is a little island at the corner of the intersection, well his lady was driving and argueing at the same time and realized she missed the little turn off prior to the actual intersection and decided to turn AT the intersection... which had not yet been completed yet! they were in a honda accord... in ten inches of mud... he said " you gotta hurry man before the fuzz shows up! we have been drinkin and when a cop ses how we are stuck he will totally give us a sobreity test that we will fail"!
So I saddled up the ole jeep and hauled *** over there and yanked him out, that poor honda had more mud on it than my jeep ever had! guess that what you get wheen a jeeper tries to unstick his CAR !

Mudderoy
01-13-2011, 10:03 AM
LOL I got a call one morning at 2:30 and my buddy calls me up and says "dude I need you to come get me" I though oh hell he's in jail! but he then proceeded to tell me that he and his lady got into an arguement and had missed their turn on a street... this sounds odd but some streets in dallas have a turning lane PRIOR to the intersection and there is a little island at the corner of the intersection, well his lady was driving and argueing at the same time and realized she missed the little turn off prior to the actual intersection and decided to turn AT the intersection... which had not yet been completed yet! they were in a honda accord... in ten inches of mud... he said " you gotta hurry man before the fuzz shows up! we have been drinkin and when a cop ses how we are stuck he will totally give us a sobreity test that we will fail"!
So I saddled up the ole jeep and hauled *** over there and yanked him out, that poor honda had more mud on it than my jeep ever had! guess that what you get wheen a jeeper tries to unstick his CAR !

You drove to Dallas?!?!?! :driving:

MaxxTraxx
02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm fairly sure that was when he lived in DFW area.

cantab27
02-28-2011, 11:48 PM
well i think christchurch has made some new ones .......cheers

easttxhunter
03-01-2011, 09:11 AM
well i think christchurch has made some new ones .......cheers

For sure.

LizardRunner
03-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Friend: a person who will always stand by you when all others run the other way; a person who will travel as far as need be to come to your aid.

On a few occassions I have traveled two hours to lend help to a friend. Once I traveled from Sacrament to Hermosa beach (396 miles one way) to pick up a friend who had become stranded by his vehicle burning.

I have also had friends travel to help me out a few times. One even went to the parts store before he came, because I needed a part to get running again. Those are people you cherish.

BlueXJ
03-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Yes i had an alternator go out on my Pick-up and leave me stranded in the boonies on the King Ranch. A buddy stopped at the parts store and picked up anew one plus a new belt. When he got to me he wouldn't even let me assist. He said I had a long trip ahead of me and nice clean clothes, so made me sit on the tailgate with my wife while he changed it out. Then he said "You are good to go", but would not even let me pay him for the parts. He said he would collect when I got back. Did I mention we were moving to Georgia at the time. Hector if you are reading this I say to you again THANKS.

bluedragon436
03-01-2011, 10:56 AM
That truly is an awesome friend there!! I hope that I will find that I have such friends if/when something like this might arise!!

LizardRunner
03-01-2011, 12:03 PM
That's a true friend there Mike, I'd love to meet Hector and shake his hand.

BlueXJ
03-01-2011, 02:14 PM
He is a great guy. Owns a repair shop in town and lives on a ranch north of town. His wife and mine are good friends and he was the first guy that came to mind when the truck's alternator quit. Seems I made a correct decision.

Switch_knuckles
03-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Having people you can trust and count on is a blessing. When I lived in VA (VA Beach area) I got a call from a friend in DC. Him and his girl had gotten into a fight and she left him there. So I packed up my VW left a message for my boss and headed for DC. 3 1/2 hours later we had a beer in DC, then headed home.

easttxhunter
03-02-2011, 08:55 PM
I feel like I have made some trust worthy friends on this site in the last few weeks.