PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover PVC/CCV Elbows Won't Fit

thumperxj
12-21-2010, 06:38 PM
I have a 1995 XJ. I ordered some PCV/CCV elbows online for a 91-96 4.0L XJ engine. They are genuine Mopar Parts. The elbows were directionally notched like a radiator cap but my valve cover has hard plastic grommets and a "push-in" style fittings attached. Here's my dilemma: The correct aftermarket PCV elbow I purchased at Auto Zone is all plastic and no rubber seal. Oil now leaks from around the edge, after I installed it. Is the grommet supposed to be rubbery or stiff? Could the original rubber grommet harden like plastic over time? Trying to see a close up picture of a valve cover for any year XJ from the inside has been a trial. The Mopar parts I received were: 53030591,53006239, 53030492, and 53030726. I have checked online and the parts listed are supposed to work. Anyone know what year has the notched 1/2 turn elbows? Since they utilize a rubber gasket, i would prefer to use them, however, I can't find any info on which years use the notched twist-on style fitting. Anyone have any suggestions?

oderdene
12-22-2010, 01:50 AM
Yes, my rubber seal hardened as plastic, I made seal using old inner tube. Mine is 91 4.0 HO and 1/2 turn.

see this http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/JAvalveCover/ValveCover.htm

WhiteKnight2
12-22-2010, 07:03 PM
I have a 95 xj 4.0 HO and recently replaced the same parts. I found the Vent elbow at a local parts store. It was made by Dorman (in one of those HELP! boxes). The part # is 47079. The rubber grommet on the valve cover was very hard like plastic and i had to hammer it in using a deadblow hammer. The seal wasnt that great either but a little bit of red RTV did the trick. The other elbow is close to the same part # but i didnt need it. Hope this helps.