PDA

View Full Version : Camp Cooking

afbond03
12-20-2010, 09:49 PM
So my dad and I are trying to get an annual camping trip going. With me being in the military it works out really well because we do it on Memorial weekend and surprisingly enough it has been easy to get leave during that time.
Anywho on to the subject at hand. I am really wanting to purchase a nice camp stove/grill for this next years trip. Last year we had both the little coleman stove and grill, that became a pain in the butt.
I am looking at something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Expedition-3X-Triple-Burner-Stove/dp/B0033SU9IE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1292903166&sr=8-1

It comes with a nice griddle and then you buy a grill box for another $100. Now once it is all said and done I am looking at spending shy of $400. While for everything I get I don't find that a horrible price but before I pull the trigger I was curious if anyone had any other suggestions.

I like the 3 burner over the 2 burner because while the grill box is taking up 2 burners you still have one burner open for side dishes.

So lets discuss some camp cooking!

4.3LXJ
12-20-2010, 11:36 PM
We use two stoves, and have fed groups of 2 - 20 with them. One is just a standard Coleman stove. The other is a twin burner free standing stove from Cabelas. It has two 10,000 btu burners that we use for boiling water to make hot drinks, mashed potatoes and pasta with.If you are looking for a griddle, we just use a non stick griddle on the small stove.

Tural
12-21-2010, 02:03 AM
in the spirit of conserving space and weight you could get a collapsible wood grille from walmart for 25 bucks. burns wood or charcoal. and you can wrap some aluminum foil on your pot so that it doesn't get smoked up. it's good for keeping warm too.

PolarXJ
12-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Camp Chef makes a similar product. IDK the price comparison to the one you've got linked. How long to you camp for each trip?

afbond03
12-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Camp Chef makes a similar product. IDK the price comparison to the one you've got linked. How long to you camp for each trip?

That is a Camp Chef product actually.
We usually do 2 weeks. Set-up in one spot.

Wood and charcoal are nice, but propane is just too easy.

steph74
12-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Camp cooking ? Dutch oven nothing else and for that you just need a flat surface and some coals
then your little stove will be plenty for the extras like hot water and stuff...

other than that yes camp chef makes good products (go Utah) but they are really expensive I think. I looked at the link you provided and what is shown look small
Have you considered something like that ?
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/king-kooker-triple-burner-outdoor-camp-stove.aspx?a=559868

afbond03
12-21-2010, 06:11 PM
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/king-kooker-triple-burner-outdoor-camp-stove.aspx?a=559868

Hell, I even looked there my dad has a membership. I like that price.

Dutch Oven would be nice but at the same time we might end up with 20+ camping with us. So something like these 3 burners would make things fast and easy for breakfast especially.

afbond03
12-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Well I pulled the trigger on the 3 burner camp chef. Bought the grill box and griddle to go with it. Also purchased bags for everything. Just seemed like the right setup for what I wanted. I bought it off Amazon and am having it shipped to my parents as their Christmas gift.

PolarXJ
12-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Congrats! Everyone I've talked to really like their camp chef. I agree is kinda big for a xj, but when you have a base camp set up for 2 weeks, I can definitely see how the backpack stoves get old real quick :D