PDA

View Full Version : The DANA 60 upgrade

Pages : 1 [2]

4.3LXJ
05-11-2012, 10:27 AM
man Ill never do that to myself again ... 6 months with no jeep makes one weak!!!
I wanted to buy another one just so I can drive one!
If I EVER decide to do something big like this I will buy every single item PRIOR to taking the "immobilization" step!

You have changed some of the things you started out to do. You can never line all the parts up unless you have done it before. Stuff happens.

XJ4IV
05-13-2012, 09:09 PM
{cough} Durango {cough} :D

It's great to see it out and about again. You made a lot of changes, and worked out the bugs. I hope it works well for years now with just some minor maintenance.

{cough} POS magnum motor! faulty oil pump.{cough}
it drove perfectly fine for a while then the oil pump went south!

XJ4IV
05-13-2012, 09:10 PM
if I ever decide to do something like this ... Ill take my buddies advice and buy a built buggy... I know the key is to build it yourself and learn to love it like raising a child... but sometimes its easier to just kidnap one LOL

msmoorenburg
05-13-2012, 09:11 PM

lol give ya 500 for the headache :bang:

Mudderoy
05-14-2012, 03:18 PM

Oh that's right! So what's going on with that? The company complete their investigation of the pump yet? If so what are they going to do about your motor?

XJ4IV
05-14-2012, 10:43 PM
I decided to not even TOUCH the Durango till the jeep was finished cause I dumped so much time n money on the D and it COULD have gone to the more dependable vehicle... sadly the 20year old jeep! anyhow that all being said tonight I bought a suburban so the D will probably get a rebuild or a salvage motor and be gone... I have not removed the oil pump but knowing how companies are they will find a freakin loophole to go around it Ill tare it down but I aint holdin my breath for a free rebuild!

XJ4IV
05-18-2012, 10:51 PM
well Im not sure if its FATE or luck or murphys law but the other day while taking the jeep off the trailer I blew out the LOW pressure fitting on my power steering setup... I REALLY think it was fluke timing and I HOPE that a new reservoir will be the fix!
I checked out the old fitting and what SUPPOSED to be very strong plastic was saturated in power steering fluid and now as flimsy as a piece of gum so im PRETTY sure thats not gonna be able to work now!
`

4.3LXJ
05-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Let's hear if for plastic.

XJ4IV
05-18-2012, 11:12 PM
HIP HIP... you SUCK lol
Im looking through rock auto to see fi theres is another option but it appears that when they switched body styles... apparently the reservoir is PART of the pump and no longer offered seperate! soo THAT sucks!!! and after reviewing some stuff on rock auto it shows that the OE reservoir had a fitting on the BACK of the reservoir that was the same piece of plastic where as MINE was a fitting that went into a hole on the SIDE... I got mine from a buddy so I need to ask what year and KIND of jeep that came from!I still have my old reservoir that the fitting broke on as well perhaps I can buy a metal fitting that has a threaded end that I can put in the reservoir... WONT BREAK THEN!!!

TeXJ
05-18-2012, 11:47 PM
oh man that could have been bad.

4.3LXJ
05-19-2012, 12:05 AM
HIP HIP... you SUCK lol
Im looking through rock auto to see fi theres is another option but it appears that when they switched body styles... apparently the reservoir is PART of the pump and no longer offered seperate! soo THAT sucks!!! and after reviewing some stuff on rock auto it shows that the OE reservoir had a fitting on the BACK of the reservoir that was the same piece of plastic where as MINE was a fitting that went into a hole on the SIDE... I got mine from a buddy so I need to ask what year and KIND of jeep that came from!I still have my old reservoir that the fitting broke on as well perhaps I can buy a metal fitting that has a threaded end that I can put in the reservoir... WONT BREAK THEN!!!

Plastic reservoir?

XJ4IV
05-19-2012, 10:18 PM
The only thing I have ever had break is that little flange for the return line... If I replaced that with a metal on I think Id be ok!~

4.3LXJ
05-19-2012, 10:34 PM
That was my point. If it was a metal case, do some welding or brazing and fix it with metal

XJ4IV
05-19-2012, 10:54 PM
ugh lol im confused... what I was meaning is use the plastic reservoir and bore out the hole a tad and then put a metal fitting that is threaded and tighten that sucker down!
this is basically what is in there OE... the black one only NOT threaded its just popped in there like a button works
http://www.grnleafinc.com/catalog/hose_fittings/H_EL1212.jpg
and what i was meaning is taking a fitting like THIS
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_va58LSuOqe0KTR5xMVcq-lULA8cV24XYzEDwO7Mpvvjqjry4kdJ_ML5JTQ
and put a nut on the back side (inside the reservoir) and tighten the hell out of it! Im pretty sure that would finalize the deal!
but anyhow DEAD HORSE... I ordered the new reservoir today