PDA

View Full Version : How to eat with a broken fork!

BrianXJ
12-20-2010, 01:49 PM
I have a broken fork on my Dana 30 Vacuum Disconnect. Anyone else with this issue.

cantab27
12-20-2010, 06:57 PM
i haven't Brain but i do like to know about things that brake on the old xjs .......

http://www.google.co.nz/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GPCK_enNZ312NZ312&q=broken+fork+dana+30+vacuum+disconnect

something in there for ya maybe .....

prerunner1982
12-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Sounds like it is time to replace it with a non CAD axle. :thumbsup:

may pop
12-26-2010, 02:22 PM
That or lock it into the always on position like a newer one. then get rid of the old vacumm lines.

Thomass
12-26-2010, 03:32 PM
I have a broken fork on my Dana 30 Vacuum Disconnect. Anyone else with this issue.

it is not that hard to repair, just take it apart (watch the oil) clean it out and because it is an ALU fork, find a TIG welder in your neighbourhood and let it weld to gether then reshape (grinding) and put it al together again. and do not forget to check the dif oil level
I did this on one of my journeys in the alps

BrianXJ
01-02-2011, 04:56 AM
I am going to my buddy's shop on monday so we will see what comes of it.

Mudderoy
01-02-2011, 05:21 AM
I am going to my buddy's shop on monday so we will see what comes of it.

Yeah, keep us updated. I'd like to know what the problem and solution were.

I still wonder why that sleeve(?) won't move.

BrianXJ
01-02-2011, 01:41 PM
I will update after I get home. I have a feeling that I may just weld the sleeve in place. But the guy I bought the jeep from is giving my another housing for the vac disco. so I may try to break the sleeve loose and fix it the right way until my solid shaft comes in.

BrianXJ
01-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Well no work on the front axle today. But, I did score some spare shafts today. My buddy says that I have to get the tire off the ground and rotate the wheel to get the shaft to slide over. I will test that theory hopefully tomorrow.

BrianXJ
01-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Well after a day out in the cold. I have a temp fix on it. I slid the collar over and put a screw type hose clamp around the outer axle to try and keep the collar from moving back over to disengage the front axle. I drove it about 10 miles home from my buddy's shop with no issues so maybe this will help anyone else with the issue. After the snow is gone I will take the cover off and take a pic of the temp fix.

BlueXJ
01-15-2011, 09:03 AM
After you get the snow problem behind you remove the fork and replace the two piece axle with a one piece axle and remove the vacuum line and plug up your vacuum source. Or if you desire to keep the dico axles then replace the fork and use a posi- lock cable for disengagement and engagement. It will be more reliable and will no longer be Dependant upon engine vacuum which can vary with throttle position.

BrianXJ
01-15-2011, 09:04 AM
After you get the snow problem behind you remove the fork and replace the two piece axle with a one piece axle and remove the vacuum line and plug up your vacuum source. Or if you desire to keep the dico axles then replace the fork and use a posi- lock cable for disengagement and engagement. It will be more reliable and will no longer be Dependant upon engine vacuum which can vary with throttle position.

I already have a one piece shaft on the way. lol