PDA

View Full Version : tranny cooler ?

urbantank
12-17-2010, 07:58 PM
i was wondering if it would hurt anything if i bypassed my radiator and just run the tranny lines throught the cooler

JeepinOutfitters
12-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Nah, you ought to be fine. I probably wouldn't do it if you lived in a cold climate, but I don't think Georgia counts. ;) . Fwiw, I've had my trans fluid bypassing the radiator for years now and only running thru a B&M auxiliary cooler.

Oh yeah, IMHO the stock mopar tans cooler (if your XJ is equipped with one) IMHO isn't big enough to use as a stand alone cooler.

urbantank
12-18-2010, 08:26 AM
yea i was gonna get the b&m cooler

4.3LXJ
12-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Aux coolers are good. If you use your tranny hard, like harder than running around town, then the stock cooler needs to be upgraded.

ParadiseXJ
12-20-2010, 09:40 AM
That's how mine is set up. It may be a little dicey in very cold weather, but then it's really quite easy to swap it back if you don't mind just using hose & clamps instead of the POS disco's.

urbantank
12-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks guys I just wanted to be sure. I'm probly gonna hook up a gauge also to keep eyes on the temp

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

PolarXJ
12-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Those discos suck, if it wasn't for swapping out the entire hose system I'd redo all the connection on the tranny cooling system to get rid of those.

XJ408
01-21-2011, 01:57 AM
Where a best location for the tranny cooler other than in front of the AC condenser and Radiator?

Mudderoy
01-21-2011, 03:37 AM
Where a best location for the tranny cooler other than in front of the AC condenser and Radiator?

Pretty much anywhere if you put a temp sensitive electric fan on it.

j&d Greens
01-21-2011, 03:49 AM
Those discos suck, if it wasn't for swapping out the entire hose system I'd redo all the connection on the tranny cooling system to get rid of those.
We just got rid of ours, using double hose clamps. Seems to be working great my only concern is when we actually go up 4-wheeling that they stay that way. An after thought was to slip a brass presser ring onto the metal ends about an inch in and hose clamp it in place then work the line over it with clamps on each side, but we will see if that would even be necessary.

TheWeiss
02-18-2011, 12:55 PM
My tranny lines that run to my radiator seem to be leaking. From what I'm reading on this thread do you guys recommend pulling the disconectors off and clamping a new hose in place? I think that would be a great idea for me. Does anyone know what size hose I would want to buy?

BrianXJ
02-18-2011, 12:58 PM
My tranny lines that run to my radiator seem to be leaking. From what I'm reading on this thread do you guys recommend pulling the disconectors off and clamping a new hose in place? I think that would be a great idea for me. Does anyone know what size hose I would want to buy?

x2

oderdene
02-18-2011, 08:06 PM
I just cut it and clamped, hose was long enough to pull and connect.