PDA

View Full Version : Podcast

Mudderoy
12-09-2010, 04:44 PM
If you've been on xjtalk recently you've seen discussion, both in the forums and in Chatbox about a xjtalk "talk" show.

The show, as it stands, is taking two forms. A live show that is broadcast on ustream.tv and a podcast which is a recording of that show. Other podcasts may be recorded that are not broadcast via ustream.tv.

We are currently looking at doing a weekly one hour show. Podcast may appear at any time but certainly after a broadcast.

You may be wondering why we are doing this. For two reasons. I personally find it interesting and fun, and to help promote the website, xjtalk. As I've mentioned before there are several very good Jeep sites out there already and we want xjtalk to be a little different a little more interesting, hopefully. More bang for your browsing buck so to speak.

If you don't know what a podcast is, it really is a misleading name. The word "podcast" originally came shortly after the iPods were released by Apple. These robust audio "music" players could play any audio file, music, talk, or both. A cottage industry formed and everyday people were speaking into their microphones attached to their computers and recording sound files, like MP3's that anyone with a MP3 player could download a listen to.

Many vehicles come with the ability to play MP3 files, (WMA as well) or have the ability to connect a MP3 player. Apple isn't the only company that is making MP3 players. Your computer can be used to play the MP3's as well, although technically it isn't a iPod it can still do the same job playing the audio files.

So if you have a computer, headphones/speakers and the ability to physically hear sound, you already have everything you need to listen to a podcast.

Things could always change depending on the members interests however currently the show will consist of me talking to you via ustream.tv. Anyone is welcome to call into the show, via Skype, and speak "on air" with the host and the audience in the chat room. We are currently only using Skype because the equipment we currently have only supports this communications medium. We may be able to accept traditional phone calls in the future.

Live interviews with guests, or pre-recorded. We are also happy about the most recent added feature, the ability for you to call into a voicemail box and leave your comment or question. This recording can then be played back during the show and answered, etc...

Hopefully this will give those of you that weren't quite sure what the HELL all this podcasting thing is about a better handle on it. In a nutshell it's like a radio station talk show!

I am anxious to hear your thoughts, questions, and general feedback about this new xjtalk information/entertainment avenue.

If you like the idea great, if you don't we want to hear about that too. xjtalk is all about getting information to each other and fun, so please let your opinions be known so we can tune this show to your liking!

:patriot:

prerunner1982
12-09-2010, 05:33 PM
I really hope this takes off and does well... though I am not involved in it and can not partake I like the idea/concept.

cantab27
12-09-2010, 06:47 PM
be good for us overseas members ,,, long as you dont laugh at the way we speak ....

Mudderoy
12-09-2010, 06:50 PM
be good for us overseas members ,,, long as you dont laugh at the way we speak ....

I'm hoping we get the non-US members on the show. I don't know how others feel about it but I have always thought it was very cool that there are people all over the world that love Jeep Cherokees.

There should be a Jeep Cherokee office at the U.N. Bringing people together though Jeeps! :patriot: (wrong flag :smiley-laughing021:)

Mudderoy
12-09-2010, 06:50 PM
I really hope this takes off and does well... though I am not involved in it and can not partake I like the idea/concept.

Maybe you told me and I forgot, why can't you participate? Computer/Internet issues at your house?

4x4Dalton
12-09-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm hoping we get the non-US members on the show. I don't know how others feel about it but I have always thought it was very cool that there are people all over the world that love Jeep Cherokees.

There should be a Jeep Cherokee office at the U.N. Bringing people together though Jeeps! :patriot: (wrong flag :smiley-laughing021:)

Would be cool to hear and talk to around the world Jeep owners. Yes even you Wayne:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

cantab27
12-09-2010, 06:53 PM
lol,, yeah that would work tony ,,, give Helen a ring at the UN ,, ex kiwi prime minister ..

time frame may be a funny thing to sort but ...

ice_cold
12-09-2010, 07:36 PM

Laugh at a Kiwi accent? I giggle at the Texan accent and word pronunciation. :headshake: jk

cantab27
12-09-2010, 09:04 PM
yeah i know I'm doing night classes so i can talk and understand that redneck language ...

OrangeXJ
12-10-2010, 03:58 AM
yeah i know I'm doing night classes so i can talk and understand that redneck language ...

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

BrianXJ
12-10-2010, 04:54 AM

:smiley-scared002::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-scared002:

prerunner1982
12-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Maybe you told me and I forgot, why can't you participate? Computer/Internet issues at your house?

Yes sir that would be correct. It is very difficult to even look at the forums due to pictures, much less any video. I only wish my computer would connect at 56K... I think my connection speed is about 26.6

Mudderoy
12-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Yes sir that would be correct. It is very difficult to even look at the forums due to pictures, much less any video. I only wish my computer would connect at 56K... I think my connection speed is about 26.6

Well thank you for your question on the voicemail. The good news is when you do get high speed Internet you should be able to listen to the past shows then.

prerunner1982
12-10-2010, 11:35 AM
If I ever have a real question to call in..... I will use my real name. :thumbsup:

Also, I don't know if you were planning on making a new thread for each new pod cast or just a continuous thread, but perhaps when you post the link each time could you also list the questions that were discussed? That way if someone else has that particular question they could go straight to that podcast.

Mudderoy
12-10-2010, 12:07 PM
If I ever have a real question to call in..... I will use my real name. :thumbsup:

Also, I don't know if you were planning on making a new thread for each new pod cast or just a continuous thread, but perhaps when you post the link each time could you also list the questions that were discussed? That way if someone else has that particular question they could go straight to that podcast.

That's a great idea. I'll add that to the podcast page. Which you can now get to by clicking on the [imghttp://xjtalk.com/images/special/podcast_icon_27x24.png[/img] icon in the upper right hand corner of the page.

Mudderoy
12-10-2010, 09:21 PM
2nd xjtalk "talk" show podcast is up!

:link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/podcasts.php)

cantab27
12-10-2010, 09:47 PM
hey tony .. sorry may sound dumb but hoe do i get skype , do i down load it , have got the site ,,,cheers mate ,, i want to be part of this i think its pretty cool :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
12-11-2010, 03:18 AM
hey tony .. sorry may sound dumb but hoe do i get skype , do i down load it , have got the site ,,,cheers mate ,, i want to be part of this i think its pretty cool :thumbsup:

Yep should be simular to how you got and installed Ventrilo.

Assuming you have Windows... :link: (http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/windows/)

Mudderoy
12-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Well the compressor/limiter/gate came in today! :cheerleader:

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/mdx4600.jpg

This should give the podcast that big FM radio station sound! :D

Mudderoy
12-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Both podcast tests are available on the podcast page. You can click on the http://xjtalk.com/images/special/podcast_icon_27x24.png (http://www.xjtalk.com/podcasts.php) just under the navbar, or click on this :link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/podcasts.php)

You can now download the podcasts and transfer them to a MP3 player.

Mudderoy
12-13-2010, 03:19 PM
I still need someone to do a Skype test with me.

Remember all you need is...

computer
mic
headphones or a speaker
free Skype software downloaded and installed on your computer (http://www.skype.com)

Just add xjtalk.com to your contacts!

You can also click on the http://xjtalk.com/images/special/skype_24x24.png (callto://xjtalk.com) icon just under the navbar to make a call to xjtalk.com!

prerunner1982
12-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Well the compressor/limiter/gate came in today! :cheerleader:

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/mdx4600.jpg

This should give the podcast that big FM radio station sound! :D

Ohhhhh purdy! Hope you know how to work that thing... a lot of knobs. :rotfl2:

Mudderoy
12-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Ohhhhh purdy! Hope you know how to work that thing... a lot of knobs. :rotfl2:

Only two knobs really do anything, the rest are just replacements if you break one of the two important ones.

Mudderoy
12-22-2010, 06:15 PM
New mixer is in...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_b0ViaGso2Ko/TRKSx26eVjI/AAAAAAAAAiw/JWh9_WpndLo/s800/2010-12-22%2018.05.34.jpg

Podcast tonight! 8pm Central. http://ustream.tv/channel/xjtalk

Mudderoy
12-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Well tonight's show got off to a rocky start because of sound levels, sounded fine on the podcast recording. Thanks to XJ4IV for being a last minute "telephone" guest. Scott did a great job!

You can listen or download and listen to tonight's show by clicking the http://xjtalk.com/images/special/podcast_icon_27x24.png near the top of the page. Just look for the show dated 12-22-2010!

Thank you to all that attended the live show!

bigjim350
12-22-2010, 11:12 PM
It was a great show tony, even though I got there a little late.

4x4Dalton
12-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Show went great Tony even with the lil sound hiccup. The call in from Scott gave at least me some helpfull info for future build up. Thanks again for thinkin of the show idea :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mudderoy
12-22-2010, 11:47 PM
It was a great show tony, even though I got there a little late.

No problem Jim, glad you could make it!

Show went great Tony even with the lil sound hiccup. The call in from Scott gave at least me some helpfull info for future build up. Thanks again for thinkin of the show idea :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks I really appreciate the support. I'm very happy that you guys are enjoying it. With the short term great success I'm hopeful that this could get pretty big, bring in more viewers and members to the site. That will be good for all of us, specifically more posts and more people that know more things! Pretty darned exciting. I need to get you guys more involved in this. I've got ideas... :thumbsup: :smiley-scared002:

BrianXJ
12-23-2010, 12:14 AM
once you get the new mixer fingered out all will be gooder again. lol. i am waiting on the ideas.

oderdene
12-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Thanks Tony, great talk show. downloaded recorded session; sound quality is good. Congrats.

Mudderoy
12-23-2010, 12:38 AM
once you get the new mixer fingered out all will be gooder again. lol. i am waiting on the ideas.

Well the good news is the levels were just about perfect for the podcast recording. It was the levels going to ustream, and perhaps what ustream was doing compressing the data stream that caused the problem.

I have more outputs on this mixer than the smaller one so I may be able to send a less loud, less complicated signal to ustream. I guess in a way that is figuring out the new mixer.

One idea I had a while back was you guys doing interviews. "Hi I'm BrianXJ and I'm from xjtalk.com" "Do you mind if I ask you a few questions for our talk show?"

iPhone or Android have apps that allow you to record audio. It could be uploaded to the xjtalk servers and I could edit it and play it on the show.

"This is BrianXJ reporting from {blah blah blah} event..." Hell I'll even come up with a little laminated badge you can clip on that says you're an official xjtalk.com reporter! :smiley-laughing021:

cantab27
12-23-2010, 12:42 AM
pretty cool show tony ,,,,,,,, who was the kid talking jeep with y'all (just winding ya up scott , was a good show mate )

Mudderoy
12-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Thanks Tony, great talk show. downloaded recorded session; sound quality is good. Congrats.

Thanks! It will get better as I have more practice.

BrianXJ
12-23-2010, 12:54 AM
Well the good news is the levels were just about perfect for the podcast recording. It was the levels going to ustream, and perhaps what ustream was doing compressing the data stream that caused the problem.

I have more outputs on this mixer than the smaller one so I may be able to send a less loud, less complicated signal to ustream. I guess in a way that is figuring out the new mixer.

One idea I had a while back was you guys doing interviews. "Hi I'm BrianXJ and I'm from xjtalk.com" "Do you mind if I ask you a few questions for our talk show?"

iPhone or Android have apps that allow you to record audio. It could be uploaded to the xjtalk servers and I could edit it and play it on the show.

"This is BrianXJ reporting from {blah blah blah} event..." Hell I'll even come up with a little laminated badge you can clip on that says you're an official xjtalk.com reporter! :smiley-laughing021:

Do I get my crayons and helmet with the badge:rotfl2:

Mudderoy
12-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Do I get my crayons and helmet with the badge:rotfl2:

I like the way you think! Get that man a beanie with a propeller!

prerunner1982
12-23-2010, 11:40 AM
So the first time I call in and use my real name and it doesn't even get played...:rolleyes:

Just kidding Tony... sounded good!