PDA

View Full Version : Deal or no Deal ???

steph74
12-09-2010, 09:25 AM
right so if you know my little trouble with thermostat housing, you know that I am looking around for a new head....
O'reilly has some remanufactured for almost $500.....

I guess I could find one at a JY for about $50-80 but it will need to be checked for plan, cracks, cleanned, have a valve job and based o my research I would say an extra 250 to $350 depending on damage.

than I found that...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REBUILT-4-0-AMC-CHEROKEE-JEEP-LAREDO-CYLINDER-HEAD-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f054ea4d6QQitemZ27067 1979734QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Looks to me that it is a deal because shipping is free, new valve train and shipping of the core head is free too....

What do you guys think ? Deal or no deal ? can I get something cheaper going the JY way ?

bluedragon436
12-09-2010, 09:31 AM
IF you ask me I would say that is a deal... but that is just me... I mean you would not really know what it would run for the same machining/inspections and replacement of parts, unless you call a local machine shop.... if I were in your situation, I would just pick this up... but that is just me... especially cause it has a 1 year warranty... which you wouldn't get through most machine shops.... just me... someone can correct me if I am wrong on this..

steph74
12-09-2010, 09:34 AM
yes i am also leaning toward the deal aspect but I don;t want to get burn.... that is still a lot of money for me just before Xmas.... I hope i could wait lol

bluedragon436
12-09-2010, 09:37 AM
well yeah being able to wait until after the holidays would be nice... and if you make it even better... would just make sure you continue to check your fix during that time... but I would say that to me... it seems like that would be a good deal for the reasons I listed as far as having the machine/inspection/new parts all under a warranty... which I don't know too many machine shops that would warranty anything other than all seal/mating surfaces are flat and smooth... and maybe if you are lucky for it being crack free....

4.3LXJ
12-09-2010, 10:20 AM
There are two things I don't like about this deal. First it is easy to get stung on ebay. As long as somebody sends you something, that is OK as far as ebay is concerned. It doesn't even really have to be as the add stated. Second, I don't like mass remanufacturing facilities. They will often fudge a little, crankshafts are particularly bad for this. But the worst thing is this quote from the Core section. "We do REQUIRE your core cylinder head be returned to us. We accept cracked, warped, or damaged cores as your exchange." I wouldn't touch this one personally.

steph74
12-09-2010, 10:22 AM
bummer... what you say just makes sense ;)

4.3LXJ
12-09-2010, 10:51 AM
bummer... what you say just makes sense ;)

Steph, I am a firm advocate of getting a head, then taking it to the machine shop and letting them go over it and rebuild it. My opinion is that they will do a much better job in the long run. And you will get it all back a few cents at a time every time you drive it.

bigjim350
12-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I say no deal. yes it may be cheaper that way. But if orielly or the machine shop gives you a defective head, all you have to do is run over there and get another. Im sure they might swap out the ebay one too, but first you would have to ship to them, then wait again for it to shipped to you. Now if you have plenty of down time go with the ebay head

steph74
12-09-2010, 11:23 AM
hmmm.... I see you guys points....
I guess i am going to talk to a shop first

I know it is not an insurrance but reading the ebay rating for this vendor, he looks to be doing pretty good... but what do i know right ?

I will see....

ice_cold
12-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Search the company name. Did not find much about anyone having issues with the company. Myself, I like to help out the local businesses first, then you can develop a relationship that could work for you later on. So unless the cost difference is HUGE, I would stay local...in saying, if your in West Virginia...then he is local...

steph74
12-09-2010, 05:37 PM
talked with a colleague at lunch... he said he actually used to build hotrods engines and bikes... So is advice is :
Go get one at the Yard for cheap, have it magnafluxed to be sure, bring it to me and I'll help you do the valves...;) he said he has the tools....
I'd say that since my initial objective was to learn as much as possible, I might take this opportunity...

I am glad that I asked you guys though, it is always good to have the opinions of other giuys that know better...
thansk

ice_cold
12-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Now that is the best way... passing of the torch of knowledge

Mudderoy
12-10-2010, 01:46 AM
talked with a colleague at lunch... he said he actually used to build hotrods engines and bikes... So is advice is :
Go get one at the Yard for cheap, have it magnafluxed to be sure, bring it to me and I'll help you do the valves...;) he said he has the tools....
I'd say that since my initial objective was to learn as much as possible, I might take this opportunity...

I am glad that I asked you guys though, it is always good to have the opinions of other giuys that know better...
thansk

Sounds like a write up (hint hint) I'd like to read!

bluedragon436
12-10-2010, 02:37 AM
Yeah that def. seems like a better way to go for sure!!

toebee97
12-10-2010, 02:46 AM
Sounds like a write up (hint hint) I'd like to read!
I agree, I'd love to see a write up of that too!

Sent from my chopped & screwed Captivate

steph74
12-10-2010, 08:08 AM
well yeah when i do it I will definitely take pics and write a little story about it...
but don;t expect anything soon ;)