PDA

View Full Version : Lift Kit Decision

XJ take 2
12-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Whats up everyone, I have a 2001 XJ Limited 4x4. Its a really nice rig but I have always wanted to give it alittle more agressiveness. So I have bought a set of used 32x11.50x15 BFG All Terrain T/A. They only have a few hundred miles on them and have some minor facial cracks on the sidewalls from not being used very much. Im going to put them on a set of 15x8 Cragar soft 8s. So far this fits my budget pretty well. I just need to decided on a lift kit. I was looking at the X-series kit on rough countrys website its almost 900 dollars but I feel like it would be worth it. The other option is the kit on 4 wheeling plus but Im not sure which one would best fit my uses. Its my DD so I will do some wheeling but nothing crazy and I would really like to not trim too much fender so I am thinking 4.5 inches. Take a look at the links and let me know what yall think!!!

- http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4x.html

- http://store.4wheelingplus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=633H

finneys98xj
12-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Rough Country has some decent products. I'm bias toward Rubicon Express because that is what we are running on Pops98xj's heep.

If you are in a tight budget remember if you go with a 4.5 you also have to get a SYE, and driveshaft. If I was on a tight budget I would go with a 3.5 and do a TC drop for now with an adjustable trac-bar, the tires will rub slightly but not to bad. Then later when money loosens up get some 3/4 spacers and shackles or get the rough country 4.5 long arm upgraded.

If you have the cash do it right the first time and go with the 4.5 long arm kit.

finneys98xj
12-08-2010, 10:17 AM
This is the kit I'm talking a bout. Get the full leaf packs trust me you will kick yourself if you don't.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4xla.html

bigjim350
12-08-2010, 10:17 AM
I like the first one from Rough Country. It comes with adjustable upper and lower control arms, with the x-flex joint ends. Rough Country also has lifetime warrany. If you call Rought Country direct, they will give you a great discount. I paid a little over $800 for my 6.5" lift, shipped to my door. Also they have one item on sale every day till christmas, and if you can wait maybe one of the sale items will be for an XJ. Oh and with 6.5", on the road and wheeling I have never seen the need for long arms.

finneys98xj
12-08-2010, 10:23 AM
I like the first one from Rough Country. It comes with adjustable upper and lower control arms, with the x-flex joint ends. Rough Country also has lifetime warrany. If you call Rought Country direct, they will give you a great discount. I paid a little over $800 for my 6.5" lift, shipped to my door. Also they have one item on sale every day till christmas, and if you can wait maybe one of the sale items will be for an XJ. Oh and with 6.5", on the road and wheeling I have never seen the need for long arms.

Long arms make a big difference in the ride quaility and flex. I have never but wheeling in a jeep with long arms but have seen the difference in flex. But I rode in one and the ride is ten times better the pops98xj with short arms.

bluedragon436
12-08-2010, 10:25 AM
They both look to be the same lift to me... but anyways... As far as running a 4.5" lift.. you shouldn't have to trim your fenders at all running 32's... and if you do it will be very minor @ full stuff or full turn... but highly doubtful.... Most people are able to run 4.5" of lift with a TC drop... some people do however have too much vibration and have to pick up a SYE kit.... If you pick up your kit through 4wheeling plus... you will get 15% off of the price of the lift as well, due to him being a vendor on here.... If I didn't already have the majority of my lift... I would purchase my complete lift setup through him... but I am purchasing the remaining items I need from him... and on top of getting a nice discount.... he does have great customer service...

XJ take 2
12-08-2010, 12:01 PM
my only thing seems to be that his kit doesn't come with as much hardware as the rough country kit and the warranty is pretty nice looking too

Mudderoy
12-08-2010, 12:06 PM
The Rough Country 4.5" lift comes with a transfer case drop kit (4 rubber spacers). This means you most LIKELY will NOT need a SYE. I didn't on mine.

I would not go with a 3.5" lift and then a year later you'll wish you had gone with the 4.5"

I would not go with the 6.5" lift unless you are going to do the SYE first. I think the pre-1997 XJ's are more forgiving to the lack of SYE than the 1997+ models are.

SYE is the right thing to do. You should do this before the lift. I'm not that mature so I had to do the lift first, and I always find something more interesting to add to my Jeep...

modestmar00xj
12-08-2010, 02:12 PM
The Rough Country 4.5" lift comes with a transfer case drop kit (4 rubber spacers). This means you most LIKELY will NOT need a SYE. I didn't on mine.

I would not go with a 3.5" lift and then a year later you'll wish you had gone with the 4.5"

I would not go with the 6.5" lift unless you are going to do the SYE first. I think the pre-1997 XJ's are more forgiving to the lack of SYE than the 1997+ models are.

SYE is the right thing to do. You should do this before the lift. I'm not that mature so I had to do the lift first, and I always find something more interesting to add to my Jeep...

Yeah i agree with Mudderoy, i have the 6.5 rough country lift on a 2000 xj and i enjoy it! its my DD. One of my best mods! im not that mature ether i guess cause i drove it for 2 months with out a SYE. It worked alright but you do get vibration around 40 mph. not cool!

So i got the SYE from rustys ($200 bucks) and to save money use a front drive shaft off a cherokee( im not sure what year will work on yours but mine was 97''+)

The right way is to use a SYE, and driveshaft! Also i dont have a long arm kit but i want one! it is a lot smoother ride!! but i dont think its nesasary if your looking to save money right now.

XJ take 2
12-08-2010, 05:48 PM
why are the post 97 XJs less forgiving?

bigjim350
12-08-2010, 06:03 PM
why are the post 97 XJs less forgiving?

The output for the rear driveshaft on the TC is different on the 96+ XJ. The 96+ has an external slip yoke. On the 95 and older the slip yoke slides into the tranfer case housing

XJ take 2
12-08-2010, 06:13 PM
does this mean that i am guaranteed to have vibrations no matter what?

bigjim350
12-08-2010, 06:18 PM
At 4.5" you might be okay with a transfer case drop, which comes with the kit. I thnk tony is a 4.5" with a tc drop and he doesn't have vibes. Anything over 4.5" and I would expect vibes even with a tc drop.

XJ take 2
12-08-2010, 06:20 PM
i imagine that tire size plays a role into this, will having A/Ts help me out more over having M/Ts?

bigjim350
12-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Tire size and style should not make a difference in driveline vibrations. as long as they are properly balanced, and you have a good front end alignment.

XJ4IV
12-08-2010, 06:47 PM
XJ Rat has 4.5 inches with 32's and his is not trimmed anywhere and he wheels it pretty good I got a few pics and a vid of his in action
his is he white one in front... mine is the black in the back
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo167/seivey/2010-09-29134627.jpg
here he is wheelin it... I know its kinda boring at first but wait til the end... he gets on it pretty damn good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGj8Dfjxo1w

XJ take 2
12-08-2010, 07:37 PM
do you know what the dimensions on his tires are? and do you know if he got vibrations after he put the kit on and the year of his XJ?

bluedragon436
12-09-2010, 08:13 AM
my only thing seems to be that his kit doesn't come with as much hardware as the rough country kit and the warranty is pretty nice looking too

Well now that I have looked at it... that would be because the one you were looking @ from RC directly was the X-series lift... and the one you were looking at from 4wheelingplus is the standard 4.5" RC kit... so it does have less parts... if you want the X-series than you would be looking at this one from 4wheelplus http://store.4wheelingplus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=633X&cat=264 if you have the money to go that way... I would either pick up the LA setup... or the X-series lift.... and like I said you also have the plus of having a discount through 4wheelplus on these kits and such so it will be a bit cheaper than RC would charge for it...

XJ take 2
12-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Im going to look into his discounts, thank you for the link. The only thing Im still worried about at this point I guess would if i should get a steering stabilizer or not. Im going to see how my vibrations end up but the steering stabilizer is the last thing im debating. Pros and Cons?

bluedragon436
12-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Well I know that it can sometimes help limit, or fight some parts of death wobble.... plus upgrading to an aftermarket setup stabilizer can help a little bit with the larger than stock size tires as well.. you can pick one up from RC cheap enough through 4wheelplus as well...

XJ take 2
12-09-2010, 09:24 AM
See i want to get the stabilizer now just to do this whole thing write the first time, but its cheaper slightly through RC so if anyone knows if 4wheelingplus combines discounts I guess i would be able to get a discount for being military and being a member here. Any idea how good a discount that is??

bigjim350
12-09-2010, 10:21 AM
I am lifted 6.5" on the RC X series running 33's. I just have the stock stabelizer, and have zero death wobble.

bluedragon436
12-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Like I said... don't have to get one... the only reason I am going to be running one is because I already have one that I got when I got the majority of my lift...

XJ4IV
12-09-2010, 12:16 PM
do you know what the dimensions on his tires are? and do you know if he got vibrations after he put the kit on and the year of his XJ?

his tire size is 32x11.50 but the actual dimensions are askew from that...

XJ take 2
12-09-2010, 01:08 PM
I guess its all going to have to come down to price, if I can get a good enough discount at 4wheelingplus.com then it wont be an issue at all but if i go with RC then i will have to do some thinking

On an average how long does it take to install these lift kits, i see online it said 5-6 hours, but is that really accurate?

Mudderoy
12-09-2010, 02:09 PM
I guess its all going to have to come down to price, if I can get a good enough discount at 4wheelingplus.com then it wont be an issue at all but if i go with RC then i will have to do some thinking

On an average how long does it take to install these lift kits, i see online it said 5-6 hours, but is that really accurate?

It took two mechanics and some help from me 6 hours. It depends on several factors, one of which will be how difficult it is to get your factory bolts out.

I didn't have any problem, but mine has always been in Houston. No salt on our freeways!

XJ4IV
12-09-2010, 02:28 PM
also depends on what tools you have... like a hydraulic lift REALLY helps... when I did mine I had a fork lift so I just lifted each side off the ground to install pieces but yes it can take several hours to install a lift the right way...

msmoorenburg
12-09-2010, 02:40 PM

I did a buget lift in 4 hrs in my garage :cheerleader: but I did have airtools and 2 floor jacks

bigjim350
12-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I did my 6.5" in 8 hours, but that was with a lift and air tools.

XJ4IV
12-09-2010, 02:46 PM
I will say this... the hardest and most time consuming portion is the front springs.... best bet is undo the frame side of the trac bar AND undo the lower control arms at the axle side... but ONLY one at a time!... I can flex my jeep out on a ramp and swap out my springs in under ten minutes BOTH sides lol but thats cause I dont have limiting straps
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo167/seivey/BVORR%20November%202010/IMG_0128.jpg

msmoorenburg
12-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I will say this... the hardest and most time consuming portion is the front springs.... best bet is undo the frame side of the trac bar AND undo the lower control arms at the axle side... but ONLY one at a time!... I can flex my jeep out on a ramp and swap out my springs in under ten minutes BOTH sides lol but thats cause I dont have limiting straps
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo167/seivey/BVORR%20November%202010/IMG_0128.jpg

looks painful :D

XJ4IV
12-09-2010, 02:51 PM
nope just need a spotter to assist with spring re-insertion LOL

XJ take 2
12-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I have access to a lift, powertools, air tools, tire machine, balancer, and front end alignment station

XJ4IV
12-09-2010, 05:13 PM
I have access to a lift, powertools, air tools, tire machine, balancer, and front end alignment station

dang ... Wish I had all that stuff HERE... no offense matt just a LONG drive out there... if my jeepis outta alignment I wouldnt have tires left by the time I got out there!

prcjeep
12-09-2010, 05:16 PM
perhaps I missed it, but did anyone say what the discount code for 4wheelingplus is? I may be buying the 4.5 lift soon as well and want to run all the numbers

bluedragon436
12-10-2010, 12:59 AM
perhaps I missed it, but did anyone say what the discount code for 4wheelingplus is? I may be buying the 4.5 lift soon as well and want to run all the numbers

Send 4wheelplus (http://www.xjtalk.com/member.php?u=4) and ask him about the xjtalk discount... and he will give you the hookup..

msmoorenburg
12-10-2010, 07:00 AM
dang ... Wish I had all that stuff HERE... no offense matt just a LONG drive out there... if my jeepis outta alignment I wouldnt have tires left by the time I got out there!

No offense taken but, who can afford a hobby shop that size in the city :D

bluedragon436
12-10-2010, 07:06 AM

better question is how many people can afford that kind of hobby shop, no matter where they live??? I wish I could... maybe one day... first got to find a place of my own to start with...

XJ4IV
12-10-2010, 07:30 AM

if it werent so far for my wife to drive Id make an offer to you to put a nice house out there and live there ... ya know to watch over the place.... nobody can steal stuff if Im always out there wrenchin'

msmoorenburg
12-10-2010, 07:35 AM
if it werent so far for my wife to drive Id make an offer to you to put a nice house out there and live there ... ya know to watch over the place.... nobody can steal stuff if Im always out there wrenchin'

lol u still can u drive enuf :driving:check this place out its a lil passed the shop

http://www.peachcreekplantation.com/

XJ take 2
12-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Send 4wheelplus (http://www.xjtalk.com/member.php?u=4) and ask him about the xjtalk discount... and he will give you the hookup..

How long does it take him to reply to those emails usually?

bluedragon436
12-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Usually within a day or two at most!! I have found the easiest way to do it is when you send him a pm is to send him the PN#'s you are looking at ordering with the discount then he can also let you know what the amount would be w/ the discount..

XJ take 2
12-14-2010, 06:56 AM
Well I have the final verdict, the votes are in, I would like to thank all the contestants for playing, but the winner is........ROUGH COUNTRY

They got the win because I called them and told them that i was an xjtalk member and ended up finding that the total with shipping was cheaper with rough country, I got about 100 bucks off. No insult to 4wheelingplus it was just their shipping was more for the same discount. So i went ahead and picked up some shock boots and a steering stabilizer and Im going to put it all together within the next few weeks. :woot:

Mudderoy
12-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Well I have the final verdict, the votes are in, I would like to thank all the contestants for playing, but the winner is........ROUGH COUNTRY

They got the win because I called them and told them that i was an xjtalk member and ended up finding that the total with shipping was cheaper with rough country, I got about 100 bucks off. No insult to 4wheelingplus it was just their shipping was more for the same discount. So i went ahead and picked up some shock boots and a steering stabilizer and Im going to put it all together within the next few weeks. :woot:

Well I'm sorry that 4wheelingplus didn't get your business. Ron has always been a big help in the after sale stuff for me. Rough Country may be as well I just stick with the guy that gives me the best service first.

I find it interesting you told Rough Country about xjtalk and they didn't say "WHO?!!" :smiley-laughing021:

Please please keep us updated on your build. We love the pictures and information just like what you've been sharing already. It helps others down the road when they are making the same decisions.

I think you'll be really happy with the Rough Country equipment. :patriot:

bluedragon436
12-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Hey nothing wrong with who you get it through... we all still look forward to getting to see the progress of your build...

XJ take 2
12-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all yalls help, the anticipation is KILLING ME

Mudderoy
12-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks for all yalls help, the anticipation is KILLING ME

Have you installed it yet?!?!?! :shocker: :rotfl2:

XJ take 2
12-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Have you installed it yet?!?!?! :shocker: :rotfl2:

I live in Virginia and its in Tennessee right now, OHHHHH SO CLOSE:jumping0041:

bluedragon436
12-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Excuses, excuses!! LOL!!

prcjeep
01-25-2011, 03:38 PM
WOOOO Just bought my lift! 4.5 Rough Country! Should arrive friday!! Rene,and Matt, James, Yall down for a saturday Install??

rguignard
01-25-2011, 03:40 PM
WOOOO Just bought my lift! 4.5 Rough Country! Should arrive friday!! Rene,and Matt, James, Yall down for a saturday Install??

funny you should ask well be out at the shop :thumbsup:

prcjeep
01-25-2011, 03:42 PM
funny you should ask well be out at the shop :thumbsup:

Maybe Friday night/Saturday morning, Gotta work on Saturday night

rguignard
01-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Maybe Friday night/Saturday morning, Gotta work on Saturday night

im got something to do fri night but it will be easy for sat .........call me

bluedragon436
01-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Got to take some pics while you guys are doing the work... and before & after pics... and throw them up in a build thread prcjeep!!

bigjim350
01-25-2011, 06:24 PM
I will be there friday and saturday patrick

bluedragon436
01-25-2011, 06:25 PM
hells yes... getting one more XJ lifted on this site...

Mudderoy
01-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Sorry guys I've already rented the shop for this coming Saturday morning... :P

prcjeep
01-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Sorry guys I've already rented the shop for this coming Saturday morning... :P

:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021: FIRST COME FIRST SERVE SUCKA! lol (dont block me again please:innocent0002:)
James if your gonna be there friday Ill be there friday too... give me a call when so I know what time to be there, two eight one 638-2445

prcjeep
01-25-2011, 09:38 PM
I live in Virginia and its in Tennessee right now, OHHHHH SO CLOSE:jumping0041:

How's yours lookin?

oderdene
01-26-2011, 05:09 AM
hey guys, don't forget posting "before - process - after" photos (not a xj only, include yourselves)

prcjeep
01-27-2011, 12:01 AM
hey guys, don't forget posting "before - process - after" photos (not a xj only, include yourselves)

I put the camera in the jeep today. We always say we will take them and post up but most often forget. but we'll do our best this time

ramrod902
01-27-2011, 01:17 AM
can anyone tell me anything about this kit it say can run 37" tires thats what im wanting im not going to be doing any hard offroading or tell me if there is a similar kit out there
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110637215573&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Mudderoy
01-27-2011, 07:02 AM
can anyone tell me anything about this kit it say can run 37" tires thats what im wanting im not going to be doing any hard offroading or tell me if there is a similar kit out there
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110637215573&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Wow before you go spend that check out http://ironman4x4fab.com/ They make some amazing stuff and I don't think it will cost you as much.

The problem with 37" tires is drive line angle. You'll need a slip yoke eliminator for the transfer case.

What ever you decide to do be sure and take pictures! :thumbsup: