PDA

View Full Version : rugged ridge steering

lowrider
12-06-2010, 02:52 PM
i put a rugged ridge steering on mine to get rid of that funny shapped y design. it hooks both wheels together then the gear box comes down to the r/f outer tie rod. bump steer is gone but now it feels like the gear box is loose is this normal for this kind of steering?

bigjim350
12-06-2010, 05:47 PM
I have heard that with the rugged ridge steering there is a dead spot in the steering. Like the way you describe it. Be careful with that setup as I have read and seen a few bad pics of stuff coming loose or breaking. As long as you keep an eye on all the components and make a habit of checking to make sure all nuts are tight, you should be good to go.

Mudderoy
12-06-2010, 07:00 PM
I have heard that with the rugged ridge steering there is a dead spot in the steering. Like the way you describe it. Be careful with that setup as I have read and seen a few bad pics of stuff coming loose or breaking. As long as you keep an eye on all the components and make a habit of checking to make sure all nuts are tight, you should be good to go.

Wow! If I am understanding this problem correctly it sounds like a good reason to stay away from this set up.

bigjim350
12-06-2010, 07:15 PM
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/rugged-ridge-crossover-steering-dead-zone-problem-760658/

4.3LXJ
12-06-2010, 08:35 PM
This type of design has a phenomenon called "tie rod roll". The dead spot is the tie rod rolling one way or another. There are some poly bushings you can use to help eliminate this. This is an old design and almost identical to what I did to my CJ in the late 70s when I converted it to power steering.

ice_cold
12-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Solution, I do believe:

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1TNSTBSH&Category_Code=S6

lowrider
12-13-2010, 04:13 PM
yep i got it in the mail today. this setup took about 98% of my bump steer away

modestmar00xj
12-14-2010, 12:57 PM
awesome and now i know. thanks for the learning lession guys.

lowrider
12-16-2010, 07:54 AM
ok got the bushing put on yesturday. now it seams like i have more bump steer than i did before. what do i need to do to get back like it was before i put the bushing? do i need to put one on the other side now?

bluedragon436
12-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Well by what I have read, and what is on the thread that was linked above... they said you should install bushings on both sides....

lowrider
12-16-2010, 09:52 AM
i know jcr offroad sayes to put one on pass side. i went head and ordered 2 just in case. im gona pull it in the shop at work and put it on the alignment machine and check it out to see if its leval

4.3LXJ
12-16-2010, 10:09 AM
So you have bump steer. That means when you hit a bump, the vehicle dives to the right?

lowrider
12-16-2010, 11:43 AM
when i hit a bump it shakes the wheel violantly. just found L/F wheel bearing loose and its little over a year old out of warrenty my luck

4.3LXJ
12-16-2010, 11:56 AM
when i hit a bump it shakes the wheel violantly. just found L/F wheel bearing loose and its little over a year old out of warrenty my luck

OK, what you have is death wobble, not bump steer. The first thing to do is make sure everything is tight. Have a friend steer the wheel back and forth about 1/4 turn while you look underneath and see what moves when it shouldn't. Also look to see if the steering box responds immediately when the wheel is turned. If not adjust it and tighten it up. Then check your castor angle with an angle finder. If you are lifted on stock arms, you castor angle is off as well.

lowrider
12-16-2010, 12:31 PM
adj arms are on. steering moves when wheel is turned a little bit. im hopein that its just my wheel bearings

slvmart
03-27-2014, 10:48 AM
I've had the Rugged Ridge system for about 2 years now (Feb/2012). A couple of weeks ago, I was plowing, the linkage came loose. Fortunately, I was in my driveway, so not a problem. In any case, the initial installation instructions did not have replacement parts listed, for each specific application (model of Jeep). I did some digging and found what I thought were the correct part numbers to replace the Tie Rod link and passenger side Tie Rod (with the Drag link connection). I ordered those part numbers on Amazon, which noted that they were the correct parts for a XJ. Much to my surprise they were not. I contacted Rugged Ridge, after digging some more, and they finally sent me a graphic of the parts and the part numbers. While researching the part numbers I also came across mention of this problem that this kit does have problems of coming lose. I just ordered the Currie system. Despite the fact that is close to $500 vs. the $280 that I paid for the Rugged Ridge kit.

Better Safe than sorry ! :rant:

NW99XJ
03-27-2014, 10:50 AM
The Currie system is pure beef... I know several guys who run it, I've seen it in action, and seen it take abuse the RR one would explode under.
You will definitely be impressed, and will love the peace of mind that you will soon have one of the strongest steering systems available for the Jeep.

bluedragon436
03-27-2014, 10:51 AM
Sorry to hear about your having problems with the RR system.. I've been doing some research on them, and saw that a few folks have had similar issues with them... I know you'll love the Currie, just sucks for the amount needed for it...

slvmart
03-27-2014, 01:27 PM
At least I can return the replacement part back to Amazon. So no harm there.:bacondance: