PDA

View Full Version : Rear main seal blown =(

xjblue01
12-04-2010, 04:02 PM
well i found out that my rear main seal is blown n will run me round 700 to fix with the money i dont got lol and ive been told its a common this in jeeps .does anyone have a cheap n easier temp fix or perm fix i can do plz let me kno asap
:sad0147:

Mudderoy
12-04-2010, 04:25 PM
well i found out that my rear main seal is blown n will run me round 700 to fix with the money i dont got lol and ive been told its a common this in jeeps .does anyone have a cheap n easier temp fix or perm fix i can do plz let me kno asap
:sad0147:

I've never done it, but my understanding it takes a couple of hours.

Drop the pan. Remove the bottom part of the seal, gently tap out the part that is above the crankshaft.

Tap in the new one, put in the bottom one. Replace the gasket on the pan and put it back on.

I think total it's less than $50. Get more details on the repair that I just gave you though.

Mudderoy
12-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention. It is very common for a rear main seal leak to be misdiagnosed. Often it is the 3 "O" rings that help seal the oil filter holder to the engine block. It leaks there, and trickles down to the lowest part of the engine, where the rear main seal is.

You might be better off replacing those "O" rings first. If you don't want to mess with it just replace those and the rear main seal.

xj4life2
12-04-2010, 06:16 PM
the cheapest way as muddy said is to do it yourself , take your time and you should be fine . The seal is cheap the labor is $$$$ but $700 still is way to much . Good luck !!

xj4life2
12-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention. It is very common for a rear main seal leak to be misdiagnosed. Often it is the 3 "O" rings that help seal the oil filter holder to the engine block. It leaks there, and trickles down to the lowest part of the engine, where the rear main seal is.

You might be better off replacing those "O" rings first. If you don't want to mess with it just replace those and the rear main seal.

Good call Muddy !!! also pass side rear of valve cover can give the same look as the rear main

bigjim350
12-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Here you go http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearMain.htm Lots of good info on that site

xjblue01
12-04-2010, 08:39 PM
i appreciate it guys big time rele do only prob is since i moved to fl all my tools are back in ny lol i have some with me but prob wont be able to do the job with those lol

cantab27
12-04-2010, 10:16 PM
if i can do it anyone can ......
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2360

honesT
12-05-2010, 10:21 PM
I just finished my rear main seal last night and it took me all day from sun up to sun down, I have the hanyes manual but misread and somehow skipped a line so I had to do some running around for a gear puller and play with my jack and jackstands a few times but if you have a full day set aside I would buy the haynes manual and save all that cash!!! rear main seal list price (fel- pro) $42- I paid $20 oil pan gasket 1 peice ( FEL -PRO) list $70 I paid $32, now just add up the RTV, oil & filter. This was the 1st time I pulled an oil pan and, not so hard just really dirty job and time consuming.......

If you do decide to do it I can give you a heads up on details and save you some money and frustration :mad0090:

I`m still trying to find out how to post pic`s.

ParadiseXJ
12-06-2010, 10:26 AM
I just finished my rear main seal last night and it took me all day from sun up to sun down, I have the hanyes manual but misread and somehow skipped a line so I had to do some running around for a gear puller and play with my jack and jackstands a few times but if you have a full day set aside I would buy the haynes manual and save all that cash!!! rear main seal list price (fel- pro) $42- I paid $20 oil pan gasket 1 peice ( FEL -PRO) list $70 I paid $32, now just add up the RTV, oil & filter. This was the 1st time I pulled an oil pan and, not so hard just really dirty job and time consuming.......

If you do decide to do it I can give you a heads up on details and save you some money and frustration :mad0090:

I`m still trying to find out how to post pic`s.

My rear main seal was exactly what got me into wrenching on my own Jeep, I'm a cheap SOB and wasn't willing to pay the labor to replace a 15 dollar part. After doing the rear main (yes, it took me OVER 8 hours, but since I don't make 600 a day...) I became pretty confident that I could do just about anything on the Jeep given the time. Now I have 2 Jeeps that have never seen the inside of a shop except for smog.

Go for it.

Mudderoy
12-06-2010, 10:55 AM
My rear main seal was exactly what got me into wrenching on my own Jeep, I'm a cheap SOB and wasn't willing to pay the labor to replace a 15 dollar part. After doing the rear main (yes, it took me OVER 8 hours, but since I don't make 600 a day...) I became pretty confident that I could do just about anything on the Jeep given the time. Now I have 2 Jeeps that have never seen the inside of a shop except for smog.

Go for it.

Jeeps are extremely easy to understand, well the mechanical stuff is. The electrical including the ECM are probably pretty easy to if you have the right info and test equipment.

fivelstang4
12-16-2010, 05:32 PM
mines been dripping for a while. not enought to make me change it

PolarXJ
12-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Check out www.jeepin.com he has a good write up on the seal swap as well.