PDA

View Full Version : Towing question . . .

Primo
12-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Hey guys, I know I know its been a while! Anyway I have a question, I'm having a hard time sorting out just exactly how much weight my Jeepy can tow.
I know it has a 3379 gvw and I'm reading that my towing capacity is 5000 lbs.
So does that mean I can tow up to 5000lbs? Or do I have to have my combined weight (ie trailer and jeep) under 5000lbs?

I am looking at buying a tent trailer. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=13437290&cat=209&lpid=2&search=
The gvw on the trailer I'm looking at is 3970 lbs, so combined I would be looking at 7349 lbs and thats not counting people weight. Is that gonna be to much? Should I be looking at something lighter?

I have also read something regarding tung weight I think I saw that the XJ can handle either 300 or 500 pounds, not sure witch I really saw. However the tung weight of the trailer is 230 lbs. I have a simple understanding of all this, BUT what is the brass tax of it all???

Here is a spec sheet on the tent trailer. http://www.colemantrailers.com/niagara

Any and all knowledge you good fellers and or Ladies can give me on this will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!:confused:

XJ Rat
12-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Hey guys, I know I know its been a while! Anyway I have a question, I'm having a hard time sorting out just exactly how much weight my Jeepy can tow.
I know it has a 3379 gvw and I'm reading that my towing capacity is 5000 lbs.
So does that mean I can tow up to 5000lbs? Or do I have to have my combined weight (ie trailer and jeep) under 5000lbs?

5000# would be the max trailer weight. Tongue weight is generally 10% of the max weight.

Personally, I would insure there are trailer brakes and that they work properly. If you have an auto insure you have an aux cooler for the tranny, and not the one one the bottom of the radiator.

Primo
12-03-2010, 06:48 PM
5000# would be the max trailer weight. Tongue weight is generally 10% of the max weight.

Personally, I would insure there are trailer brakes and that they work properly. If you have an auto insure you have an aux cooler for the tranny, and not the one one the bottom of the radiator.

Thanks man I was sure that thats what it meant but wanted to be absolutely sure!!!
I fully plan on getting a aux trans cooler and I would never try to pull something heaver than my jeep with out a trailer brake!
Cheers.

4.3LXJ
12-03-2010, 08:51 PM
XJs have soft rear springs, which is why there is that low limit on tongue weight. You can add air bags for that, but if you wheel you should remove them. Or you can slip an overload leaf under your spring pack and take care of it that way, but it will affect the ride. As far as how much you can tow, a lot of that will depend on whether or not you have brakes on the trailer. I set up a brake system on my trailer and towed almost 6000# about 700 mi. But it would have been very dicey without the brake system.

cantab27
12-03-2010, 09:05 PM
hey mate this is a link to a Aussie site ,, they do heaps of big miles off road and on towing ,,, may be of some help or some good tips in there
http://go.jeep-xj.info/Trailers.htm

XJ Rat
12-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Might try a weight distribution hitch. Had a Suburban, pulled a 10K# travel trailer, the weight distribution hitch leveled it right out. Most also come with a sway control.

This is a general knowledge link.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

Nice thing with this hitch is you will not have to make any modifications to your present suspension. This is assuming it is already capable of pulling/handling the trailer weight.

On smaller Jeeps like TJ and XJ it is not the equipment that limits the trailer weight, it is the wheelbase. Ever notice Durangos and Dodge trucks have the same components, but higher ratings? It is the wheelbase.

Primo
12-04-2010, 09:38 AM
XJs have soft rear springs, which is why there is that low limit on tongue weight. You can add air bags for that, but if you wheel you should remove them. Or you can slip an overload leaf under your spring pack and take care of it that way, but it will affect the ride. As far as how much you can tow, a lot of that will depend on whether or not you have brakes on the trailer. I set up a brake system on my trailer and towed almost 6000# about 700 mi. But it would have been very dicey without the brake system.

My Jeep doesn't have stock springs, I have a hd 2'' add a leaf in the rear. It was sagging pretty bad when I got it so that was the first thing I added. air bags would def. be a nice add if needed. Thanks!

hey mate this is a link to a Aussie site ,, they do heaps of big miles off road and on towing ,,, may be of some help or some good tips in there
http://go.jeep-xj.info/Trailers.htm

Thanks Cantab

Might try a weight distribution hitch. Had a Suburban, pulled a 10K# travel trailer, the weight distribution hitch leveled it right out. Most also come with a sway control.

That is a very good suggestion, thanks!

This is a general knowledge link.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

Nice thing with this hitch is you will not have to make any modifications to your present suspension. This is assuming it is already capable of pulling/handling the trailer weight.

Thanks. your assumption is correct.

On smaller Jeeps like TJ and XJ it is not the equipment that limits the trailer weight, it is the wheelbase. Ever notice Durangos and Dodge trucks have the same components, but higher ratings? It is the wheelbase.

steph74
05-09-2011, 05:52 PM
I am shamelessly resurrecting this old tread to get more information.

We are looking at small travel trailers / tent trailers with the wife. Now we would use our Borrego to tow, but I would like to get more info on towing with the jeep for short distances... like taking it to deer camp so that I don;t have to freeze my a@@ anymore ;).

What should I do to make the jeep safe when towing a small trailer....
trailer brakes seem to be a good thing,
I have a manual transmission,
Should I consider rebolting the REAR sway bar or would it be OK towing without ?

I have a dana 35 in the rear and the jeep has quite a few miles on it already.

XJ Rat
05-10-2011, 06:32 AM
What is a Borrego?

steph74
05-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Kia Mohave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We have the 3.8L V6.... so far I like it, it is comfy, has plenty of options like 4x4 auto, 4Hi and 4Lo etc.... and most of it it has a real third row seating....
not too good on gas on the highway though but it is our family outing vehicle so that is OK

anyway ;)

LizardRunner
05-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Steph, I have a 95 manual and tow a few different trailers with it. first thing to make sure of are good springs, trailer brakes for any trailer over 3000 lbs is a good, safe idea. My boat is aluminum and under 100 lbs tounge weight so no brakes. My bike trailer is a beasty, 14x7 double axle, 500 lb tounge weight 2 7/8 ball with electric brakes. this trailer would push you without the brakes. I would also recomend upgrading your radiator to a griffin 2 row if you go with something close to my bike trailer.

hookedonxjs
05-10-2011, 01:32 PM
My Dad was a clamper and he towed his tent and scamp trailer's all over socal (mainly the desert in winter and summer) with no tranny cooler but it did have factory tow package and rusty's 3" leafs and lift in front. I had a reese hitch and towed the hell out of a tent trailer and the reese didn't reach back as far on the frame rails and some metal fatiuge took place if you do have a after market put some strap metal all the way back to farthest hole and make a nut strip to reinforce the entire area and you should be good to go.

jccatt
05-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Whats a clamper do?

4.3LXJ
05-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Whats a clamper do?

You haven't heard of these guys, but then you are from a ways away from us. Clampers are members of an organization call E Clampus Vitus. No idea what it stands for, but these guys do two things. Party and tell tall tales. I think they must hold multiple records for alcohol consumption. They are lots of fun to listen to. They also have one other passion, they preserve the history of this country. If you are looking for a good source of local history, then these are the guys to ask. They always tell it better after a few beers though.

vwfoolwhy
05-10-2011, 07:00 PM
I thought I would put my 2bits into the hat for this one.

I tow about 85% of the time with my XJ. Every thing from a few #'s on a utility trailer to my big boat at almost 7,000 #.

I pulled my pop up with no problems with only the surge brake set up. It was 3,000#'s. The XJ pulled this just fine even in the mountains. Having a 5 speed really helps.

As far as my big boat goes I do have electric brakes but would never think of taking it long distances or on the highway. You can really feel the XJ fight with towing this beast. I only use it to go a cross town all flat and less the 4 miles.

I did add the HD v8 ZJ clutch fan that helped with long distance highway towing. The rear springs have sagged greatly.

xj4life2
05-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Here's a link to the Clamper history and facts. We have one of the largest and most active clamper groups in Paradise.

E Clampus Vitus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4.3LXJ
05-10-2011, 08:10 PM
I was going to tell about this, but it is on Wikepedia now. There are a few details left out, like how the people being hoaxed were USF history professors and such, but here it is, what I learned in grade school history was just a hoax that only recently came to light by some decedents of the perpetrators.

In 1937 a plaque appeared in Northern California purporting to have been made by Sir Francis Drake during his voyage of discovery in which it was stated that he had claimed all of California for England, and that he had the authority of the claim by having been ceded the land by the local Miwok Indians. The man who was chief of the Miwoks in 1937, William Fuller, was a member of E Clampus Vitus. During an ECV meeting, he revoked the cession of land to England, and ceded it all to the United States government. The so-called Drake's Plate of Brass was accepted as authentic for forty years, yet was in actuality a hoax initiated by Dane that got out of control. It is now thought that the Fuller ceremony was part of an effort for the perpetrators to tip off the plate's finders as to its true origins.

hookedonxjs
05-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Whats a clamper do?

It's a organization that install's historical land markers, they are really E clampus vitus a non profit group and go by "clampers". I think they have chapters all over the states. They really know how to throw a feast and drink event. He did it for years and it's sad to see him gone.

hookedonxjs
05-10-2011, 10:09 PM
I am shamelessly resurrecting this old tread to get more information.

We are looking at small travel trailers / tent trailers with the wife. Now we would use our Borrego to tow, but I would like to get more info on towing with the jeep for short distances... like taking it to deer camp so that I don;t have to freeze my a@@ anymore ;).

What should I do to make the jeep safe when towing a small trailer....
trailer brakes seem to be a good thing,
I have a manual transmission,
Should I consider rebolting the REAR sway bar or would it be OK towing without ?

I have a dana 35 in the rear and the jeep has quite a few miles on it already.

Steph check out the casita and scamp trailers they are fibreglass and lite weight also. My Dad had the scamp and loved it more than his Jayco! My Mom didn't have the same feelings for it because it's so small.