PDA

View Full Version : Oil color/change idea

TheRedBull
12-01-2010, 06:17 AM
On the way home from work, I thought of an invention that's probably either not worth it, or something close has already been invented.

...-Alot of people who are REALLY mechanical-dumb [hopefully wont] let their oil that needs to be changed keep being used & used until something breaks in their vehicle.
Well, I had thought of some sort of heat resistant stain-free clear tube that the oil has to be vacuumed through the tube in which the tube is routed through the accessory lighting area; illuminated by a clear light bulb to see the color of the oil.

This could be useful for any type of driver really and the oil color can be seen when in use.

:thumbsup: ?? :thumbdown:

steph74
12-01-2010, 08:04 AM
sounds like a good idea haha
Not sure that it will do anything better than just a light in the dash that comes on when oil need to be changed at 3000 miles

XJ4IV
12-01-2010, 08:43 AM
soooo like a sight glass???
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSC4M_w9Xs4jPhjSTsWMXjJwkTGfg_0C SljwZwE7fn-7OAWguiU

steph74
12-01-2010, 09:53 AM
IMO, if you are not going to change your oil at regular intervals, you will not change it while it changes color.... most of the time I know I am due for an oil change I am just too lazy, or the oil pan collector is full and I am just too lazy or let's not forget I might be too lazy ;)

4.3LXJ
12-01-2010, 10:36 AM
It could have some benefit. I have something like that on my Atlas tcase. It is a clear plastic tube that allows you to see the oil level and color.

TheRedBull
12-01-2010, 06:56 PM
That's all true! Yea like a sight glass
For the oil level & color, yeah!
And about the 3000 miles..well I suppose you might have to have good eyes or know your oil in order to get the full work out of your oil usage. [as some oils you might get a bit more than 3000 miles and so on]