PDA

View Full Version : How high is too high

honesT
11-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Looking for some impute on lift kits, I have spent many hours researching lift kits for the XJ and want to know how high is to high for Daily driver.

My max lift would be 4.5, but depends on ride quality for D & D.

I`m looking at the Rubicon express kits and thinking of OME for shocks...

Thnaks in advance for your time and, Have a Merry Christmas :happy0171:

Mudderoy
11-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Looking for some impute on lift kits, I have spent many hours researching lift kits for the XJ and want to know how high is to high for Daily driver.

My max lift would be 4.5, but depends on ride quality for D & D.

I`m looking at the Rubicon express kits and thinking of OME for shocks...

Thnaks in advance for your time and, Have a Merry Christmas :happy0171:

I only know about my stuff. I enjoy driving my rig everyday. I hear long arms make the ride smoother, but I always say if you want a nice ride buy a Cadillac! :smiley-laughing021:

bluedragon436
12-01-2010, 04:00 AM
Well it is all up to you... I am thinking of going no higher than 6.5"... but will be running a 4.5" lift for now on my DD... I would say that if I were looking to pick up a lift kit from a good company, especially Rubicon Express... I would run a good quality shock... just my opinion I wouldn't pick up OME struts on a good quality lift... but that is just me..

4.3LXJ
12-01-2010, 11:05 AM
I am currently running 7.5" on a daily driver. But I will say that once you go above 4.5" you start having to spend money on steering components, like a high steer to keep the steering performing like a stock unit. Also, just plan on the long arms. You can get away with 3" on short arms with a good ride, but above that you need to decrease the angle on the arms to keep the ride comfortable. Also you need to pay attention to spring rates. Some kits have stiff springs and no matter what you do, you will have a rough ride on pavement. Stock front is 15#/inch. I currently run 210# up front on RE coils and the back is unknown, but close to stock. Also, a sway bar is a must with softer springs.

XJ Rat
12-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Also, think about where you wheel and where you park. Too high will limit you.

I've got a Rubicon Express 3-1/2" kit with 3/4" spacers in the front and extended shackles in the rear. Took out one leaf (the lower one) on the RE kit and that really smoothed out the ride. Run Bilstein 5150 shocks in the front and 5100 in the rear. Good ride and good performance.

Even with 32" tires, getting in and out is not the easiest.

modestmar00xj
12-01-2010, 05:23 PM
im running a 6.5 inch rough country lift and thats my daily driver and i enjoy it!

honesT
12-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Well it is all up to you... I am thinking of going no higher than 6.5"... but will be running a 4.5" lift for now on my DD... I would say that if I were looking to pick up a lift kit from a good company, especially Rubicon Express... I would run a good quality shock... just my opinion I wouldn't pick up OME struts on a good quality lift... but that is just me..

Thanks for the imput, I`m guessing you read my post to fast when I stated OME shocks ( Old Man Emu ) not OEM ?

96xj
12-02-2010, 06:39 PM
i got the R/C 6.5 on 35/12.50/15 , also got the control arm drop bracket and SYE i love it but i let you know what 9" lift feels like some time next week .
also if your going with RE lift why not got their shocks ?

honesT
12-10-2010, 02:06 PM
I`ve read that anything over 4 inched needs long arms or your rig will have more chances of a tip and roll.

4.3LXJ
12-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Long or short arms do not affect roll. There are a couple of things that do. One is overall height and width. In theory, if your height only goes up by increase in width then the roll angle is unchanged. The other is spring rate and sway bars. Softer springs are nice, but the more the vehicle rolls in a corner or on a side hill the more the center of gravity shifts to the outside.

bluedragon436
12-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the imput, I`m guessing you read my post to fast when I stated OME shocks ( Old Man Emu ) not OEM ?

i got the R/C 6.5 on 35/12.50/15 , also got the control arm drop bracket and SYE i love it but i let you know what 9" lift feels like some time next week .

Hey honesT... ^^^ This is what I was getting at when I made my statement... I didn't read you post too fast.... I know you said OME.... they are better than stock shocks.. but not nearly as good as the RE shocks IMHO!! That is all I was saying was if you were going to fork out the money for a good kit like RE's kits... why not fork out the money on good shocks like ones that are setup for the kit from RE!!

modestmar00xj
12-13-2010, 10:17 AM

yeah nice set-up! i have pritty much the same thing. And im thinking about using 2" inch blocks and spacers.

Mudderoy
12-13-2010, 10:51 AM
I thought blocks were a big no no for the relatively weak XJ leaf springs. Spring wrap under heavy load. Read drive shaft failure for example.

4.3LXJ
12-13-2010, 05:45 PM
I thought blocks were a big no no for the relatively weak XJ leaf springs. Spring wrap under heavy load. Read drive shaft failure for example.

Many of the aftermarket springs will work OK with blocks because they are a heavier spring. Depends on the design though. You probably don't want to use a block on a spring with a flat leaf on the bottom.

Xtreme XJ
12-27-2010, 01:36 AM
Hey honesT... ^^^ This is what I was getting at when I made my statement... I didn't read you post too fast.... I know you said OME.... they are better than stock shocks.. but not nearly as good as the RE shocks IMHO!! That is all I was saying was if you were going to fork out the money for a good kit like RE's kits... why not fork out the money on good shocks like ones that are setup for the kit from RE!!

I've had many different shocks on several rigs... I was never impressed much with any except the Rancho RS9000 AND the OME shocks... even the ones that came with my R.E. lift (admittedly not the upgraded ones).
I've suggested them to a few friends and all were very happy with the ride & noticed a difference right away...
My well seasoned 96 XJ rides better than my lifted 01 F-1 with Bilsteins (which were "supposedly designed for that lift on that truck").
I'd put OME shocks up against almost any shock out there... in that catagory.

Curt

LizardRunner
01-07-2011, 01:55 PM
ok, seems everything has been said about how high. I plan on a claytons 4.5 long arm lift kit and may go with their coil rear setup at the same time. the three shocks I like are the Rancho, OME and Bilstein. Some I've talked to don't like the Rancho "to stiff" they say. I had Rancho's on my truck and they did just fine. the clayton kit I'm going to get has the new shocks with it.

4.3LXJ
01-07-2011, 02:41 PM
ok, seems everything has been said about how high. I plan on a claytons 4.5 long arm lift kit and may go with their coil rear setup at the same time. the three shocks I like are the Rancho, OME and Bilstein. Some I've talked to don't like the Rancho "to stiff" they say. I had Rancho's on my truck and they did just fine. the clayton kit I'm going to get has the new shocks with it.

The Rancho RS5000 is too stiff. The 9000 are not. There is a world of difference between the two.

PolarXJ
01-07-2011, 03:22 PM
I got the 5.5 XD (short arm with the drop bracket supports) from RE with their mono shocks, and have really loved it. My BIL went with the 4.5 from RE and has now upgraded to 5.5 RE spring but because of some custom work on his front axle he now had about 7" of lift. Be advise, you will get more lift at first with the RE set ups and will sag some. The sagging varies from people to people and how are the wheel their rig. Also, a side note. Check with your local laws, I would had to put all that on and have it illegal. Especially if its going to be a DD. BTW, I felt safer in my 5.5 lift then the 3" lift that was on my XJ when I bought it and would drive it as a DD. One thing I would suggest if you go with RE, get the adjustable arms, UCA and LCA. Also suggest this http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/XJ/Product.aspx?folder=XJTB&part=RE1670

bakerwheelerz
01-08-2011, 11:55 PM
i am running rustys long arm and about 10" to 12" lift and 39.5/13.5/17 tire and 3/4 ton axels on my daly and love it other than the gas mileage