PDA

View Full Version : To Sway Bar or not to Sway Bar

4x4Dalton
11-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Hey gang was talkin bout this in chat and I need to know for sure. Can I run XJ without Sway Bar completely and will it mess the handling and/or ride up at all? Would help me on trails I know so if it is possible to run without totally I will take it loose. Thanks for any incoming info on this subject.
Bear

Firemanray
11-30-2010, 10:32 PM
I just eliminated both of mine last week. The difference is awesome. I live on a real curvey road and I haven't seen any ill effects from it yet.

Disclaimer: I do not recommend any changes or modifications to any vehical. This includes but is not limited to, wheels other than stock, tires larger than original equipment, any mod to the suspension (lifting, lowering, etc.),......:rotfl2::rotfl2:

steph74
11-30-2010, 10:38 PM
hey bear read that one carefully ;)
(by the way in Utah it won;t pass inspection without I don;t know anywhere else)

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/No_Front_Swaybar.htm

bigjim350
11-30-2010, 10:45 PM
I don't have a front sway bar on mine. However me and Firemanray have aftermarket lift springs which are a little stiffer. If you take your sway bar loose on stock springs, you will have a lot more body roll in the corners. It usually isn't a problem on a lower rig, except for evasive maneuver situations.

bluedragon436
12-01-2010, 03:56 AM
I would say that it is fine to get rid of your rear sway bar, as there are some XJ's that didn't come from the factory with the rear sway bar.. As far as the front... I wouldn't take it off, I would just pick up a set of disco for that... but that is all personal choice on that one..

rguignard
12-01-2010, 06:19 AM
hey bear i took mine off (the front one and rear one )when stock and it work fine and i still dont run one with my 3.5 rc lift just be carefull and remember its not a race car .

msmoorenburg
12-01-2010, 07:00 AM
hey bear i took mine off (the front one and rear one )when stock and it work fine and i still dont run one with my 3.5 rc lift just be carefull and remember its not a race car .

That's why i still have mine :driving: I like to cut a rut and my go fast car isn't done yet

modestmar00xj
12-01-2010, 01:58 PM
thats a good question! i here you dont need the rear sway bar so im gunna take mine off, and in the front i use quick disco's and everything working great.

nomoneysonny
01-14-2011, 02:33 PM
i broke the swaybar links when i did an axle swap. rides crappy in the wind on the highway. this is at stock height with 134k mile springs. theres a youtube video of a guy with wingnuts on his swaybar links. kind of a poor mans disconnect.

nomoneysonny
01-14-2011, 02:35 PM
found the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUOZ33JsnxI

4.3LXJ
01-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Hey Bear, the answer is yes and no. Aside from inspection problems, it is a matter of handling. If you have a soft suspension, don't take it off or you may have a safety issue. Remember the Consumer Report avoidance test where they change lanes rapidly. You could roll an XJ with a soft suspension without the sway bar. However if you have higher spring rates, they yes you can get away with it.

LizardRunner
01-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Currie makes a nice swaybar kit for the front of XJ's with over 4.5" lifts. Now seems to me that if the good Currie folks bother to make a kit for having a swaybar that you don't have to disconnect, it's probably a very good idea to have one. As for the rear, I think that could be personal choice. Most cars don't come with one and a lot of XJ's didn't come with a rear anti-sway bar so it most likely isn't needed, but is nice. MY tow package has one on the rear. I'm very into no body roll if I don't have to have it myself.

OrangeXJ
01-14-2011, 05:23 PM
My 2 cents on this subject is get rid of the rear one and get disc's for the front. I have read on several other forums where doing a evasive move to avoid an accident caused a roll over. I'd keep the front one for daily driving and disconect it when wheelin.

nomoneysonny
01-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Come to think of it, my ride quality might have been bad (or worsened) due to the fact that I had the rear Connected and the front Disconnected.

xjrev10
01-17-2011, 12:30 PM
I have over 30k on my 2000 swaybar delete. 3.5 RE with 31s. Had it all over the Midwest and out as far as Wyoming.

cherokeeaddiction
01-18-2011, 05:36 PM
im not running a front or rear swaybar either, its cause i broke one of my quick disconnects the other day playing in the snow:) but it doesnt handle that bad, far better than i thought it would, except now my jeep leans to the passenger side, it didnt do that with the front swaybar connected

cantab27
01-18-2011, 08:00 PM
yep mine front ones gone ,,, drives better on the road me thinks //

Mudderoy
01-18-2011, 10:11 PM
im not running a front or rear swaybar either, its cause i broke one of my quick disconnects the other day playing in the snow:) but it doesnt handle that bad, far better than i thought it would, except now my jeep leans to the passenger side, it didnt do that with the front swaybar connected

Hey can you show and tell me a little more about that light roof rack?

phillyxj570
01-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Not to sway bar. I haven't used either of mine in about six months. I hooked the front up the other day for inspection and could not tell the difference.

tom tom
01-20-2011, 11:56 AM
I don't run a front or rear sway bar and have no problems what so ever . But my springs are real stiff . The true answer to your question would depend on you and what you prefer and what kind of mods you have.

4x4Dalton
01-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks everyone on their feedback on this issue. I will be takin rear off soon and that will be the only one for now until lift is on.

xj4life2
01-21-2011, 07:47 PM
I run a front only with the disco's haven't had a rear in six years and never missed it.

PolarXJ
01-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Thats how I'm set up. Stiffer springs or not, the sway bar will help you get control of your vehicle quicker after a quick steering maneuver.

03ghosthemi
01-29-2011, 12:05 PM
On my 95 with 3in Exp Pro comp lift I ran no front or rear sway bar (stiff springs) and never noticed it was unhooked. On my 98 with 6.5in long arm kit without the front hooked up the body tips all over the place and is anoying to drive onroad like that. So it depends on your suspension setup.

Bill