PDA

View Full Version : Front sway bar

steph74
11-30-2010, 12:23 PM
In my slow quest to learn and tame the beast, I have come down to the front sway bar....
other than the fact that it is all rusted and I am scared to try to unbolt it and break something, I have decided to inspoect it closely and learn about it more (yes one piece at a time)

Now I came up with a few question that I think should be shared on this forum.

If i grab the bar with the vehicle on the ground, I can move the bar sideway about 1/2 inch. I see it sliding into the 2 "tunnel" bushings.
question 1/ is it a normal play or should I replace the bushings (I can see a couple of cracks in it)

Question 2/ any particular bushing > Is there a benefit with the so-called performance ones >

Question 3/ what size TORX bolt is it on the link ;)

Mudderoy
11-30-2010, 12:52 PM
In my slow quest to learn and tame the beast, I have come down to the front sway bar....
other than the fact that it is all rusted and I am scared to try to unbolt it and break something, I have decided to inspoect it closely and learn about it more (yes one piece at a time)

Now I came up with a few question that I think should be shared on this forum.

If i grab the bar with the vehicle on the ground, I can move the bar sideway about 1/2 inch. I see it sliding into the 2 "tunnel" bushings.
question 1/ is it a normal play or should I replace the bushings (I can see a couple of cracks in it)

Question 2/ any particular bushing > Is there a benefit with the so-called performance ones >

Question 3/ what size TORX bolt is it on the link ;)

The bushings (Moog) are cheap, replace them! My 98 didn't have torx. The bushings have slots cut into them. Mine 160k+ miles were mushed and cracked. I didn't notice any difference after replacing them, I just did it because I was changing out everything else on the front end.

bigjim350
11-30-2010, 02:00 PM
The torx size is a T-55. You really won't notice much difference in replacing the sway bar bushings, unless you do alot of high speed turns. You will however notice a lot more flex offroad if you use disconnects on your sway bar.

steph74
11-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks well I guess i will measure the sway bar tonight and get a set of bushings.... I rather not take risks with suspension and steering stuff.
As for the disconnects, yes I might get to that one day I am following a couple of thread with home made disco for now because well let's face it, i am not ready to spend money on a quick disco kit when i have a bastard pack lol.... that will come with money and a proper lift set up