PDA

View Full Version : so which axle is best to get???

XJ4IV
11-29-2010, 11:42 PM
I plan on making the change this winter on the rear axle of the XJ and I was wondering which is my best deal to get... and here are my ONLY options right now so lets please stick to these options as I have no need to buy rockwells or D60's

1) Ford 8.8 from an explorer

Pros:
easier to get that higher 4:10 gearing
Disc brakes
SAME lug pattern
obviously stronger than 35
Cons:
the width is shorter than factory XJ (but I have one inch spacers already)
need to shave it and make it SPOA and new brackets for shocks
HAVE to immediately regear front axle.

2) Chrysler 8.25 later model issue

Pros:
DIRECT bolt in
Stronger than 35
same width as 35
Fairly easy to find at junkyards
Cons:
Not as strong as d44 or the ford 8.8
... thats about it that I can think of...

3) D44 from either a wagoneer or a Rodeo

Pros:
VERY strong upgrade
makes nice mating with waggy front d44
Cons:
has 6 lug pattern=new wheels
have to shave down the axle to make for a SPOA
Please anyone with experience int these upgrades let me know which is my best bet.. I dont mind doing the labor for upping the rear axle but I really dont wanna have to swap the front if I dont absolutely have to... regearing is fine but the bracketry is a PITA.
Any pics and writeups would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance guys

bigjim350
11-29-2010, 11:49 PM
I would go with the 8.8. You can easily find them with factory posi. And you can find plenty of them in 3.55, 3.73, or 4.10. But if you wanna go the easy route, just get the 29 spline 8.25, its plenty strong enough.

JENSSEN
11-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Isn't the later 8.8 with disk breaks wider than the drum version?

msmoorenburg
11-30-2010, 06:37 AM
I plan on making the change this winter on the rear axle of the XJ and I was wondering which is my best deal to get... and here are my ONLY options right now so lets please stick to these options as I have no need to buy rockwells or D60's

Pros:
Disc brakes
SAME lug pattern
Cons:

Pros:
DIRECT bolt in
Stronger than 35
same width as 35
Cons:

Pros:
VERY strong upgrade
Cons:
Please anyone with experience int these upgrades let me know which is my best bet.. I dont mind doing the labor for upping the rear axle but I really dont wanna have to swap the front if I dont absolutely have to... regearing is fine but the bracketry is a PITA.
Thanks in advance guys

For the right price i know where a 8.25 is sitting in a XJ that could be had :shocker:

XJ4IV
11-30-2010, 07:40 AM
For the right price i know where a 8.25 is sitting in a XJ that could be had :shocker:
Is it a post 96? I've heard earlier years were just as weak as d35 .

XJ4IV
11-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Any word on the 8.8, I plan on getting the disc brakes so this would be best, according to a pic I have the ford. Is slightly larger than the d44,is this true... well does that mean stronger?

Mudderoy
11-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Any word on the 8.8, I plan on getting the disc brakes so this would be best, according to a pic I have the ford. Is slightly larger than the d44,is this true... well does that mean stronger?

No interest in the Ford 9 inch?

modestmar00xj
11-30-2010, 04:34 PM

Pros:
Disc brakes
SAME lug pattern
Cons:

Pros:
DIRECT bolt in
Stronger than 35
same width as 35
Cons:

Pros:
VERY strong upgrade
Cons:
Thanks in advance guys

Awesome man i had the same question! but i dont mind keeping my c8.25 but its nice to see what upgrades you can get upgrading!

bigjim350
11-30-2010, 05:58 PM
No interest in the Ford 9 inch?

Most 9" Ford rear ends would have to be narrowed.

XJ4IV
11-30-2010, 06:26 PM
What vehicle houses the ford 9"... And is there a solid front axle to match? cause I really dont mind the wide track I just couldnt find a nice pair except for the waggy which is apparently a UNICORN at a junkyard...

bigjim350
11-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Late 70's Ford Bronco or F150 have a nice HP Dana44/9" combo in them. Its also a driver side drop.

ice_cold
11-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Ford 9 inch from a Lincoln Versailles ( dressed up Granada) has a disc brake rear and its the same width as the XJ's...well real close. The Ford one is 58.5, rotor to rotor.

bluedragon436
11-30-2010, 10:31 PM
It mainly depends on what you are looking for.... the easiest to bolt in, the best in the end or what?? As far as easiest to bolt in... I would go with the Ch 8.25, because it is pretty stout on its own, but it does have quite a bit of aftermarket following... The Ford 8.8 is a fairly easy to mod for install axle, and you can get it with disc brakes already, and with a factory limited slip setup.... and from all the die hard Xj folks that I have talked to over the two years I have been researchign... they have all said for hte money you are better off just upgrading to discs, and grabbing a lunchbox locker for the Ch 8.25... both of which can be had for about the same price you would spend for the 8.8 swap... now if you get the 29spline 8.25 it is worth teh money and ready to bolt in... if you get the 27 spline it is also ready to bolt in... bt it is not as strong as the 29 spline is... someone can correct me if I am wrong..

XJ4IV
11-30-2010, 11:30 PM
AWESOME this is the input I need to see... now of these beauties turned BEAST which one has springs on TOP of the axle...
Also I dont mind going widercause I LOVE the wider stance but I wanna get matching ones meaning driver drop front and same width and gear ratio.
Also
ANYONE WHO KNOWS THE ACTUAL WIDTH MOUNTING SURFACE TO MOUNTING SURFACE OF THE WIDE TRACK WAGGY AXLES PLEASE POST THOSE MEASURMENTS...Id look for em myself but like I said DAMN unicorn!!!
This is the stance Id LOVE to achieve
http://0.tqn.com/d/4wheeldrive/1/0/c/L/1/Gary_IN_90JeeoXJ_3RR.jpg

XJ4IV
12-01-2010, 12:41 AM
http://www.4x4grace.com/Coppermine/albums/userpics/10027/normal_Harlan_012007_31.jpg
here is what kind of wheelin I do...
http://www.latechsupport.net/Offroad/Videos/Gilmer/DeWoody%20-%20Trevor.wmv

dana 60 front n rear
http://i32.tinypic.com/jug58l.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/2vmaah0.jpg

bluedragon436
12-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Those are def. a nice stance... I think if I do go to upgrade my axles... I would be looking to pick up the D44/9" from a late 70's Ford pickup...

XJ4IV
12-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Those are def. a nice stance... I think if I do go to upgrade my axles... I would be looking to pick up the D44/9" from a late 70's Ford pickup...
if I can find one locally at a JY I would most likely go this route as d60's make me NEED to swing 37's... those cost more money BUT at least im in the market for rubber too!!! wonder if I should switch to 17 wheels

bigjim350
12-06-2010, 12:27 PM
If your still interested in a waggy D44, there is a guy on houston craigslist parting out 2 J10's and one Waggy.
http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/2095511782.html

XJ4IV
12-06-2010, 01:11 PM
If your still interested in a waggy D44, there is a guy on houston craigslist parting out 2 J10's and one Waggy.
http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/2095511782.html
Sweet, thanks for lookin out man. Called him n left message.

nismo5
12-08-2010, 10:43 AM
if I can find one locally at a JY I would most likely go this route as d60's make me NEED to swing 37's... those cost more money BUT at least im in the market for rubber too!!! wonder if I should switch to 17 wheels

def right if you went 60's you would have to run 37's or larger imo because of ground clearance my buddy's xj with a 44 front and 60 rear on 35's only has 9 5/8" ground clearance to the bottom of the diff in the rear and my xj with d30 front xj 44 rear on 33's has 10 1/4" ground clearance to the rear diff

just fyi:)

modestmar00xj
12-08-2010, 02:40 PM
def right if you went 60's you would have to run 37's or larger imo because of ground clearance my buddy's xj with a 44 front and 60 rear on 35's only has 9 5/8" ground clearance to the bottom of the diff in the rear and my xj with d30 front xj 44 rear on 33's has 10 1/4" ground clearance to the rear diff

just fyi:)

Good call Nismo! i was thinking about going with d60's but i didnt consider the ground clearence. I have 35" and no way im going 37'' too much money!