PDA

View Full Version : greasing

steph74
11-29-2010, 02:09 PM
I was just wondering if there is a proper way to grease....
I have never done that before so I just assumed you just have to fit the "nipple" with your grease gun and pump until grease start oozing from somewhere.
Is that the best way ? If not what is the recommended / proper / most used way to do it.

May sound like a silly question, but when I did this last time, it popped the grease / dust boot (tie-rod end) and I am not sure this is supposed to happen.

Any advice ?

Mudderoy
11-29-2010, 02:35 PM
I was just wondering if there is a proper way to grease....
I have never done that before so I just assumed you just have to fit the "nipple" with your grease gun and pump until grease start oozing from somewhere.
Is that the best way ? If not what is the recommended / proper / most used way to do it.

May sound like a silly question, but when I did this last time, it popped the grease / dust boot (tie-rod end) and I am not sure this is supposed to happen.

Any advice ?

I've done this too, but I've never actually KNOWN what the right way to do it is. Good question!

bigjim350
11-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Thats the way I have always done it.

msmoorenburg
11-29-2010, 02:57 PM
I usually go till I see the boot move.

steph74
11-29-2010, 02:58 PM
this is the intuitive way I agree but is that the right way ? lol

So and what about the other parts that don;t have boot ? Like calipers and U-joints... stop when it start getting out ?
I am not too concerned, I just got puzzled for a minute and now I want to know lol

I guess the question is how much you pump in....
I have read the "snorkel thread" where someone said that you basically chase the water from bearings and stuff

Firemanray
11-29-2010, 03:37 PM
After I go mudd'n I pump grease until I see clean grease coming out. Helps purge the gunk out of the joint.

4.3LXJ
11-29-2010, 07:16 PM
There is no 100%right way. Some tie rod end boots just sit on the top and do not actually seal. These are OK to pop and should be when greasing since they don't seal anyway. But the seal on the frame end of the track bar actually seals. This one won't need but maybe one greasing in a life of a rig as long as the seal is intact and just bulged a little. There are some that say that u joint seals should never be popped. But I always have when greasing. If you get any water in there it needs to be displaced.

steph74
11-29-2010, 08:47 PM
so in this case what kind of grease is commonly used ? or is there different types of grease depending on the application ?
I am thinking marine grease for water application, does it make sense ?

4.3LXJ
11-29-2010, 08:54 PM
so in this case what kind of grease is commonly used ? or is there different types of grease depending on the application ?
I am thinking marine grease for water application, does it make sense ?

Marine grease would be good, but Amsoil makes a synthetic waterproof grease that is supposed to be usable when the parts themselves are in water. Kind of spendy though

cantab27
11-29-2010, 09:24 PM
yep i do as has been said above,,

steph74
11-29-2010, 09:26 PM
and as far as regular use ?
I think I have bought something at Walmart lithium I think

4.3LXJ
11-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Lithium grease is good grease. I have used it off and on for a long time.

steph74
11-29-2010, 09:37 PM
So I guess I am all set then ;)
thanks all for the tips

Firemanray
11-29-2010, 10:57 PM
There is a grease called "triple guard" available at Evinrude outboard motor dealers. That stuff is awesome in a wet environment.