PDA

View Full Version : Brake light whoas!!!

Mikentucky72
11-28-2010, 12:37 AM
I recently found out my brake lights on the right and left of my XJ were not working, while the one on top of my liftgate still would illuminate. I checked the bulbs and both duel filament bulbs looked intact. The tailight filaments still lit up fine. Could this be a bad brakelight switch? If so why does the third brake light fire up just fine? Kinda stumped here folks, any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
Mikentucky

Mudderoy
11-28-2010, 01:49 AM
I recently found out my brake lights on the right and left of my XJ were not working, while the one on top of my liftgate still would illuminate. I checked the bulbs and both duel filament bulbs looked intact. The tailight filaments still lit up fine. Could this be a bad brakelight switch? If so why does the third brake light fire up just fine? Kinda stumped here folks, any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
Mikentucky

You didn't mention fuse(s). What about relays?

bigjim350
11-28-2010, 02:22 AM
If you have cruise control, it is easy to check the brakelight switch. If you set your cruise, and it disengages when you hit the brakes, then your switch is good. However since your third brake light is working, I don't think it is the switch. I am not real familar with the wiring on Jeeps yet, but I had the same problem on a couple of Chevy's. On them it turned out to be the multi function switch (turn signal switch/lever).

Mudderoy
11-28-2010, 03:14 AM
If you have cruise control, it is easy to check the brakelight switch. If you set your cruise, and it disengages when you hit the brakes, then your switch is good. However since your third brake light is working, I don't think it is the switch. I am not real familar with the wiring on Jeeps yet, but I had the same problem on a couple of Chevy's. On them it turned out to be the multi function switch (turn signal switch/lever).

Or if you have a RPM gauge you can see the torque converter lock and unlock with a tap of the brakes...

BlueXJ
11-28-2010, 08:15 AM
If it is easy to get out of Park then your switch is probably good.

Mudderoy
11-28-2010, 08:16 AM
If it is easy to get out of Park then your switch is probably good.

lol of course.

JENSSEN
11-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Check the ground on the harness, try splicing in and adding a confirmed good ground

Mikentucky72
11-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the tips fella's. One of my problems is I don't have a clue what fuses go for what on the inside kick panel, having bought the xj sans owners manuel. I did pull every fuse and check them and none were blown. The same with the ones under the hood as well. My second problem is that I am electronicly challenged and have no idea how to check said harness or it's ground. Come to mention it , I have noticed a slight shock zap when I exit the vehicle and touch the doors metal. I thought this could be cause of broken speaker wires on my drivers side(front and rear). This is a project I hoped to tackle in the future. Where on the harness should I look for a faulty ground? Does this involve taken my only vehicle apart on saturday and hope I can fix it by sunday? Thanx

Mikentucky72
11-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Thank's for all the great advice I have received from this wonderful site. This site is one of the reasons I bought my fixer upper. Is there a thank you button I can push to thank all the members who have helped me out? Mikentucky72

Mudderoy
11-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Thank's for all the great advice I have received from this wonderful site. This site is one of the reasons I bought my fixer upper. Is there a thank you button I can push to thank all the members who have helped me out? Mikentucky72

lol no mass thank you button, the words are great though.

Sometimes when I'm too lazy to look up the specific fuse I just pull all of them and check. I know takes longer than looking up and pulling the right one.

bigjim350
11-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Hope this helps. Its for a 2000 Cherokee
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/498535/fullsize/fusejunction.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/498536/fullsize/fusepanel.jpg

Mikentucky72
11-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Beautiful! Thanx BigJim, I'm gonna copy this and tape it inside my kickpanel.

bluedragon436
11-29-2010, 02:48 AM
I would def. have to say that it sounds to me like you have a ground issue near the lower rear of you Jeep.... I will have to see if I can find a wiring diagram... but I know I have worked on a few Blazers and Explorers, that their wiring for the tail lights all came to the back as one harness, then split over to the other side, and at the same junction the split went up for the third tail light... there was one ground at the junction for the two main tail lights, and up at the third tail light there was another ground for it... so I am wondering if the Jeep has the same thing where it has a main ground for the main tail lights at one point.....

Mikentucky72
11-29-2010, 09:38 PM
I am gonna crawl under her during an oil change this weekend and have a good look around. Hopefully it shall present itself in a nice easy spot to fix. RIGHT! Thanks for the help kind sir.

Mudderoy
11-30-2010, 12:40 AM
I am gonna crawl under her during an oil change this weekend and have a good look around. Hopefully it shall present itself in a nice easy spot to fix. RIGHT! Thanks for the help kind sir.

woohoo mike has 10 posts. :patriot:

ice_cold
11-30-2010, 07:34 PM
By any chance do you have trailer wiring, and hitch?

Mikentucky72
12-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Negative on the hitch and trailer wiring. I just bought a multi-meter, as soon as I learn to use it I am gonna chase this problem down dangit. I got pulled over for this the other night. The cop was not sympathetic to my plight and wrote me a fixit ticket. Now that's motivation for hunting this problem down and whooping its behind. By the way I had no luck finding the ground issue last weekend :(