PDA

View Full Version : radiator flush

cantab27
11-27-2010, 01:40 PM
hey all ,, whats the best way to flush the radiater out and is there prouducts you can buy to help with the flushing ....cheers :thumbsup:

steph74
11-27-2010, 01:45 PM
what year is your jeep ? I am assuming you have the open radiator system ?

Here is the US they sell a small system that once you drain the coolant, you can flush it easily with a water hose .... never used it but you may want to look into that too....

it is called the flush N fill kit (I don;t know if you can find that or something similar on your part of the globe)
http://www.prestone.com/products/car_care/accessories/product_list?select_region=1

cantab27
11-27-2010, 01:50 PM
cheers steph ,,, its a 95 ...... think i can find stuff like that down here ...

steph74
11-27-2010, 01:52 PM
have fun I want to do mine and change the thermostat and maybe water pump but it is the closed system and such a PITA to do that I'll wait lol

modestmar00xj
11-30-2010, 11:09 AM
so all i need to do to flush my raditator out is open the drain plug at the bottom and put a water hose in the top!? and should the car be off or on?

steph74
11-30-2010, 11:18 AM
I think you have the open system.
I am not sure about the car on or off

This is copied from another forum I can;t remember which one (I have a note pad with quotes like this lol)

Flushing the radiator yourself works best if you drain the system by pulling the large lower hose over a good size flat pan. Once drained, remove thermostat housing and thermostat, stick a garden hose inside the head and with the vehicle slightly downhill, run fresh water until it's clear. I actually start the engine with the garden hose flow and still in the head for a few seconds to better flush the pump. Just be sure the hose doesn't catch on the mech fan.

Let drain, reassemble and refill with coolant and distilled water. The stock drain isn't gonna allow any large chunks of crud out of the system and it takes forever but the lower hose opening is large enough to pass the junk out quickly.

ParadiseXJ
12-01-2010, 01:33 PM
I think you have the open system.
I am not sure about the car on or off
...it takes forever but the lower hose opening is large enough to pass the junk out quickly.

...not to mention that the drain (petcock) will likely break off if you "touch" it.

For lack of chemical flushing treatments you can use straight vinegar in your cooling system. Let it circulate, drain again, fresh water, drain, coolant mix. Button it up and you're off.

91+ has open system.

Punisher
12-01-2010, 11:14 PM
I have this flush and fill on my jeep and the best way to flush it out is to run the engine as you want it hot enought to break up the the gunk and have that thermostat to open too... I run mine for about 15-20 mins then shut down the motor and drain out all the water from the drain plug on the bottm of the radiator then fill it up with new coolant...

modestmar00xj
12-02-2010, 12:57 AM
cool thanks guys ill give it a shot!