PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 exhaust system with stock manifild

honesT
11-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Hi, I`m new here & to the jeep world...
I own a 1996 XJ and have bought a used highflow exhaust system from bottom of manifold flange to tail pipe off a 91 xj that had a stroker engine...

My question is can I just bolt this on to my stock manifold or is the 2.5 pipe to wide and won`t give proper back pressure. My stock front pipe is 2 inches outside diameter for the 1st 20 inches then expandes to 2.5 inches outside diameter for the rest of the length.

4.0L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO" (High Output) - 190 hp @ 4750 rpm, 220 ft lb @ 4,000 rpm - used in 91-95 and updated in 96-01 to 225 ft lb torque @ 3000 rpm

bigjim350
11-26-2010, 08:28 PM
As long as the exhaust system has a muffler and a cat converter, you shouldn't lose much back pressure. Atleast not enough to notice.

bluedragon436
11-26-2010, 11:51 PM
I am running a 2.5" flowmaster setup.. and am having absolutely no issues with it... it runs like a champ... even notice a little bit more get up and go... grated mine is a 98... but the setup and tunnels are the same... and the Magnaflow supposedly gives a better HP & MPG over any other setup... but as Jim said... just make sure you have a cat, whether it be a factory cat or a high flow... otherwise you will loose too much back pressure...

honesT
11-27-2010, 10:54 PM
I am running a 2.5" flowmaster setup.. and am having absolutely no issues with it... it runs like a champ... even notice a little bit more get up and go... grated mine is a 98... but the setup and tunnels are the same... and the Magnaflow supposedly gives a better HP & MPG over any other setup... but as Jim said... just make sure you have a cat, whether it be a factory cat or a high flow... otherwise you will loose too much back pressure...

Just 1 question, Do you have headers or are you using the stock mainfold and attached the 2.5 from there or did you start at the cat for the high flow?

Thanks for taking the time to reply :thumbsup:

honesT
11-27-2010, 10:54 PM
This is reply I got from another forum : Any changes in exhaust size will affect torque/horsepower regardless of stock manifold or header. A larger free flowing exhaust will give you more top end horsepower while a smaller restrictive exhaust increase the torque on the low end of the RPM range. The question really is how do you drive it? If it is a trail beast then stay with the smaller one, if it is a highway cruiser go with the larger one. If it pulls dual duty and you're not out rock crawling the larger one will probably work for you just fine. It's all about what you need it to do.

bigjim350
11-28-2010, 12:06 AM
This is reply I got from another forum : Any changes in exhaust size will affect torque/horsepower regardless of stock manifold or header. A larger free flowing exhaust will give you more top end horsepower while a smaller restrictive exhaust increase the torque on the low end of the RPM range. The question really is how do you drive it? If it is a trail beast then stay with the smaller one, if it is a highway cruiser go with the larger one. If it pulls dual duty and you're not out rock crawling the larger one will probably work for you just fine. It's all about what you need it to do.

I run a very free flowing exhaust on mine. Stock manifold, 2.5" pipe to a slp loudmouth (which is almost no muffler at all) and a 2.5" tailpipe, I have no cat. I didn't notice any lose or gain in performance, just louder. I still have plenty of torque. I can smoke the hell out of my 33's with the stock 3.55 gears.

pyrotech
12-07-2010, 12:18 AM
I too have a 2.50" system on my rig from the header outlet thru a magna flow hiflow cat. thru a flomaster 60 series muffler and out at the bumper I love mine and I have even picked up a few mpgs when I can keep my big foot out of it as far as torque goes I have 254,000 on my od and can still mat the pedal from dead stop and smoke my 31x10.50x15firestones till they pop!

bluedragon436
12-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Just 1 question, Do you have headers or are you using the stock mainfold and attached the 2.5 from there or did you start at the cat for the high flow?

Thanks for taking the time to reply :thumbsup:

I am running stock everything up to the end of the cat... then I hooked the 2.5" setup I have from there back to the tail pipe.... Eventually I plan on getting a header and high flow cat... but I got other more important things I want first...