PDA

View Full Version : Why did jeep stop making the base model Jeep Cherokee Sport edition?

Mudderoy
11-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Why did jeep stop making the base model Jeep Cherokee Sport edition?

Because in 2000 Chrysler got some new executive guy, named Wolfgang Bernhard, who said that the Jeep Cherokee was "an aging somewhat 'bland' SUV" and so they ended the production of the Cherokee (XJ) replaced it with the Jeep Liberty (KJ).

:link: (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_did_jeep_stop_making_the_base_model_Jeep_Chero kee_Sport_edition)

Indiana Jeep
11-26-2010, 03:04 PM
He was an idiot, in my humble opinion

bluedragon436
11-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Yes he was... I think the KJ is useless... I mean it looks good, don't get me wrong.. but it is not what the XJ used to be..

Mudderoy
11-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Hey remember, it's something that I read on the Internet. It may, or MAY NOT, be true. :thumbsup:

XJ Rat
11-26-2010, 03:36 PM
With a name like Wolfgang he probably works for Daimler-Benz. Either way, he is still an idiot!

Indiana Jeep
11-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Hey remember, it's something that I read on the Internet. It may, or MAY NOT, be true. :thumbsup:

They wouldn't put it on the internet if it wasn't true would they!?!:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

DETOURS
11-26-2010, 05:22 PM
With a name like Wolfgang he probably works for Daimler-Benz.

Or......Eddie Van Halen!

cherok
11-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Just woke up and just awake I read this topic.
And already my blood is boiling :mad0090::sad0147:

I own the XJ because it is the most beautiful design for a car.
JEEP is responsible for their strange model moves.

On this very moment "Cherokee" is not on JEEP.COM
If their should be a follow up for our XJ's it could be the Liberty or maybe the Patriot.

The Compass is not a car for a rough mark as JEEP, it looks Korean
The Wranglers I like, still really 4x4 vehicle.
I never did get a good feeling about the Grand Cherokee. The former Commander looked more a big Cherokee.

Conclusion: JEEP jeep is lost in their designs and model follow up.

To: XJTALK
CC: JEEP

bluedragon436
11-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Would be awesome if they would bring the Cherokee back w/ a similar "box" design to what we had... or even something along the lines of the Commander... but it has to still have solid front axle... not a IFS... I think that is the main reason I hate the Liberties.... is because of it being IFS not a SFA... All I got to say is for now, until they do come out with something better... I'm sticking with my XJ... I want to pick up a WJ one day... if they don't come out with anything similar to the XJ's before then..

Mudderoy
11-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Just woke up and just awake I read this topic.
And already my blood is boiling :mad0090::sad0147:

I own the XJ because it is the most beautiful design for a car.
JEEP is responsible for their strange model moves.

On this very moment "Cherokee" is not on JEEP.COM
If their should be a follow up for our XJ's it could be the Liberty or maybe the Patriot.

The Compass is not a car for a rough mark as JEEP, it looks Korean
The Wranglers I like, still really 4x4 vehicle.
I never did get a good feeling about the Grand Cherokee. The former Commander looked more a big Cherokee.

Conclusion: JEEP jeep is lost in their designs and model follow up.

To: XJTALK
CC: JEEP

The average person will say "What do I need a 4x4 for?" Public companies aren't run long term or even correctly (in my opinion). They are run to obtain the best quarter so the share holders will be happy. Companies that are run for the love, honor and heart put into their product(s) are often taken over or put out of business by the publicly owned companies.

They are selling what the majority of the people want. I look forward to the day that we can all design and "print" what we like. A few people will make millions selling the designs.

XJ Rat
11-27-2010, 09:10 AM
The average person will say "What do I need a 4x4 for?" Public companies aren't run long term or even correctly (in my opinion). They are run to obtain the best quarter so the share holders will be happy. Companies that are run for the love, honor and heart put into their product(s) are often taken over or put out of business by the publicly owned companies.

They are selling what the majority of the people want. I look forward to the day that we can all design and "print" what we like. A few people will make millions selling the designs.

Your right. Boils down to the oh mighty dollar. We need to keep our XJ's and build on them using product from small private companies.

Unfortunately, I do not think our XJ's would pass current new car safety/emissions anyway. So....................

Would a solid front axle vehicle be brought out again? Probably not. The majority of the public does not need or understand the benefits to it. I remember when the Liberty was introduced, our club had a Chrysler representative speak at it. He told us back then that Jeep did a survey of owners and found that 80% of the new 4x4's they sold never went off road. 90% of the owners never put the transfer case in low range. So new vehicles are designed for the masses. Not like the Wrangler, a niche vehicle that has survived the test of time. Look at the Explorer, used to be a very capable off road vehicle. Not anymore. Why, Joe Q. public, the masses, not a niche market anymore.

Jeepster19
12-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Hey guys,I don't know if this is true but a guy at the local stealership told me that the foundry burnt down the manufactures the 4.0l motor and that's why they stopped making the Xj.I really don't care why they stopped making the Xj,all I know is I love my Xj&wouldn't trade or sell it for anything!!!!:patriot::thumbsup:

bigjim350
12-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Hey guys,I don't know if this is true but a guy at the local stealership told me that the foundry burnt down the manufactures the 4.0l motor and that's why they stopped making the Xj.I really don't care why they stopped making the Xj,all I know is I love my Xj&wouldn't trade or sell it for anything!!!!:patriot::thumbsup:

Never heard anything about that. But they quit making XJ's in 2001 yet used the 4.0 all the way to 2006 in the TJ.

Jeepster19
12-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Never heard anything about that. But they quit making XJ's in 2001 yet used the 4.0 all the way to 2006 in the TJ.

I thought so bigjim350,didn't make much sense to me when he said that.Just a quote from him,alot of different rumors around why they halted production of the Xj.I sure would like to know the real truth though.

Punisher
12-01-2010, 11:21 PM
BRING BACK THE XJ!!!!:mad0090:..... dammit

JENSSEN
12-02-2010, 02:00 AM
In Alberta 4wd is damn near necessary, almost rare to see 2wds sold on the road, generally they are in ditches. All of our DD cars are either 4wd or all wheel drive.
That being said why did the cherokee die? Look at what happened to hummers and all real trucks, people wanted a truck but also wanted it to drive like a car,.... So consumers are killing cars and trucks; for that matter any kind of serious performance.
Now a better question is why did they the the 4.0 in line 6?

DETOURS
12-02-2010, 09:45 AM

This is the funniest thing I've ever read.....
It's so...."UNTRUE"......the individual who told you this should'nt be allowed to breed. Unbelieveable..........:headshake:

Mudderoy
12-02-2010, 09:47 AM
This is the funniest thing I've ever read.....
It's so...."UNTRUE"......the individual who told you this should'nt be allowed to breed. Unbelieveable..........:headshake:

rofl

XJ Rat
12-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Now a better question is why did they the the 4.0 in line 6?

This is what I understand caused the demise of the 4.0, and most all inline sixes from all manufacturers...

Chrysler could no longer get the 4.0 to pass mandated emission requirements. The basic design dates back to the 60's. The 4.0 is a technological dinosaur.

LizardRunner
02-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Wolfgang Bernhard, yeah that figures, must be why in europe the Liberty is known as the Cherokee.

4.3LXJ
02-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Chrysler had quite a few problems with marketing philosophy when they merged with Daimler. They thought they would get lots of diesel tech, which they did and were thinking they would emerge with a lot of high milage emissions compliant cars and SUVs. What they got instead was a lot of Germans with European thinking in upper management. It is not secret there is not much off roading in Europe, so their focus was road machines. It was during this time the "Rubicon" rating hit the dust in favor of a lessor rating. It was a wonder the Wrangler survived. It finally got to be such a problem they unmerged. Chrysler is still trying to undo the damage caused by introducing too many soccer mom cars with the name Jeep on them.

Mudderoy
02-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Chrysler had quite a few problems with marketing philosophy when they merged with Daimler. They thought they would get lots of diesel tech, which they did and were thinking they would emerge with a lot of high milage emissions compliant cars and SUVs. What they got instead was a lot of Germans with European thinking in upper management. It is not secret there is not much off roading in Europe, so their focus was road machines. It was during this time the "Rubicon" rating hit the dust in favor of a lessor rating. It was a wonder the Wrangler survived. It finally got to be such a problem they unmerged. Chrysler is still trying to undo the damage caused by introducing too many soccer mom cars with the name Jeep on them.

They should do a recall on them and the fix will be to turn the JEEP logo upside down. :patriot:

LizardRunner
02-03-2011, 04:03 PM
They could do that recall and change the logos to be in german so everyone would know what the heck happened.

4.3LXJ
02-03-2011, 06:48 PM
How do you say Jeep in German? Veep? Deep?

LizardRunner
04-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Jeep in german = Jeep pronounciation would also be the same.

cherok
04-13-2011, 12:42 PM
How do you say Jeep in German? Veep? Deep?

Look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z_3AhZh8Y0

LizardRunner
06-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Think I will apply for a grant from the federal government for a specialty automotive manufacturing facility. The product will be the former Jeep XJ body but with a frame. That will keep my cost down since I won't need the massive tooling to form the bodies.

mudslut
12-16-2013, 06:20 PM
I love the xj for off rd BEST EVER