PDA

View Full Version : replace FACTORY amp with aftermarket, help

XJ4IV
11-26-2010, 01:15 AM
As you guys know I have bought a expedition and the factory subwoofer is toasted which is normal ANYhow I have a KILLER memphis amp that is 1100 watts at 1 OHM
BUT i dont have the craving for bass like I used to so basically what im trying to achieve is wire in that amp using the FACTORY wires to the FACTORY amp and I will be buying a MUCH higher quality sub as well but MY question is CAN the wiring be just cut n rewired into new amp or is it all like crappy wiring and such... I really dont wanna have to run another 4 gauge wire through this truck as well as RCA's if I can get away with it... PLEASE help me out, I googled it and it looks that everybody gave up on this mod cause the amp they were using didnt have a crossover for low pass frequencies... mine does and it is a single channel as well so Im good there just wanna power it and get a signal from the OE wires.

Mudderoy
11-26-2010, 02:10 AM
As you guys know I have bought a expedition and the factory subwoofer is toasted which is normal ANYhow I have a KILLER memphis amp that is 1100 watts at 1 OHM
BUT i dont have the craving for bass like I used to so basically what im trying to achieve is wire in that amp using the FACTORY wires to the FACTORY amp and I will be buying a MUCH higher quality sub as well but MY question is CAN the wiring be just cut n rewired into new amp or is it all like crappy wiring and such... I really dont wanna have to run another 4 gauge wire through this truck as well as RCA's if I can get away with it... PLEASE help me out, I googled it and it looks that everybody gave up on this mod cause the amp they were using didnt have a crossover for low pass frequencies... mine does and it is a single channel as well so Im good there just wanna power it and get a signal from the OE wires.

We need Audio222's expertise. All I will say is if you put in a speaker that is meant for 1000 watts, and you try to drive it with 50 you may not get the performance you are looking for.

XJ408
11-26-2010, 02:47 AM
Unfortunately I dont know either......but i might can guide to a website that might help you out...........
http://www.the12volt.com

bluedragon436
11-26-2010, 02:55 AM
You could use the factory wiring for your signal input for the amp... but the power wiring that is there for the factory amp will not be good enough to power that nicer aftermarket amp... and even if it did have enough to give you a power on light... it wouldn't be enough to actually power the amp to power a sub... you would end up burning out your amp due to not enough voltage and it struggling to power the sub with next to no real voltage... Your best bet is to just run a new power/ground wire... and then you can use the input wiring, as well as the remote wire from the factory amp wiring... and then make sure you run newer 16 gauge wiring to your new sub..

XJ Rat
11-26-2010, 09:32 AM
You might look here

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

FYI = When I bought my F150, I specifically did not get the factory amp/subwoofer because you could not use any aftermarket amp or subwoofer. Factory wired it so it could not be messed with.

But, if there is a will there is a way.

XJ Rat
11-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Look here too.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/index.php

XJ Rat
11-26-2010, 09:41 AM
I'll bet the coils stay seated:D

XJ4IV
11-26-2010, 11:33 AM
OH hush lol and muddy the AMP is 1100 watts and the SUB ... I havent picked one out yet but rest assured I WILLL not put in a big asss sub... this will be fore bass reinforcement only and yeah your totally right about upping the power wire I totally forgot I tried that WAY back in the day and it broke an old fosgate amp so yeah I guess Ill do a 4 gauge from battery... guess I need to buck up and get some good power and ground wire routed but you DO say that the speaker wire going INTO the amp from the head unit will be good enough signal???