PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Chaos in Bloom!!!

BlueXJ
11-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Glad you joined our group Chaos in Bloom!

Are you an old Jeeper, or new to the hobby? What brings you to our site? Do you have an off road monster, a daily driver, or something in between?

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

Chaos in Bloom
11-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Hey. I picked up my 98 Cherokee sport classic with the 4.0 off my brother about 2 months ago. It had been sitting for about 2 years, and having just moved back to Wisconsin from California, I needed a winter vehicle and toy hauler. My benz wasn't gonna cut it.

Took it to a shop to have the oil changed, radiator flushed, tranny flushed, front and rear diffs flushed, new belts, new battery and battery cables, new rotor, rotor cap, plug wires, and spark plugs. Passenger U joint replaced, new front rotors and breaks, and a general look over. So she is nearly running like a champ for having 210,000 miles on her.

I could have done most of this on my own, but winter was coming and I still had to get down to southern WI to visit family after my 8 year Cali adventure. So it was just faster and less hassle that way.

I still need to replace the VC gasket, and the fuel pump. The gasket isn't bad. Doesn't leak to terribly bad, so I will wait for warm weather before that seeing as we don't have an enclosed garage. The fuel pump works, it just doesn't maintain pressure when turned off. So when starting it you have to crank it over a couple seconds, then back then crank it again and it fires right up. Basically just priming the pump. Lol.

I put brand new BFGoodrich All terrain TA/KO's on it for winter driving. Will probably pick up another set of wheels on Craigslist and put some less aggressive summer tires on in the summer. Aside from that, I haven't done anything aside from an Ebay brush guard, and cheapo walmart offroad lights. I think it looks nice, and my primary focus for that was deer. Hopefully it doesn't come down to that though.

Future plans are a 3-4.5 inch lift. Found a couple that were nicely priced, but I don't know much about lifting. The kits say "Everything you need" but I'm not so sure. I figure I will get some ideas on here, or perhaps take some pointers if anyone has any reccomendations.

Here she is as she was when I got her back from the shop with the tires on. I'll get some pics of the brush guard when it isn't so cold and windy out. (Or the next time I venture outside.)

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z360/jdstrait/DSCN0033.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z360/jdstrait/DSCN0029.jpg

Also, what is that piece called that goes around the grille and headlights? If you look to the left of where it says "JEEP" you can see fiberglass sticking out. My brother messed it up, and it's an eyesore. As some of you may get to know me, I'm pretty protective over my things. I like them looking nice, and as I understand this is a Jeep, it is still something I wish to keep looking nice. A little mud here and there on occasion. :P

4.3LXJ
11-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Nice looking XJ. It's red, so you can run competition with Mudderoy.

bluedragon436
11-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Welcome to xjtalk!! Very nice looking XJ you got there! The part around the grille/headlight would usually be referred to as the header panel... You can usually find them fairly easily and cheap in a PNP, or give up more money to a stealership... There are a good many ready to install lifts out on the market... I know on here there is a majority folks that have the Rough Country lift, I myself am getting ready to install a Rusty's 4.5" lift setup after the warm weather starts showing back up, so that will help you with a wide range of options as far as reviews on different companies of lift setups when you are ready for that stage in your build.. and it is supposed to be a wash here and there on occasion, not mud.... sheesh.... LOL...Just messing with you... I know how you feel though, I know it is a Jeep, but I still want to keep it as nice looking as possible.... until that first dent.. then it's on..

Mudderoy
11-24-2010, 03:47 PM
I have a 1998. I got a 4.5" Rough Country lift for mine. It had everything I needed.

I bought it from one of xjtalk's sponcers, 4wheelingplus.com, Ron.

I started with 32x11.5x15 tires and 10x15 3.75" backspace wheels. Minor trimming of the plastic was necessary for sharp turns.

:welcome:

Chaos in Bloom
11-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Hey. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Thank you fo the compliments and information as well. I hope to learn a lot here, and possibly contribute some of my own opinions, experiences, and knowledge. How ever limited that may be...

cantab27
11-24-2010, 06:45 PM
welcome to xjtalk mate