PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunting!

TeXJ
11-23-2010, 06:04 PM
who does it and any tips?

Mudderoy
11-23-2010, 07:17 PM
who does it and any tips?

Never done it, so this is a pity post so you won't have a ZERO replies. :rotfl2:

Some major leg projection. A large caliber handgun, and a machete or big a$$ knife. Or just hunt from the Jeep. :rotfl2:

Jeepster19
11-23-2010, 08:20 PM
I have been and it is so good to go.I went with a few of my hunting buddies several years back and man we jumped a mamma hog and her youngns,they took off like a bat out of hell and we gave chase for god knows how long!I ran thru the edge of the swamp as my buddies ran down the trail and I had a bead on the momma hog as she headed back across the trail and I wasn't sure where my buddies were,so I lifted the gun giving up the shot.If I had known where they were I could have got a great shot off but oh well.It was fun chasing them though!!!:thumbsup:Hogs are mostly in a swampy area,at least around here in South Carolina.Just look for signs of rooting and tracks.It's a good idea to scout the area you want to hunt before the season starts or often days like sunday when it is closed.Hog hunting is a blast like anything else you hunt when you see something,other times not so fun.It's a hell of a rush when you do!

Punisher
11-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Come to Florida! We are infected with hogs... I like to trap them and pick out the ones we want and let the little ones go...
its nice to make your own trap and put beer and corn in a 5 gal bucket and come back the next day and find about 3-5 pigs in the cage...:thumbsup:

XJ Rat
11-24-2010, 06:16 AM
Its not a deer. Aim in the neck, just in front of the shoulder. Hit 'em like a deer and you will be looking for him. He'll run.

Use a rifle you are comfortable with. I suggest .243 Winchester and up. If you are a handgunner do not even think of using a .45 Auto. That will not stop a hog.

Bait (like corn grain) works great.

If you scope out a water hole be patient when you start seeing hogs. The big boars will come in last, sometimes 20 minutes after the sows and piglets start showing up.

TeXJ
11-24-2010, 09:22 AM
see we have people that'll post :D

Here in texas its a 365 day hunting season on these lil porkers. I just have to find a place to go. That is my biggest hurdle as 90% of land here is private property. I'm on a texas boar website and seems pretty good, i just feel like i know ya'll a lil better. I also saw a thread about using your winch to hoist them up to skin em. reminded me of scott using his winch to change his tires out lol

What are ya'lls opinons on field dressing/skinning? Some say they dont bother with field dressing, as they just cut the cuts of meat they want out. But i think its wrong to waste the rest of the hog....

do you all bait or just look for signs of them and hunt in that region?

Mudderoy
11-24-2010, 10:21 AM
I really enjoy hunting but I haven't been in years. What do you guys think about the .308 rifle round as a good cal to use? I'm hoping to get a Remington 400 .308 someday. I was going to use it as an all around hunting rifle.

XJ Rat
11-24-2010, 11:12 AM
I really enjoy hunting but I haven't been in years. What do you guys think about the .308 rifle round as a good cal to use? I'm hoping to get a Remington 400 .308 someday. I was going to use it as an all around hunting rifle.

.308 is an excellent choice.
Stupid question, Remington 400?

Mudderoy
11-24-2010, 11:22 AM
.308 is an excellent choice.
Stupid question, Remington 400?

lol lack of turkey, 700!

http://www.snipercountry.com/PhotoGallery/Remington700PSS_MirageFlage.jpg

BULL BARREL FTW!

XJ Rat
11-24-2010, 11:22 AM
see we have people that'll post :D

What are ya'lls opinons on field dressing/skinning? Some say they dont bother with field dressing, as they just cut the cuts of meat they want out. But i think its wrong to waste the rest of the hog....

do you all bait or just look for signs of them and hunt in that region?

I wouldn't even consider not field dressing. It is too warm in Texas, and what if you hit something nasty inside. Not dressing = lots of ruined meat.

Out west we looked for signs, but here in Texas it is easier to bait. Get a 40-50 pound bag or two of corn, and spread it in a long trail behind your truck or ATV. About an hour before sunset get downwind/in your blind. Depending on the surroundings 40-80 yards should do it.

Just my experience. Others might feel differently.

XJ Rat
11-24-2010, 11:37 AM
lol lack of turkey, 700!

http://www.snipercountry.com/PhotoGallery/Remington700PSS_MirageFlage.jpg

BULL BARREL FTW!

I would hate to carry that around in the field.

I used to have a Ruger M77-UL in .308. 6-1/4 pounds. Wonderful to carry, but it kicked when you shot it.

I now use a Browning BAR in 7mm magnum. Very accurate with good knockdown power. It will take anything in the USA.

BlueXJ
11-24-2010, 11:37 AM
I have hunted feral hogs in Ga and used a 45/70 and it drops them right there.

Here in Tx I have hunted Javalinas with a bow but never a rifle. I would probably say the larger hogs will need a .308 or 30/06 to knock em down.

XJ4IV
11-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Shoot first ask questions later???

XJ Rat
11-25-2010, 07:56 AM

No, no...you have the two legged variety of varmints confused with hogs.

TeXJ
11-25-2010, 11:27 PM

Cheney is that you?