PDA

View Full Version : Memories by smell

prerunner1982
11-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Ok.. so what smells bring back memories for you? Good or bad.....

One of them for me is a certain air freshener. When I was young I got sick in the middle of the night and threw up on the floor. The smell of the air freshener my Dad used after he cleaned up my mess has stuck with me ever since. I do not know the name of it, but I can not stand the smell..

I have a few others but will wait to see if anyone replies...

Firemanray
11-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Interesting post. Old shops have a certain smell that reminds me of my grandpas place. Old cars have a smell that brings back memories.

On the other hand the smell of oil, antifreeze, fuel, trans fluid and other fluids mix to make a distinct smell you don't forget when working accident scenes.

Funny how smells make such an impression on our memories.

ice_cold
11-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Whiskey.....real bad drunk that put me in the hospital after falling down some stairs. That was when I was 18, now 51, just the smell of it gives me the heebie jeebies

Punisher
11-23-2010, 09:08 PM
shit is what I smell right now... :smiley-laughing021:

bigjim350
11-23-2010, 09:23 PM
I could get in trouble with this thread, but I will keep it clean. When the inside of my Jeep gets wet that mildew smell reminds me of my house after it flooded, three times.

Punisher
11-23-2010, 09:41 PM
I could get in trouble with this thread, but I will keep it clean. When the inside of my Jeep gets wet that mildew smell reminds me of my house after it flooded, three times.

:smiley-laughing021: for some reason I have a feeling what your were going to say :smiley-laughing021:

XJ4IV
11-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Mud cookin on a flowmaster... first time out wheelin
a certain Shampoo... the first time I spent the night at my wifes house... back when we were dating
electrical burning... my first car catching...
coolant my first car blowing a heater core hose and filling my passenger floorboard with coolant

old spice my dads dad...
Pipe smoke tobacco... my moms dad
eucalyptus trees... first time to the zoo
Hay... my uncles house and his barn
I got MILLIONS more but I wanna leave room for others

XJ Rat
11-24-2010, 05:59 AM
The desert smell after rain. Reminds me of my youth.

The smell of diesel and burnt gunpowder...tanks and the bush...service days.

Yep, I could keep going too. Different smells bring back both good and bad memories.

Mudderoy
11-24-2010, 06:00 AM
Ok.. so what smells bring back memories for you? Good or bad.....

One of them for me is a certain air freshener. When I was young I got sick in the middle of the night and threw up on the floor. The smell of the air freshener my Dad used after he cleaned up my mess has stuck with me ever since. I do not know the name of it, but I can not stand the smell..

I have a few others but will wait to see if anyone replies...

Cool idea for a post.

prerunner1982
11-24-2010, 08:31 AM
XJ Rat... Diesel also has the same memory for me.. working on and driving big old trucks in the military.

Another smell that also reminds me of the military... original Colgate shaving foam. When we were in the field I would always buy the cheap travel size stuff, always ended up with Colgate. Reminds me of standing on the side steps of my 5 ton on a cold morning using the side mirror to shave with.

4.3LXJ
11-24-2010, 09:34 AM
My wife likes any kind of diesel, gas or solvent smell. Reminds her of her father.

cantab27
11-24-2010, 08:12 PM
i like the smell of the beach , child hood memories , plus reminds me of my late mother , sprinkled her ash there 12 years ago .........

EekGirl96
07-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Im surprised this topic didnt go far....but for the newbies on this forum I decided to bring it back :)

The smells I can think of is rain, especially right after it rains in the desert, reminds me of when I used to go camping/fishing with my dad

Diesel(semi's, bus's, etc) reminds me of Disneyland (weird I know) but we used to go there alot and thats all I can remember when I smell diesel, especially from a bus (since theyre always driving around.

The beach,...even tho I am an Arizonian I love the beach so the smell reminds me of my childhood and going there every break I got.

BlueXJ
07-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Smells that are distinctive are my wifes perfume that she wore when we were dating, and the smell of baby powder reminds me of my daughter when I would change her.

Kee mentioned Diesel smell and that reminds me of my first job out of high school when I worked for Continental Trailways as a bus mechanic.

Brasscatz
07-11-2013, 06:48 PM
I can't remember the name of it, but there's an aftershave that my father and grandfather used to use.... fond memories.

xj4life2
07-11-2013, 06:57 PM
The smell of fresh cut wood, sawdust reminds me of my dad. The smell of dust in the furnace reminds me of spending the night as a kid and my grandparents house. Ritz crackers remind me of my grandfather. The smell of chalk and books remind me of my other grandmother. That's all for now , makin' me sad.

Brasscatz
07-11-2013, 07:07 PM
The smell of fresh cut wood, sawdust reminds me of my dad. The smell of dust in the furnace reminds me of spending the night as a kid and my grandparents house. Ritz crackers remind me of my grandfather. The smell of chalk and books remind me of my other grandmother. That's all for now , makin' me sad.

Good call on the sawdust... you brought up another memory for me ;)

graverobberjk
07-11-2013, 07:17 PM
The smell of fresh cut wood, sawdust reminds me of grandpa. The smell of oil, grease and parts remind me of my childhood and my dad. I don't know the name of the perfume, but when I smell it I still look for my mom, even though we are far apart and the smell of a porta potty will forever reminded me of my time overseas lol

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

XJ Wheeler
07-12-2013, 03:07 AM
I have no way of identifying it but a specific smell brings me right back to middle school. The hallways just had that smell, probably some cleaning solution or something.

oderdene
07-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Good call on the sawdust... you brought up another memory for me ;)

yeah, fresh cut wood and sawdust reminds me grandpa, he was a carpenter

89Laredo
07-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Herbal essences shampoo (the blue kind) and brown Sugar/fig body spray reminds me of my girlfriend.
...well, at this point I'm not sure if I should call her my girlfriend or ex.

89Laredo
07-24-2013, 12:25 AM
The smell of diesel exhaust doesnt really bring back any specific memory, but it makes me happy.
Lots of hours driving OBS 7.3 powerstrokes during wheat harvest 2011.
MANY hours in the combine summer 2011.
Loading the trailer with firewood in foot deep snow with my friend and his dad at the cabin.
Much more.

TimmyTXJ
07-24-2013, 07:42 AM
Semi truck tires.... weird but that smell reminds me of spending summers at my grandparents house when I was a kid. (They lived near a distribution center for a grocery store chain)

Sage... reminds me of my first place. I had desert sage planted near the windows and it smelled absolutely AWESOME after a rainstorm.

graverobberjk
07-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Herbal essences shampoo (the blue kind) and brown Sugar/fig body spray reminds me of my girlfriend.
...well, at this point I'm not sure if I should call her my girlfriend or ex.

I have the same issue with the cucumber melon body spray my ex wife wears...everytime I smell it in a crowd, I turn my head to look for her lol

Mudderoy
07-24-2013, 09:06 AM
I love the smell of fear, it always surprises me because I smell it so infrequently! :smiley-laughing021:

msmoorenburg
07-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Smells better than it feels on your hands uhhh ya.....

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/58/94/00/0007589400996_500X500.jpg

brings back the splash i got on my hands when washing out a carb

07Negative
07-24-2013, 04:17 PM
dog farts after they have eaten cheese. It's freakin foul!
Certain home cooked meals.
The smell of sex after a all nighter and the next morning the smell is still there.