PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tire Carrier or Roof Rack Mounted Tire Carrier?

Jeepster19
11-22-2010, 08:54 PM
I am very close to putting my lift on my 98 Xj,but still haven't decided where to put my full size spare.I have decided to go with a 31x10.50's on a 3" BDS suspension lift as apposed to the 6" BDS I had previously planned on.Just more practical for me being it is my daily driver.Any links or any opinions from you guys would be a great help,just looking for a good fit&look.:thumbsup::D

4.3LXJ
11-22-2010, 10:27 PM
You can put it on the floor or if you can find one a stock rear tire carrier

gary63
11-22-2010, 10:48 PM
I like rear carrier it is eazer to get to your tire also less likly to get a tree lim jammed into you tire.

JeepinOutfitters
11-23-2010, 09:27 AM
While more expensive than many roof rack solutions, my vote is rear bumper/tire carrier. Having the tire on the back helps keep your center of gravity low for better handling and stability both on and off road. It's also easier to get to should you need it. Having it on the back also won't hurt your fuel economy like having it on the roof would (increased wind resistance = decrease in mpg), and there's no worries about clearance fitting in a garage, parking garage, etc.

A rear mounted tire carrier does make it a bit less convenient for getting into the back, but there are lots of bumper systems available with nice, easy to use latches.

Mudderoy
11-23-2010, 09:42 AM
While more expensive than many roof rack solutions, my vote is rear bumper/tire carrier. Having the tire on the back helps keep your center of gravity low for better handling and stability both on and off road. It's also easier to get to should you need it. Having it on the back also won't hurt your fuel economy like having it on the roof would (increased wind resistance = decrease in mpg), and there's no worries about clearance fitting in a garage, parking garage, etc.

A rear mounted tire carrier does make it a bit less convenient for getting into the back, but there are lots of bumper systems available with nice, easy to use latches.

I love my rear tire carrier. It's much easier to get to. Just make sure you get one that is high enough up so it doesn't interfere with vertical climbs.

DETOURSUSA.com has an excellent solution called the tailbone. Just an add on for the stock bumper plus it has recovery points. I considered it for mine, but I went the more expensive route, including more expensive shipping. :smiley-scared002:

http://www.detoursusa.com/images/feature-xjtailbone.jpg
tailbone from detours

bigjim350
11-23-2010, 06:46 PM
I would go with the rear mounted carrier. The kind of wheeling I do in the woods, a roof mounted spare would get hung up all the time.

bluedragon436
11-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Just like stated above... if I were you I would go with a rear mount tire carrier... you can get all hard core, or you can just get what you need by getting the Tailbone system as shown above... especially if you are going for a DD vehicle/every now and again wheeler... I am def. going to be hitting this up once I get mine lifted..

Jeepster19
11-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the input from everyone on the tire carrier choice.I am going with the rear bumper tire carrier because it makes the most sense.Besides, I'm too old to be crawlin on top of my Xj to get the spare off the roof!:thumbsup:

Jeepster19
11-25-2010, 07:49 PM
I love my rear tire carrier. It's much easier to get to. Just make sure you get one that is high enough up so it doesn't interfere with vertical climbs.

DETOURSUSA.com has an excellent solution called the tailbone. Just an add on for the stock bumper plus it has recovery points. I considered it for mine, but I went the more expensive route, including more expensive shipping. :smiley-scared002:

http://www.detoursusa.com/images/feature-xjtailbone.jpg
tailbone from detours

Hey mudderoy,looks like a nice rugged rear bumper with tire carrier.Going with the smoothie SLS on my Xj.How much did you pay for shipping?Do you know where the company is located?

Mudderoy
11-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Hey mudderoy,looks like a nice rugged rear bumper with tire carrier.Going with the smoothie SLS on my Xj.How much did you pay for shipping?Do you know where the company is located?

Actually they moved. They were in CT when I got my rear bumper. Seems like shipping was $70, but I'm just guessing I can't remember. DETOURS will be able to tell you! They are in KY now.

JG-Man
11-26-2010, 11:10 AM
I realize I'm late to the party but I agree with all the above. When I upgraded to 31" I soon realized the tire wouldn't fit in the stock, upright location anymore. (picture me trying to angle in in there a few times - almost ripping my headliner. Duh!)
If you lay it across your floor it takes up most of your usable cargo space, which I need weekly to haul a tall garbag can of recyclables (my justification to the wife for keep this XJ around). I got an awesome deal on my safari roofrack on Craig's List so it was a no brainer for my to throw my spare up there. I fabbed a bolt down system by drilling some holes and using some HD metal plates and the OEM bolt and spinner nut and then put a protective cover over it to keep out rust and dirt.
The worst part about it being up there is that the center of gravity of my XJ is raised and it could use more (some) weight being mounted to the rear and as low as possible. So I plan to mount my Hi-Lift jack to the cargo floor area rather than the roof rack cause it is really heavy. It is also to much of a pain in the ars for me to check the air pressure in the spare because I had to mount it with the air stem down - so I would have to unbolt it just to get to the stem. I also cannot fit in many parking garages because of the added height. So ... Its waay better to spend the money, if you have it, on a rear mount setup.