PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Wave Fail

Mudderoy
11-17-2010, 11:49 AM
I failed. I was on Jones Road between Highway 6 and 249. I saw a lifted blue XJ and I got the Jeep wave. I didn't have time to respond, I failed. 80% sure it was a girl driving. :thumbdown: :sad0147:

Indiana Jeep
11-17-2010, 02:56 PM
You could have turned around and followed her to return the wave but that may be considered stalking

Mudderoy
11-17-2010, 03:22 PM
You could have turned around and followed her to return the wave but that may be considered stalking

Plus it could have been a guy with long blond hair! Not that there's anything wrong with that! :smiley-laughing021:

bluedragon436
11-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Nothing wrong with it... just would be way better for it to be a blond female driving it... I usually always try to wave to other Jeeps, no matter what model or how built it is... and I find that it is usually never returned...

Punisher
11-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Yeah... What happened to the jeep wave I got it all the time when I had my Wrangler but after a while people just dont do it... Then I got the XJ My eyes are alwasy open for other jeeps and when I wave they just keep on going with no wave? :(

Mudderoy
11-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah... What happened to the jeep wave I got it all the time when I had my Wrangler but after a while people just dont do it... Then I got the XJ My eyes are alwasy open for other jeeps and when I wave they just keep on going with no wave? :(

I'm going to start operation jeep wave starting tomorrow (almost dark now) and I'll report back how many wave backs I see.

Punisher
11-17-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm going to start operation jeep wave starting tomorrow (almost dark now) and I'll report back how many wave backs I see.

:smiley-laughing021::thumbsup::patriot:

steph74
11-17-2010, 05:21 PM
I have heard/read about that wave thing but still don;t get it apparently there is a very strict code for it depending on jeep, mods, mud, dents........ what you supposed to do, wave with your hands ?

Punisher
11-17-2010, 06:38 PM
I have heard/read about that wave thing but still don;t get it apparently there is a very strict code for it depending on jeep, mods, mud, dents........ what you supposed to do, wave with your hands ?

Its a jeep thing... you should understand :smiley-laughing021:
If ya see a jeep, you wave... like the bikers do...

bigjim350
11-17-2010, 06:49 PM
I wave at other Jeeps but its rarely returned :(

Punisher
11-17-2010, 06:53 PM
I wave at them too but if they dont wave in return I just give them a :smiley-finger007:

buckshot500
11-17-2010, 08:30 PM
I found a fake severed hand at the dollar store this past Halloween, & now I wave at everyone. I have another one for my XJ, but haven't had a chance to put it in yet.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/buckshot500/IMG_1420.jpg

Mudderoy
11-17-2010, 08:32 PM
I found a fake severed hand at the dollar store this past Halloween, & now I wave at everyone. I have another one for my XJ, but haven't had a chance to put it in yet.

we need pictures!

buckshot500
11-17-2010, 08:40 PM
we need pictures!

Pic-fail.

I uploaded attachments & that didn't work.

My P-bucket isn't letting me do image codes either for some reason.

I'll keep trying.:boohoo:

OK it's up!

Mudderoy
11-17-2010, 08:51 PM

:thumbsup: :smiley-laughing021: :patriot:

Check it out on http://facebook.com/xjtalk !!!!!

OrangeXJ
11-18-2010, 03:31 AM
I never got waved at until I got the CJ it happens quit often when I drive it. And I wave back.

Mudderoy
11-18-2010, 06:19 AM
I never got waved at until I got the CJ it happens quit often when I drive it. And I wave back.

I'm shocked that orange XJ doesn't get waves! People do look at you don't they?

Punisher
11-18-2010, 06:50 AM
i found a fake severed hand at the dollar store this past halloween, & now i wave at everyone. I have another one for my xj, but haven't had a chance to put it in yet.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/buckshot500/img_1420.jpg

now thats funny, i dont care who you are, :gitrdun:

Mudderoy
11-18-2010, 09:04 AM
now thats funny, i dont care who you are, :gitrdun:

:redx: :smiley-laughing021: :popcorn:

bluedragon436
11-18-2010, 09:19 AM
I notice that the Wranglers are always more at waving to each other... than to the XJ's... like we are the outcasts of the Jeeps...

Mudderoy
11-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Jeep waves sent 0
Jeep waves received 0

CT99XJ
11-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Around here, the Wrangler guys (excluding a few of the cool ones) don't wave back. I actually had one yell, "Get a real Jeep!" at me when i did. :(

The XJs all wave.

OrangeXJ
11-18-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm shocked that orange XJ doesn't get waves! People do look at you don't they?

No waves but I have had several people follow me to the house to get a closer look.

Mudderoy
11-18-2010, 11:36 AM
No waves but I have had several people follow me to the house to get a closer look.

Wow. I've had people walk up to me but no one follows me to the house.

DETOURS
11-18-2010, 11:52 AM
The 'wave' is optional with the XJ, you can exercise your right to go either way......The more it's built, the more likely you'll feel the urge to throw out the wave........

Corvette owners do the wave, and I shouted out a big WTF when I learned I had to wave to other dually owners............I learned to travel only in the darkness of night.

XJ4IV
11-18-2010, 12:00 PM
I used to wave... must be the old TJ in me... but when I noticed that no matter how nice your XJ is those damn tj and jk guys JUST dont wave back... I gave up and NOW folks wave at me pretty frequently... moreso from guys in lifted yotas and big bodies then jeeps... thats odd i guess

4.3LXJ
11-18-2010, 12:15 PM
I don't get waves from other Jeeps, well except for once. But other brands do. I get a few talking to me wanting to know what is under the hood though.

Indiana Jeep
11-18-2010, 03:12 PM
I pass the same green Wrangler on the way home from work almost every day, I waved a few times but they never waved back so I don't bother now. A few days ago we passed him again and he waved first, I thought it was odd and realized he was waving because my girl was driving. :smiley-laughing021: Got to admit, I don't blame him for trying! :thumbsup::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

Mudderoy
11-18-2010, 03:15 PM
I pass the same green Wrangler on the way home from work almost every day, I waved a few times but they never waved back so I don't bother now. A few days ago we passed him again and he waved first, I thought it was odd and realized he was waving because my girl was driving. :smiley-laughing021: Got to admit, I don't blame him for trying! :thumbsup::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

Yesterday evening was a "windows down" day. I kept an eye open but no jeeps or lifted vehicles to wave at. I'll try again this evening. :patriot:

steph74
11-18-2010, 03:19 PM

I would probably have waved back something else at him ;)

rugidone
11-18-2010, 06:17 PM
I wave, 8/10 get a wave back.

When I first got the Jeep, wifey started driving it, and she came home one day thinking I knew a crapload of Jeepers/offroaders in town and that they thought I was driving :D

DETOURS
11-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Yesterday evening was a "windows down" day. I kept an eye open but no jeeps or lifted vehicles to wave at. I'll try again this evening. :patriot:

Dont get self-conciousness.........perhaps they're "out jeeped".....inferior...:thumbsup:

xjpirate
11-18-2010, 06:22 PM
every time i wave to someone in a jeep 1/10 wranglers waves back. and 8/10 of xj's wave back.. it's like they don't consider us at all:thumbdown:

cantab27
11-18-2010, 07:53 PM
don't wave over here ... just the middle finger solute with road rage .......most jeep drivers down here are shiney mo fos ......will try it and see what happens ....

4x4Dalton
11-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Yeah was goin to say I have waved and all I usaully get back is the good ole 1 finger salute. :shocker:

steph74
11-18-2010, 08:47 PM
rules are too complicated for my little tired brain ;)
http://jeeptalk.org/jeep_wave.php
I don;t wave I am too focused on the noises of my jeep haha don;t hhave time to look around

cantab27
11-22-2010, 02:20 AM
don't wave over here ... just the middle finger solute with road rage .......most jeep drivers down here are shiney mo fos ......will try it and see what happens ....

well what do ya know ,, was driving jeep back from mates early this evening and got a wave from a modified samurai .....i waved back ...does that count ,, i like samurai, so i say it does :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
11-22-2010, 09:52 AM
well what do ya know ,, was driving jeep back from mates early this evening and got a wave from a modified samurai .....i waved back ...does that count ,, i like samurai, so i say it does :smiley-laughing021:

Yep, Sammys count, and Mighty Mites:thumbsup:

Firemanray
11-23-2010, 06:09 PM
rules are too complicated for my little tired brain ;)
http://jeeptalk.org/jeep_wave.php
I don;t wave I am too focused on the noises of my jeep haha don;t hhave time to look around

:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021::popcorn:

Mudderoy
02-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Jeep wave received "from a built Wrangler" and successfully returned!

That's 1! :smiley-laughing021:

rguignard
02-15-2011, 12:48 PM
i got one from a rubi that was built up the other day

bluedragon436
02-15-2011, 01:40 PM
I got one from a built Rubi, as well as a built CJ that was right behind it... and returned both... and then the next day got a return from a built YJ!! Could it be they are starting to recognize us as Jeeps worthy of a wave or return?!

cantab27
02-15-2011, 01:47 PM
driving my mates stock xj on weekend ...... got a wave from another stocker ......
(maybe it was just green waving to green )
then i spent the next half hour explaining to Mrs about the jeep wave ....
wasn't really worth the wave after the look she gave me .......lol................

modestmar00xj
02-15-2011, 02:04 PM

haha yes! thats so great!

TeXJ
02-15-2011, 03:19 PM
like others stated: i rarely get a wave from a wrangler. XJ's luv XJ's. :D

Weldmen
02-15-2011, 03:24 PM
I get most of the waves from CJ's. I tried the XJ wave but they just look at me thinking do I know that guy? :headshake: What a freek!!!

Found the official rules on Jeep waves..

The Jeep Wave: An honor bestowed upon those drivers with the superior intelligence, taste, class, and discomfort tolerance to own the ultimate vehicle - the Jeep. Generally consists of vigorous side-to-side motion of one or both hands, but may be modified to suit circumstances and locally accepted etiquette. Examples of commonly accepted modifications:
Top off: One handed wave above windshield or outside body tub
Top off during blizzard: Shiver and nod, hands may remain frozen to steering wheel
Southern/rural locations: Raise fingers from steering wheel, nod
It's not what you buy, it's what you build and what you do with it.
In keeping with this cardinal rule of Jeeping, categories have been established to account for each part of the equation.
These categories are:

The Jeep Waving Hierarchy: Based on the vehicle itself. Takes into account the nostalgia factor, the discomfort tolerance quotient, and the amount of owner dedication required to maintain the steed.
The Modifying Sub-categories: Based on what you do with your Jeep.
Equipment Adjustments: What you build.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Rules:
1. All Jeepers are responsible for upholding the tradition of the Wave. Upon contact with a higher scoring Jeep, a Jeeper is required to initiate the Wave, and continue the Wave until:

The Wave is returned
The Wave is blatantly disregarded
The higher scoring vehicle has passed by and is out of sight
2. All Jeepers are required to return the Wave, unless the initiating vehicle is clearly has a negative (below 0) score.

3. All Jeepers are encouraged, but not required, to return the Wave to negative balance vehicles, and take any opportunity presented to guide and mentor them about their responsibilities to their Jeeps in the hopes that they can correct the error of their ways.

4. When unsure of status or wave requirements of a particular encounter or unable to completely assess the other Jeep's score quickly enough to ensure that the proper Jeep Wave Etiquette rules are followed, immediately initiate wave.

"When in doubt, WHIP IT OUT!"

TeXJ
02-15-2011, 03:28 PM
I've now gotten to where i just wave at lifted vehicles

Tural
02-15-2011, 03:35 PM
I've now gotten to where i just wave at lifted vehicles

X2.

PolarXJ
02-15-2011, 03:42 PM
I don't see the jeep wave pretty much any more in my neck of the woods. Doesn't matter, TJ, CJ, XJ. Maybe it got old...there are alot of jeeps around :D

xj4life2
02-15-2011, 04:14 PM
To add to earlier posted Jeep wave , here is the rules and scoring method

Warning:
Owning, registering, insuring, or driving a Jeep implies knowledge of and intent to abide by the following rules, regulations, and guidelines. Failure to obey the letter or spirit of the rules may result in your being ignored by other Jeep owners as you sit along the side of the road next to your stalled vehicle in a blizzard surrounded by Saturns, Yugos, and Hyundais.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definition:
The Jeep Wave: An honor bestowed upon those drivers with the superior intelligence, taste, class, and discomfort tolerance to own the ultimate vehicle - the Jeep. Generally consists of vigorous side-to-side motion of one or both hands, but may be modified to suit circumstances and locally accepted etiquette. Examples of commonly accepted modifications:
Top off: One handed wave above windshield or outside body tub
Top off during blizzard: Shiver and nod, hands may remain frozen to steering wheel
Southern/rural locations: Raise fingers from steering wheel, nod
It's not what you buy, it's what you build and what you do with it.
In keeping with this cardinal rule of Jeeping, categories have been established to account for each part of the equation.
These categories are:

The Jeep Waving Hierarchy: Based on the vehicle itself. Takes into account the nostalgia factor, the discomfort tolerance quotient, and the amount of owner dedication required to maintain the steed.
The Modifying Sub-categories: Based on what you do with your Jeep.
Equipment Adjustments: What you build.

General Rules:
1. All Jeepers are responsible for upholding the tradition of the Wave. Upon contact with a higher scoring Jeep, a Jeeper is required to initiate the Wave, and continue the Wave until:

The Wave is returned
The Wave is blatantly disregarded
The higher scoring vehicle has passed by and is out of sight
2. All Jeepers are required to return the Wave, unless the initiating vehicle is clearly has a negative (below 0) score.

3. All Jeepers are encouraged, but not required, to return the Wave to negative balance vehicles, and take any opportunity presented to guide and mentor them about their responsibilities to their Jeeps in the hopes that they can correct the error of their ways.

4. When unsure of status or wave requirements of a particular encounter or unable to completely assess the other Jeep's score quickly enough to ensure that the proper Jeep Wave Etiquette rules are followed, immediately initiate wave.

"When in doubt, WHIP IT OUT!"

First, the Jeep Waving Hierarchy (JWH):
Category A Pre-CJ: 30
Category B Pre-AMC CJ: 27
Category C Other CJ: 25
Category D Commando: 20
Category E YJ 16
Category F TJ 15
Category G Cherokee, Wagoneer: 10
Category H All other Jeeps: 5
Category I All other 4WD vehicles EXCEPT yuppie Explorers: 0
Category J All other vehicles 0

The Modifying Sub-Categories (MSCs):
(What you do with it)
MSC Guidelines:

1. MSCs must be considered during all Jeep encounters, and wave patterns must be adjusted accordingly.

2. MSC 5 is the median - the accepted norm.

3. MSCs from 1 through 4 will increase score as listed.

4. MSCs 6 and 7 will decrease score as listed.

MSC 1: Top off; vehicle, driver, and all occupants covered with mud: +30
MSC 2: Top partially off; vehicle and some occupants covered with Mud: +20
MSC 3: Top on; vehicle covered with mud: +10
MSC 4: Top off during snow, sleet, hail, or heavy rain: +5
MSC 5: Somewhat dirty: 0
MSC 6: Obviously recently washed, but immediately re-muddied a little: -10
MSC 7: Clean, dry, unscratched, untested: -30

Equipment Adjustments
(What you build)

Consideration must be given to the current mechanical condition of the vehicle, including all modifications for trailworthiness, comfort, appearance, and spouse-appeasal. These are known as Equipment Adjustments (EAs). EAs are a complicated category, and often difficult to appraise under certain conditions (passing head-to-head at 60 mph, when covered with mud, etc) but must be used to modify score when feasible. If a vehicle is so covered with mud that you are unable to ascertain any of the EAs, you MUST assume that the EAs, when combined with the MSC 1 adjustment, would place the vehicle in a higher scoring position than any non-MSC 1 Jeep, and immediately initiate the wave. Otherwise, EAs will adjust score as follows:

Engine:
Stock, Pre-CJ, Working Condition: +2
Stock, 8-cyl: +2
Stock, 6-cyl: +1
Stock, 4-cyl: 0
Replaced, 8-cyl: +3
Replaced, 6-cyl (replacing 4-cyl): +2
Replaced, 6-cyl (replacing 6-cyl): 0
Replaced, 6-cyl (replacing 8-cyl): -1
Replaced, 4-cyl: -1
Drivetrain Modifications:
Improved internal mechanical parts (crank/cam/etc): +2 each
Upgraded Transmission: NV4500 or Turbo400: +3, All others: +2
Upgraded Transfer Case: +2
Improved exterior mechanical parts (headers/manifolds/pumps/filters/etc): +1 each
Stone stock in a pre-1970 vehicle: +3 (for nostalgia and historical analysis)
All Comfort enhancements removed for more power: +2
Tires:
Stock or unremarkable: 0
Original Tires on Pre-CJ: +2
Slightly oversized (up to 31"): +1
Over 31, with other appropriate mods: +2
Any size, currently covered with mud: +2
Working tires > 31" with original donut spare: -2
Low-profile: -10
Suspension:
Stock, Pre-CJ: +2 if driver can still walk after an hour in the saddle
Body lift: +1/inch
Suspension lift: +2/inch
Spring-Over Lift: +3
High-quality shocks: +2
Lowered: -20
Other accessories/conditions:
Winch, heavy-duty, obviously used: +2
Winch, heavy-duty, use unclear: +1
Other winch, obviously used: +1
Little, chrome-covered, toy winch: -1
Lockers: +2
Upgraded axles: +1
Upgraded transfer case: +1
Each chrome accessory currently shiny: -1
Each neon accessory: -2
Fire extinguishers: +1
Block and Tackle, anchors, etc: +2
Ropes, straps, tow chains: +1
Tow Hooks: +1
Nerf Bars/Rock Rails, used and scarred: +2
Nerf Bars, shiny, no scars: -1
Heavy duty bash/skid plates: +1
Other protective plating (diamond plate, etc): +2 if scarred, -2 if unscarred
Extra fuel tanks/oversize fuel tanks: +1
External Gear Carrying Rack: +1
Multi disc-CD Player: -1
More than one subwoofer: -1 each
First Aid Kit: +1
Backpack, food, emergency gear (just in case): +2
On-board air compressor: +1
On-board Welder: +2
Girly, shiny chrome center caps: -1
Krylon home-made paint job: +1 (for realizing it's just going to happen again)
Blackout Headlight Covers: -1
Any little flippy interior vanity mirrors: -1
Children in vehicle: +1/each (for proper training/indoctrination), +2 if muddy, an immediate correction if not belted in.
EARNED trip stickers/badges/etc: +1/each
Unearned stickers/badges/etc: -2/each
Stickers advertising for other than 4wd-related businesses: -2 (except No Fear: -5)
MSC 1 vehicle in corporate lot sharing with neighbor vehicles: +1 per vehicle decorated
Correct mental attitude, seen or proven: +3
Windshield down: +1 (+2 if raining/snowing)
Bugs left on face/teeth as evidence of recent windshield down driving: +1 (+2 if more than a week old)
CB radio or other communication tool (for emergency only): +1
Hi-Lift Jack: +2
Flexible caulking to fill leaks and body damage: +2
Dogs as passengers, properly secured: +1 (sharing the joy of Jeeping)
Bringing a new Jeeper into the Family: +5
Extra Lighting, used for night-wheeling, not pastel or neon colored: +1/ea
Homemade roll bar pads: +1
Duct Tape currently in use: +1 per yard
Duct Tape Reserve: +1 per roll
Top on and windows up, warm day: -2
Grenade Hood Ornament: +1
P.A. - used to harass drivers of lesser vehicles: +1
Storage boxes from solid steel or ammo cans: +1
Waving while fighting the older Jeeps' natural urge to wander: +1
Plastic headlight covers/accessories: -1
Bra (on a Jeep - how could you??): -1
Snorkel Gear (functional): +2
Battle Scars:
Mashed hood, top, etc., obviously from roll-over: +3
Holes above glove box where passenger ripped grab-bar out: +3
Heavily gouged rocker panels: +2
Bloody seats: +2
V-bent front bumper from being pulled out of that REALLY bad one: +2
Scarred sides from those mis-judged rocks: +1
Any small parking lot dent/scratch still identifiable: -1
Other accessories bent, folded, mangled or mutilated: +1, EXCEPT:
See above, but said item is owned by your spouse: +2
No scars whatsoever: -3 (Unless Pre-CJ restored, then: +3)
New body due to rust only: -5 (unless a rescue, see discussion below)
New body due to damage: Previous damage points carry over (see discussion below)
Fire Damage (bubbled paint, singed seats, etc): +2
Limbs, Shrubs, etc attached well enough to remain at highway speed: +1/each
Any rescue in the Jeep's past requiring the use of snowmobiles: +1
Any rescue in the Jeep's past requiring the use of boats: +2
Any rescue in the Jeep's past requiring the use of tracked vehicles: +2
Scars on the driver - MUST be Jeep-related, may require proof: +1
Each Jeep Rescue performed: +1

prerunner1982
02-15-2011, 04:19 PM
I actually got a wave from a fellow XJ the other day in another town. He wasn't modified either, but was glad to wave back. I don't ever get waves.. from any other Jeep.