PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Cherokee "XJ" towing

Mudderoy
11-15-2010, 03:15 PM
So we had a question come up from a member that is 180 miles from home and blew a head gasket! Hey at least the head gasket had a good time!

The member wanted to know if he could tow his XJ home on a dolly, and would just putting the transfer case in neutral keep any damage from occuring due to the tow.

I quickly looked up some information and from what I can tell you can tow a 4x4 Jeep Cherokee "XJ" with all four wheels on the ground as long as you have the transfer case in neutral.

Right, wrong, caveats?

Dirt Dogg Rydas
11-15-2010, 04:26 PM
When I had the tow dolly I used to put the T-case in neutral and didn't have a problem with it. Now that the dolly is gone and I have a tow bar I put the tranny in neutral. Hope that helps.

steph74
11-15-2010, 04:56 PM
I don;t know if it is the same but I see a lot of XJ being towed beind RV's on 4 wheels

Someone told me that they knew somebody that had been told to remove the front shaft to tow..... (now this is totally more than 3rd level info so I am not sure why and what for)

I can push my XJ on the driveway if in 2WD and neutral because I have a manual transmission I guess....

bigjim350
11-15-2010, 04:58 PM
I have heard that it will ruin the Dif in a 242 transfer case. Some of the earlier 231 tc's when you put them in N it disconnects it from the tranny but locks the front and rear together, which would also be bad. What kind of TC does he have? The safest way would to be just remove the rear drive shaft.

kryptonitexj
11-15-2010, 05:16 PM
If you have a stock style driveshaft and you remove it alot of transmission fluid will come pouring out. Just FYI.

bigjim350
11-15-2010, 05:23 PM
In that case you unbolt the driveshaft from the rear, then leave it in the tranny and wire it out of the way.

ice_cold
11-15-2010, 05:50 PM
My understanding is:
T-case in N
Trans in Park, or 5th if manual
If a 242, keep 4 down as the viscous coupler may take a hit if dollied.

And make sure the key is at first position...just to keep the steering wheel un-locked.

dirtroadroots
11-15-2010, 05:54 PM
I have heard that it will ruin the Dif in a 242 transfer case. Some of the earlier 231 tc's when you put them in N it disconnects it from the tranny but locks the front and rear together, which would also be bad. What kind of TC does he have? The safest way would to be just remove the rear drive shaft.

i needed to flat tow mine once and had heard the same thing about the 231...the guys at the 4wd shop told me as long as the jeep ain't started while in neutral you're alright...when the vehicle is started there is vacuum pressure to lock the hubs...you can disconnect the vacuum lines as well if you want

XJ4IV
11-15-2010, 10:36 PM
unplug the speed sensor... on t-case... does not incur mileage

Mudderoy
11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
unplug the speed sensor... on t-case... does not incur mileage

Wrong SOOO wrong! Besides it is electronic, just wire up a switch and put it on the dash! :rotfl2: