PDA

View Full Version : Off road lighting (or get out of my way lighting)...

Mudderoy
11-13-2010, 03:07 AM
I recently picked up a CARR ROTA light bar from bigjim350. It was one of those you can't pass up deals.

http://www.carr.com/images/lightbars/RotaAnimation.gif

It's in great condition but I think a quick sanding and a nice painting with some rubberized bed liner spray will make it pretty nice.

I already have 4 KC hilites on the front, and if I put this on my Jeep I would have at least 4 lights on the bar. I don't care for the slimlines, and really I would be okay with using a different light for the rack, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Should I even put the rack on my Jeep? What are the advantages of having lights on the roof? I seem to remember someone saying the angle of the lights allows you to see things in better detail when you are off road.

Also my electrical system seems to do fine with 4 100 watt KC lights, head lights, A/C, fan, etc... but would I be pushing my luck with 400 more watts? I don't have to run all 8 at the same time of course, but who are we kidding sure I will. :patriot:

I have looked at a larger diameter light. Maybe a different brand and 8" diameter light as opposed to the 6" KC lights that I have now.

I'm planning on taking a picture with the rack on the Jeep then photoshop in some lights to get a better idea of how it will look and the over all height. I would hate to have to rotate the lights to get in and out of the garage.

Still having that much light would be pretty nice.

What would REALLY be nice to have on this bar would be a LED light bar, but CHA CHING!

So lets hear your thoughts on good idea or not and maybe some light suggestions. What about lights? Brands, sizes, etc...

I was looking at the KC Rally 800 lights. 8" diameter. (black, no chrome lol)
http://xjtalk.com/images/special/kcrally800.jpg

4x4Dalton
11-13-2010, 06:49 AM
I like the KC Apollo Series 6". Plus it would only be 220 watts total for 4 of them(55 watts each).

cantab27
11-13-2010, 06:56 AM
i wouldn't mind lights up there ,, more the fact for night time coming out of the river .. lose light when going up and down slopes plus when crossing rivers ..

Mudderoy
11-13-2010, 10:07 AM
I like the KC Apollo Series 6". Plus it would only be 220 watts total for 4 of them(55 watts each).

Min I'm going to do is 100 watts each. 55 watts is like a head light. The Apollo's are all plastic as well.

i wouldn't mind lights up there ,, more the fact for night time coming out of the river .. lose light when going up and down slopes plus when crossing rivers ..

Hey that makes sense. I never thought about the lights on the the bumper being under water. :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
11-13-2010, 10:09 AM
After looking at the price of the KC Rally 800s maybe I'll just get a pair of them and put those in the middle of my bumper and just do 6" 100watt lights on the top.

Mudderoy
11-16-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm liking those KC Rally 800, spots. Has anyone used, or seen them in action? At $120 a piece?!?!?!!? I just wonder if there is a $45 dollar each difference in the light they give.

XJ Rat
11-17-2010, 01:04 PM
General rule of thumb is to put distance lights on the roof. Like a pencil beam.

Don't forget, start putting stuff on the roof, it limits where you can wheel and even where you can park. I like the rule "nothing above the windshield". That way I know if my windshield passes under an object, the rest of my Jeep will pass under the object.

Mudderoy
11-17-2010, 01:24 PM
General rule of thumb is to put distance lights on the roof. Like a pencil beam.

Don't forget, start putting stuff on the roof, it limits where you can wheel and even where you can park. I like the rule "nothing above the windshield". That way I know if my windshield passes under an object, the rest of my Jeep will pass under the object.

It rotates down, plus I'm going to make it removable, but thanks for the warning!

Punisher
11-17-2010, 04:35 PM
No wonder why your jeep's over heating... carrying all that shit on you XJ :smiley-laughing021: time for a V8 :driving:

XJ Rat
11-18-2010, 07:29 AM
That would be interesting to know how much your Jeep now weighs. I bet it is easily a ton over stock.

Mudderoy
11-18-2010, 08:58 AM
That would be interesting to know how much your Jeep now weighs. I bet it is easily a ton over stock.

hmmm that would be a cool thing to know.

MaxxTraxx
11-18-2010, 03:55 PM
I would run Hella500's on the light bar. You want a bright light, but in a smaller package than the KC's. The wind resistance from the lights will be felt and heard for sure. That's the main reason the bar rotates down...so when you don't need the lights, keep them down for a little better aero profile. Baja race vehicles don't run lights during the day for similar reasons, night, they flip the lights up or mount them on the standoffs from the cage.

That's my .2c. It will look cool for sure.